Boston Bruins 2021 Training Camp II

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Good on Wags for standing up. Can't let a guy teammate walk over you just because he's all world. Marshy may just be trying to push the intensity in this one.

Good for Marchand, already showing leadership with now being a permanent Asst captain. Training camp is really short this year and everyone has to be ready to hit the ground running, thus the intensity from him, love it.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Vaak skating/gap control/IQ reminds me a lot of Scott Niedermayer MINUS the offensive ability. If he can grow into a Niedermayer-LIGHT it would be amazing.
I can't really think of any comparable player that skates/controls the gap like he does.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Looks like ANH has placed Backes on waiver. Sad to see such a great guy go out like this
LeBrun has a tweet that makes it seem like this just might be some cap maneuvering, but that he'll likely play. Hopefully he gets time on their NHL squad. I was always a huge Backes fan and was thrilled when we signed him, but knew deep down it was a bad/too long contract.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Vaak skating/gap control/IQ reminds me a lot of Scott Niedermayer MINUS the offensive ability. If he can grow into a Niedermayer-LIGHT it would be amazing.
I can't really think of any comparable player that skates/controls the gap like he does.
This is on par with most of the scouting reports I've seen to date. I've always thought he makes sense long term as a partner for McAvoy. Solid skating, and mobile. Can be more of the shutdown focused guy to free up Charlie to focus more on the breakout/offense side.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
This is on par with most of the scouting reports I've seen to date. I've always thought he makes sense long term as a partner for McAvoy. Solid skating, and mobile. Can be more of the shutdown focused guy to free up Charlie to focus more on the breakout/offense side.

agree 100%,

Kosi

Jul 29, 2019

Reminds me of Cam Fowler. Great skating, great stick...no physical edge.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
There is absolutely no way Paul Carey will be on the top line for a real. He is a placeholder for today's practice only. Coaching staff seems to be looking at Bjork and Studnicka. For today, I think they just want to find out who moves the needle more when they are on the same team.
Bjork on the top line and Griz in the top 4 and people wonder why I am pessimistic about this season.

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
One thing to keep in mind is the players skating in Europe and playing games in competition should have an advantage when it comes to tempo, passing and puck control. They're already in game condition while the others haven't played a game since the playoffs or for some since March.

They others will catch up but I think it could show during early scrimmage and games. For ex Jakub Zboril has 18 games in Czech highest competition, Urho Vakanainen not so many but still. They could be an advantage over Jeremy Lauzon for example in the early going.

Daniel Vladar played six games in Czech first tier and a kid like goalie Jeremy Swayman hasn't play a game since March. Good to see him do well.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Bjork on the top line and Griz in the top 4 and people wonder why I am pessimistic about this season.
I think Bjork is simply holding Marchand spot and will likely be 4th line or taxi squad. I dont mind Gryz as long as we have some other D that bring toughness

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
Reminds me of Cam Fowler. Great skating, great stick...no physical edge.

That’s not true, IMO. I think Vaakanainen is strong and physical where it counts— defending in man-to-man coverage. He’s not going to blow someone up along the boards or throw open-ice hits, but he’ll edge forwards out of play and push them off pucks. Unfortunately, he’s also inconsistent in this regard of coverage.

That said, I know a few things about Vaakanainen for certain:

In the SaiPa playoffs a couple years ago, he was arguably the Liiga’s best defenseman and logged several nights of 28:00 TOI and upwards.

He was good when he came to Providence as a rookie and looked to build on that performance.

Last year, he was inconsistent in the AHL and had some nights where he looked quite disengaged and lost.

Last year, he also looked better in his stint with Boston than he did in the AHL.

I think Vaakanainen might just be better in the NHL and from the reports/praise in camp, especially from Cassidy, that somewhat checks out.

Remember, he was a go-to guy in a good league at a younger age than he is now, then he went to the AHL afterwards. Not going to make assumptions about him, but I do think its plausible that he just doesn’t view the AHL as the “Always Hungry League” and might be better served in the NHL.

And no, before it inevitably starts below this by someone, this doesn’t make Vaakanainen “lazy” or “soft” or whatever else the internet latches onto. Many of you would be surprised with how many international players have different views, opinions and attitudes on the AHL and NA hockey in general.

We will see what becomes of Vaakanainen this year, whether it be Boston or Providence. I may not be as high on him as a I once was, but he’s still young and the organization from top to bottom praised him last year for his development. I disagree with their assessment of them, especially Jay Leach’s (shoutout Coach Leach, he’s a GREAT dude) and that’s okay. It’s not personal or directed, it’s just my opinion vs theirs vs all of yours. Let’s talk some hockey, I’m back friends and haters!

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
That’s not true, IMO. I think Vaakanainen is strong and physical where it counts— defending in man-to-man coverage. He’s not going to blow someone up along the boards or throw open-ice hits, but he’ll edge forwards out of play and push them off pucks. Unfortunately, he’s also inconsistent in this regard of coverage.

In the SaiPa playoffs a couple years ago, he was arguably the Liiga’s best defenseman and logged several nights of 28:00 TOI and upwards.

He was good when he came to Providence as a rookie and looked to build on that performance.

Last year, he was inconsistent in the AHL and had some nights where he looked quite disengaged and lost.

Last year, he also looked better in his stint with Boston than he did in the AHL.

I think Vaakanainen might just be better in the NHL and from the reports/praise in camp, especially from Cassidy, that somewhat checks out.

Remember, he was a go-to guy in a good league at a younger age than he is now, then he went to the AHL afterwards. Not going to make assumptions about him, but I do think its plausible that he just doesn’t view the AHL as the “Always Hungry League” and might be better served in the NHL.

And no, before it inevitably starts below this by someone, this doesn’t make Vaakanainen “lazy” or “soft” or whatever else the internet latches onto. Many of you would be surprised with how many international players have different views, opinions and attitudes on the AHL and NA hockey in general.

We will see what becomes of Vaakanainen this year, whether it be Boston or Providence. I may not be as high on him as a I once was, but he’s still young and the organization from top to bottom praised him last year for his development. I disagree with their assessment of them, especially Jay Leach’s (shoutout Coach Leach, he’s a GREAT dude) and that’s okay. It’s not personal or directed, it’s just my opinion vs theirs vs all of yours. Let’s talk some hockey, I’m back friends and haters!

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day... :welcome:

We have cookies, just ask @Bruinaura when you're hungry :nod:

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

I get what you are saying, but the reality is that if you are disregarding Scott Neidermayer's offense, you are not really comparing him to Scott Niedermayer.

I would actually argue that the better comparison is Brandon Carlo. Carlo is an elite skater with great gap control and high defensive IQ.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Glad you're back, man. Forget the shitheads, there are ignore buttons for those people :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad