Boston Bruins 2021 Training Camp II

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
That’s not true, IMO. I think Vaakanainen is strong and physical where it counts— defending in man-to-man coverage. He’s not going to blow someone up along the boards or throw open-ice hits, but he’ll edge forwards out of play and push them off pucks. Unfortunately, he’s also inconsistent in this regard of coverage.

That said, I know a few things about Vaakanainen for certain:

In the SaiPa playoffs a couple years ago, he was arguably the Liiga’s best defenseman and logged several nights of 28:00 TOI and upwards.

He was good when he came to Providence as a rookie and looked to build on that performance.

Last year, he was inconsistent in the AHL and had some nights where he looked quite disengaged and lost.

Last year, he also looked better in his stint with Boston than he did in the AHL.

I think Vaakanainen might just be better in the NHL and from the reports/praise in camp, especially from Cassidy, that somewhat checks out.

Remember, he was a go-to guy in a good league at a younger age than he is now, then he went to the AHL afterwards. Not going to make assumptions about him, but I do think its plausible that he just doesn’t view the AHL as the “Always Hungry League” and might be better served in the NHL.

And no, before it inevitably starts below this by someone, this doesn’t make Vaakanainen “lazy” or “soft” or whatever else the internet latches onto. Many of you would be surprised with how many international players have different views, opinions and attitudes on the AHL and NA hockey in general.

We will see what becomes of Vaakanainen this year, whether it be Boston or Providence. I may not be as high on him as a I once was, but he’s still young and the organization from top to bottom praised him last year for his development. I disagree with their assessment of them, especially Jay Leach’s (shoutout Coach Leach, he’s a GREAT dude) and that’s okay. It’s not personal or directed, it’s just my opinion vs theirs vs all of yours. Let’s talk some hockey, I’m back friends and haters!

giphy.gif

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Moore - Miller would be ugly. Zboril-Miller has much high potential.
Until Zboril spazzes out again and leaves Miller high and dry on a breakaway or takes a really dumb penalty as he's prone to do.

Don't care for him and won't hide it but Bruce obviously likes the pair so what do we have to lose by trying it for a few weeks

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
I get what you are saying, but the reality is that if you are disregarding Scott Neidermayer's offense, you are not really comparing him to Scott Niedermayer.

I would actually argue that the better comparison is Brandon Carlo. Carlo is an elite skater with great gap control and high defensive IQ.

they are similar Indeed but i feel like Carlo can get away with more because of his reach/size though while Vaak has to rely more on his skating / tight gap

while i've only seen stints of Vaak and his gap control it was damn impressive, it's the first thing i noticed.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Until Zboril spazzes out again and leaves Miller high and dry on a breakaway or takes a really dumb penalty as he's prone to do.

Don't care for him and won't hide it but Bruce obviously likes the pair so what do we have to lose by trying it for a few weeks

I don’t think he’s played nearly enough in the NHL to suggest this is something that will be consistently in his game.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I hope it won't be but if he looks bad after 10 games they can't be shy to make a change.

Still has to make the team. I hope he just plays well enough to get in the 10 games. I like his game. He’s been getting better since going pro. It’s been slower but he plays a modern game and has some nasty. Hope he brings it.

I could see them going with him since he needs waivers and they need to see what he can do? If he sucks, he’s potentially gone.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
based on scrimmage it looks like our starting 20 is somewhat set. I would be interested I hearing wjo people think will be on our taxi squad.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Still has to make the team. I hope he just plays well enough to get in the 10 games. I like his game. He’s been getting better since going pro. It’s been slower but he plays a modern game and has some nasty. Hope he brings it.

I could see them going with him since he needs waivers and they need to see what he can do? If he sucks, he’s potentially gone.
I am skeptical but keeping an open mind.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
That’s not true, IMO. I think Vaakanainen is strong and physical where it counts— defending in man-to-man coverage. He’s not going to blow someone up along the boards or throw open-ice hits, but he’ll edge forwards out of play and push them off pucks. Unfortunately, he’s also inconsistent in this regard of coverage.

That said, I know a few things about Vaakanainen for certain:

In the SaiPa playoffs a couple years ago, he was arguably the Liiga’s best defenseman and logged several nights of 28:00 TOI and upwards.

He was good when he came to Providence as a rookie and looked to build on that performance.

Last year, he was inconsistent in the AHL and had some nights where he looked quite disengaged and lost.

Last year, he also looked better in his stint with Boston than he did in the AHL.

I think Vaakanainen might just be better in the NHL and from the reports/praise in camp, especially from Cassidy, that somewhat checks out.

Remember, he was a go-to guy in a good league at a younger age than he is now, then he went to the AHL afterwards. Not going to make assumptions about him, but I do think its plausible that he just doesn’t view the AHL as the “Always Hungry League” and might be better served in the NHL.

And no, before it inevitably starts below this by someone, this doesn’t make Vaakanainen “lazy” or “soft” or whatever else the internet latches onto. Many of you would be surprised with how many international players have different views, opinions and attitudes on the AHL and NA hockey in general.

We will see what becomes of Vaakanainen this year, whether it be Boston or Providence. I may not be as high on him as a I once was, but he’s still young and the organization from top to bottom praised him last year for his development. I disagree with their assessment of them, especially Jay Leach’s (shoutout Coach Leach, he’s a GREAT dude) and that’s okay. It’s not personal or directed, it’s just my opinion vs theirs vs all of yours. Let’s talk some hockey, I’m back friends and haters!

Anthony, welcome back. Let's just say it hasn't been the same without you.

The collective IQ of these boards has gone up by about 10% with you back.

Let's do this!

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I am not a fan of Bjork on the 4th line but Bruce clearly does. Same with the PK

Moore should be in over Zboril
I agree on Bjork, unless Bruce is looking for more speed and production from that line.

As for Moore, they already know what they're getting in him. This is a tryout for z to see where he fits on the team.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
based on scrimmage it looks like our starting 20 is somewhat set. I would be interested I hearing wjo people think will be on our taxi squad.

I'm assuming the 23-man roster will look something like this (including Pastrnak):

Bergeron
Marchand
Pastrnak
DeBrusk
Krejci
Kase
Ritchie
Coyle
Smith
Bjork
Kuraly
Wagner
Studnicka
McAvoy
Carlo
Grzelcyk
Lauzon
Miller
Zboril
Moore
Clifton
Rask
Halak

Then 6 man taxi squad:
Lindholm
Kuhlman
Kampfer
Booth
2 of McKegg, Blidh, or Carey

I think Lindholm, Kuhlman, and Kampfer are likely locks for it. The goalie spot and 2 other potential spots are subject to change. I specifically left out guys like Vladar and Frederic because my assumption is that they'll want them to get playing time in the AHL when it starts in February. All of the guys in this taxi squad aren't players where you're concerned about getting development playing time.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'm assuming the 23-man roster will look something like this (including Pastrnak):

Bergeron
Marchand
Pastrnak
DeBrusk
Krejci
Kase
Ritchie
Coyle
Smith
Bjork
Kuraly
Wagner
Studnicka
McAvoy
Carlo
Grzelcyk
Lauzon
Miller
Zboril
Moore
Clifton
Rask
Halak

Then 6 man taxi squad:
Lindholm
Kuhlman
Kampfer
Booth
2 of McKegg, Blidh, or Carey

I think Lindholm, Kuhlman, and Kampfer are likely locks for it. The goalie spot and 2 other potential spots are subject to change. I specifically left out guys like Vladar and Frederic because my assumption is that they'll want them to get playing time in the AHL when it starts in February. All of the guys in this taxi squad aren't players where you're concerned about getting development playing time.

I think you could see a guy like Frederic on the taxi squad to start the season until the AHL opens up. I think Bjork is going to get the first crack at the L4 spot, but Cassidy has seemed impressed with Frederic.

Reactions: smack66

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Not going to lie, a PK duo of Coyle/Studnicka could cause problems for teams. Stud's was a monster on the PK and led the AHL in PK scoring and Coyle himself had a few shorty's last season.

Has Coyle played the pk before?

I always remember DK was next man up when Bergie was in the box.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I think you could see a guy like Frederic on the taxi squad to start the season until the AHL opens up. I think Bjork is going to get the first crack at the L4 spot, but Cassidy has seemed impressed with Frederic.

Its all about matchups with the short schedule.

If we play a bigger team, Fred, Ritchie will be in..if we play a faster team, youll see Bjork / Kulhman

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
Backes on waivers... Kinda feels pointless we spent a 1st to trade 4.5 mil of his cap when we have pretty much exactly that much space (once Lindholm and Blidh are sent down).

I guess the logic is the bruins thought they had a move up their sleeve this off-season but couldn't finalize Hall, couldn't finalize OEL, not even cheap 1 year Hoffman, as per usual.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad