WC: 2021 USA Roster Talk

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I said the same thing on the Canada board... US has more NHL players than most countries combined. 3 NHL goalies is a huge plus as well. Definite medal contender in this tourney. Agree that I would've liked to see some of the young studs playing.

Reactions: Kleefeld

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I said the same thing on the Canada board... US has more NHL players than most countries combined. 3 NHL goalies is a huge plus as well. Definite medal contender in this tourney. Agree that I would've liked to see some of the young studs playing.

In the context of this particular tournament this year I'm mildly enthused. At least they went with what purports to be a more offensively oriented lineup. There are some good players at forward that should shine. Goaltending is solid. Defense is a wildcard. We'll see.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
In the end, the team looks pretty good. Perhaps even the dark horse of the tournament. Why it sounds familiar tho that defence is a big question mark again. Least there are right handed guys this time.

Oettinger
Petersen
Stolarz

Jones - Roy
Wolanin - Wideman
Mackey - Tennyson
Shea - Glendening
Hellickson

Donato - Thompson - Robertson
Labanc - Blackwell - Garland
Beniers - Drury - Chmelevski
Robinson - Moore - Abdelkader
Rooney, Boyle

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
In the context of this particular tournament this year I'm mildly enthused. At least they went with what purports to be a more offensively oriented lineup. There are some good players at forward that should shine. Goaltending is solid. Defense is a wildcard. We'll see.
Good pool to get your legs going too!

I don't know much about the D but see that roughly half is NHL calibre... that's good for this tourney! Czechs got Hajek and I'm doing backflips about it.lol

I don't personally see a favourite and think it'll be an awesome tourney. Czechs and Swiss are stronger than usual while everyone else is weaker than usual (I think).

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Sucks to lose Sanderson for paperwork issues :( sometimes from the outside looking in your forget how much administration is going on behind the scenes.

Looking forward to the strangest Canada USA game in a long time!!

edit: not sure how you guys are feeling on the Brian Boyle addition, but, isn’t that guy kinda a beauty? Might not win you a lot of games, but good representative of the team and country.

Reactions: William H Bonney

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Sucks to lose Sanderson for paperwork issues :( sometimes from the outside looking in your forget how much administration is going on behind the scenes.

Looking forward to the strangest Canada USA game in a long time!!

edit: not sure how you guys are feeling on the Brian Boyle addition, but, isn’t that guy kinda a beauty? Might not win you a lot of games, but good representative of the team and country.

Abdelkader and Boyle on a line could be very interesting. But I could also see JA going sideways from frustration like he did the last time he played in the Worlds. We’ll know pretty quickly if Boyle can keep up with the speed of the game.

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA
In the end, the team looks pretty good. Perhaps even the dark horse of the tournament. Why it sounds familiar tho that defence is a big question mark again. Least there are right handed guys this time.

Oettinger
Petersen
Stolarz

Jones - Roy
Wolanin - Wideman
Mackey - Tennyson
Shea - Glendening
Hellickson

Rooney, Boyle

I swear, if Abdelkader gets us eliminated again with another "class act" of his...

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA

Oettinger
Petersen
Stolarz

Jones - Roy
Wolanin - Wideman
Mackey - Tennyson
Shea - Glendening
Hellickson

Rooney, Boyle

Labanc is a much better player than Donato at this point of their careers. I understand Labanc hasn't featured for Team USA as much as him in the past, but he should be much higher up the lineup now.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
It is interesting that Connor Mackey was still playing with Flames and scored his first NHL goal. Tournament begins in Saturday and i guess he is not going to play. In my books he is a top six guy in this defense group.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
It is interesting that Connor Mackey was still playing with Flames and scored his first NHL goal. Tournament begins in Saturday and i guess he is not going to play. In my books he is a top six guy in this defense group.

He's still on the roster, so we'll see. He'll have to quarantine to join the team, so he won't be eligible for the first few games if he does join the team.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice

I suppose he will join later?

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Solid first period but first and second lines needs to get going. Second line has been pretty sharp so far.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
These are always tough losses. First game of the tournament against more prepared team and then couple bounces goes in. Performance was reasonably good but obviously guys need to find their scoring touch. I felt that this was missed opportunity and these early points losses are always really expensive because it makes things more difficult when knockout round starts.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
These are always tough losses. First game of the tournament against more prepared team and then couple bounces goes in. Performance was reasonably good but obviously guys need to find their scoring touch. I felt that this was missed opportunity and these early points losses are always really expensive because it makes things more difficult when knockout round starts.

Yeah, I think this game was here for the taking which is a shame. Good (and disciplined) performance overall. I just hope they don't play down to some of the lesser lights in the group. They also need to bring it against Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad