WC: 2021 USA Roster Talk

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Would like to see more puck movement hopefully it will develop as the tournament progresses. The power play will improve as the tournament goes on i would imagine.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Would like to see a bit more creativitiy from Capuano on coaching the run and gun is great but the bigger ice calls for passing especially on the power play - the team will wear down if they keep going at this rate.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I haven't been able to follow the tournament. How has Robertson & Oettinger done so far?

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
I haven't been able to follow the tournament. How has Robertson & Oettinger done so far?

Robertson has been one of the best players in the tournament so far. He and Conor Garland have had great chemistry.

Oettinger has only played the one game, when he came in vs Canada after only 6 minutes after Stolarz got injured. Stopped 26 out of 27 shots

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
Guys, your thoughts on Robinson and yes, Justin f***** Abdelkader? I saw his ice time from last game: 20 minutes. Is he any good or what?

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Good to have Tage back. I don't know how to evaluate these last three games. Not bad but still not convinced at all.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
What a disgraceful performance this has been. Especially this last period.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
But they took... Worst performance of the tournament against weakest opponent. Why it sounds so familiar.

Offensively, this was a trash game. That said, the U.S. overall continues to play what I consider to be solid team defense and get very goaltending. All I can hope is the offense gels a bit more.

Reactions: MilesNewton

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Offensively, this was a trash game. That said, the U.S. overall continues to play what I consider to be solid team defense and get very goaltending. All I can hope is the offense gels a bit more.

I don't want to be too negative but I just think that they were lazy especially in last period. They made it harder than it needed to be. Obviously the most important thing is that they took three points and now we are in a good position.

It is nice that for once goaltending is the biggest strength and I agree that defensively this team has been solid. Capuano needs to shake lines a bit and even broke top line because this team need more secondary scoring if they want a medal. Least Tage came back today and played well.

Reactions: MilesNewton

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
I don't want to be too negative but I just think that they were lazy especially in last period. They made it harder than it needed to be. Obviously the most important thing is that they took three points and now we are in a good position.

It is nice that for once goaltending is the biggest strength and I agree that defensively this team has been solid. Capuano needs to shake lines a bit and even broke top line because this team need more secondary scoring if they want a medal. Least Tage came back today and played well.
Agree Capuano needs to mix the lines all together - maybe the GM is telling him who to play.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Our offence stinks big time. Lines needs to be changed. Even the top line has been pretty quiet lately so i think they should shake things up. Petersen is solid as F.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Our offence stinks big time. Lines needs to be changed. Even the top line has been pretty quiet lately so i think they should shake things up. Petersen is solid as F.

Yeah, the offense seems to have dried up a bit but this is a bend but not break team. Good team defense, a lot of heart, and excellent goaltending. Hopefully they can find a bit of an offensive spark starting the quarters.

Reactions: SK94

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Extremely fortunate to get the win in the game when no one shows up. That effort was pathetic. Team couldn't win a face-off, couldn't pass the puck, mostly wouldn't shoot, and when they did it was Thompson shooting 5 feet wide. Petersen was the only player to show up today and was rock solid, even if most of the German shots were harmless. Overall, team is very, very lucky that while they were playing a good team, it was a team with limited offensive ability.

Coaches need to mix up the lines. We've only had 1 line show well thus far, and they haven't looked good in 2 games. Let's hope they're not too stubborn to do the obvious.

Thompson has tools, but no hockey IQ. If he's not making the wrong play, he's trying to do the right thing but he processes everything 1-2 seconds too slowly.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Think some of the posts on here do a disservice to the play of the German team - who played an understandably more desperate game - when criticizing the play of the American team.

True, the USA was outplayed but the team did what it had to do to support Petersen in net and held off a German team that had more talent than previous teams.

Reichel and Peterka are skillful forwards who will prove to be NHL players.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Least Labanc got couple before quarterfinal. The last couple of games doesn't raise medal expectations, but a group win is always a group win. Slovakia was the best option for the quarterfinals. Hopefully in that game the team plays a full 60 minutes and not just the first 40. The last three third periods have been horrible.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Another middling performance but the U.S. ends up winning their pool with a 7-1 record. Only gave up eight goals in eight games. The exact opposite of how I thought this team would play so shows what I know. They need to find another gear offensively but the skating/puck moving of the defense along with buy in from the forwards and excellent goaltending has allowed this team to rise above the relative lack of talent.

Reactions: Czechboy

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It's a LONG tournament.

My guess : N.A. teams struggle to get up for the first game, let alone the 8th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad