News Article: 2021 World Championship

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
More importantly and relevant, he may be playing for a place on the expansion protection list.

currently we have to expose blackwell and rooney to meet the requirements....anyone else that met the games played would need to sign a new contract before then.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
Personally, because he previously drafted him, and if the Rangers are deciding not to protect him, I would protect Gaut and then make a deal with Francis to expose Gaut so you don't lose him for nothing. I would still protect Gaut over Blackwell, though.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
This is horse shit.

We can argue his usage and absurd leash granted by Quinn but Colin Blackwell is a NHL player.

In the right system and with the right linemates, I agree.

His strength and balance are big, big issues. But used correctly I think he'd be a solid scoring 3rd liner. The fact that he can step into center when needed is a bonus too.

He's my 'most likely' in terms of being picked by Seattle. Gauthier is next up if Blackwell is protected.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't know how you can watch Blackwell and think he's not an NHL player. Is he flawless? No. Is he a gamebreaker? No. Is he a solid little skill guy who also busts his ass every shift and leads by example? Absolutely.

He's inspiring, really. He was a mediocre college player who had to take an AHL deal to start his pro career. He had a weak first year as a professional. He worked hard and turned himself into a quality AHL player and earned an NHL deal. He kept working, got his chance, and seized it, showing clear NHL ability. His path was an unorthodox one where the odds were always squarely against him, but he kept working and looks like he has made a career for himself. That's great. I know it's a watered down tournament this year, but the guy is playing for his country wearing a letter in a major event--five years after being a fourth liner in the AHL.

He'll be an NHL player, either here or elsewhere, for at least as long as he holds up.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I don't know how you can watch Blackwell and think he's not an NHL player. Is he flawless? No. Is he a gamebreaker? No. Is he a solid little skill guy who also busts his ass every shift and leads by example? Absolutely.

He's inspiring, really. He was a mediocre college player who had to take an AHL deal to start his pro career. He had a weak first year as a professional. He worked hard and turned himself into a quality AHL player and earned an NHL deal. He kept working, got his chance, and seized it, showing clear NHL ability. His path was an unorthodox one where the odds were always squarely against him, but he kept working and looks like he has made a career for himself. That's great. I know it's a watered down tournament this year, but the guy is playing for his country wearing a letter in a major event--five years after being a fourth liner in the AHL.

He'll be an NHL player, either here or elsewhere, for at least as long as he holds up.

We tend to wax poetic about veteran leadership at times, but having a guy like Blackwell in the lockerroom may be just as good. He's had to work his ass off for everything he's got at the NHL level.

Strome described him as being very serious; perhaps it would be nice to have some of that determination rub off on our lineup.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Watching Germany once they had the lead was like prime Torts-Rangers: five guys in front of the net at all times allowing all manner of shots but blocking each one.

Reactions: Ola

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

He absolutely is, but he’s the definition of a tweeter. Not big or physical enough for bottom 6 duties, not talented of fast enough for top 6 duties. If left for too long in either role he gets exposed.
He’s a great plug in for a injury or to give some guys a game off here and there. But as we all saw, you ride him heavy in top talent situations it’s not going to end well. He’s great if you want a bit of offense and creativity on 3rd and 4th lines but if he’s not a PK guy or a PP guy there are other better options for long term success of the team.

I have no problem with keeping him as the extra FWd, but he should not be getting more minutes the LaF, Kakko, Kravtsov, Chytil etc. these kids need to play and play a lot in all situations. They need to learn and build off their successes and failures on the ice. They can only practice it and watch it so much but you know as well as I do there’s no substitute for going thru it yourself. True to almost anything in life

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
bro wtf with Team Canada. Do we even want Gallant anymore? lol

They always start slow and can pick it up.

But there is a difference between kids and even the C-tier’s nation’s prime players. Canada has a foundation of pros and the kid play well, but against a strong country like Germany it’s going to be tough with so many juniors.

Gallant? Look, what scares me is that he is a big bark who brings attitude but not really the world class coaching across the board. A game like this does nothing to change that lol. They were like ‘put pucks on the net’ and Canada gave away 4:00 of 5 on 3 with dumb shots never getting through.

But honestly, I know very little of Gallant and a game like this means nothing one way or another.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
They always start slow and can pick it up.

But there is a difference between kids and even the C-tier’s nation’s prime players. Canada has a foundation of pros and the kid play well, but against a strong country like Germany it’s going to be tough with so many juniors.

Gallant? Look, what scares me is that he is a big bark who brings attitude but not really the world class coaching across the board. A game like this does nothing to change that lol. They were like ‘put pucks on the net’ and Canada gave away 4:00 of 5 on 3 with dumb shots never getting through.

But honestly, I know very little of Gallant and a game like this means nothing one way or another.

Canada's team sucks. Just dont think players were too interested in traveling in a pandemic

Reactions: Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This, along with the previous hint, have me thinking Jan Mertzig, but I never would've gotten it otherwise. I can't even believe I remember that name. It's amazing the useless info that's buried in the recesses of our minds.

Hahaha, and I’ve recently come to realize just how effin long time ago some of these things are. Slats ‘you can be a mouse...’ line, seems like it was a few years ago, and my gut feeling was that everyone that isn’t 15 today would remember that one. Then I realized, well if you are 35 you are probably waaaay to young to remember that one.

I remember a tremendous interview with Mertzig where he in an uncensored way talked about his time in HFD. It wasn’t as bad as the stories goes etc etc etc, BUT Dale Purinton, OMG, the details are a little grey, but some crazy stuff. Like his mom showing up for some party with some HA bikers. He was supposedly totally genuinely crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad