Prospect Info: 2022 - 1st OA] Juraj Slafkovsky (LW) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
Absolutely his best game thus far, though the major flaws in his decision-making and skating are still manifest. He did appear more comfortable with his passes and puck control.

Also, no one has ever seriously referred to him as a bust at this stage of his career - merely noted glaring flaws and lackluster performance. That said, they would have the same justification for doing the former after a mediocre rookie tournament and two preseason games as anyone who drooled over him due to his success in an equally meaningless Olympics. Both are irrational extrapolations from small sample sizes.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Much better game for Slaf, very encouraging.

He was a deer in the headlights for the first two but seems to be adjusting by taking charge and trusting his instincts. Still a ways to go but this is to be expected from any 18 year old player.

I was a definite supporter of the Laval route but if he continues to improve it may be worth giving him a look with the big club. He does need to further improve on tonight though as there were some poor decisions but I would prefer to focus on the good because there was plenty of that tonight.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I think his biggest issue so far is just knowing his role. He looks lost in his defensive coverage at times or leaves his position to forecheck in situations theres no chance of getting the puck, creating openings for counterattacks. I'm guessing his systems in Finland were much different. MSL also isn't the most technical guy, it could just take some time to adjust.

At least you can see the potential.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
We drafted the Wright kid.
"we did it the White way"... Darren Pang

I think his biggest issue so far is just knowing his role. He looks lost in his defensive coverage at times or leaves his position to forecheck in situations theres no chance of getting the puck, creating openings for counterattacks. I'm guessing his systems in Finland were much different. MSL also isn't the most technical guy, it could just take some time to adjust.

ikr.. it's as if he has been playing a larger ice surface his entire career, and has so much to learn in the best league in the world on smaller ice surface.. give him another game, maybe east some pizza-ghetti pre skate.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021

I was happy he was shooting. Most of his dangerous plays come from putting the puck on net. Know his role. If he plays with Dach, Dach is the passer, he’s the shooter. It won’t work otherwise.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
"we did it the White way"... Darren Pang

ikr.. it's as if he has been playing a larger ice surface his entire career, and has so much to learn in the best league in the world on smaller ice surface.. give him another game, maybe east some pizza-ghetti pre skate.
I thought it was Dreger, no?

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
Much better game for Slaf, very encouraging.

He was a deer in the headlights for the first two but seems to be adjusting by taking charge and trusting his instincts. Still a ways to go but this is to be expected from any 18 year old player.

I was a definite supporter of the Laval route but if he continues to improve it may be worth giving him a look with the big club. He does need to further improve on tonight though as there were some poor decisions but I would prefer to focus on the good because there was plenty of that tonight.
There’s no room for him, unless we wave a veteran..

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
There’s no room for him, unless we wave a veteran..

Oh damn! I wasn't aware of this, somebody should tell Hughes because he is on the record saying that Slaf is being considered for both Montreal and Laval to start the season.

I agree it is difficult to envision a spot for him but there wasn't a spot for Monahan and who saw the Dach trade coming? This management group is very creative and think outside of the box so I wouldn't rely on a linear/traditional decision making process with these guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad