WJC: 2021 Team USA Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Is the possibility of NHL U20 players taking part just a pipe dream or is that a real possibility? If NHL starts sometime in Jan then idk if teams would send guys like Hughes or Kakko or Dach if the season is just about to start. Guessing Nick Robertson is now in the same boat as the other U20 NHLers.

Turcotte not listed, assuming he is/ will be in Germany with Berlin.

No Arthur Kaliyev or Trevor Zegras on this roster

Last edited:

WRC

Dec 15, 2019
Why no RD Scott Morrow?

Someone like Marshall Warren isn't even a lock on this team (he should make it though), and he had a solid season at Boston College last year. Why would they bother inviting a 17 year old that is still playing prep school this year??
Note: If you respond, please don't just cite his stats from Shattuck.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Someone like Marshall Warren isn't even a lock on this team (he should make it though), and he had a solid season at Boston College last year. Why would they bother inviting a 17 year old that is still playing prep school this year??

Oh...its u20's

But still there are few 2002 born selected.
By the way i watched several games, his, last season and he is legit right handed d-man.

2nd-3rd rounder in the 2021 draft at worst.

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020
Oh...its u20's

By the way i watched several games, his, last season and he is legit right handed d-man.

That probably about right but that still not good enough to land him on a loaded USA WJC team with 2001's defenseman. He may have a good shot next year.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

He's just playing with Shattuck right now because the USHL season was delayed.

Last edited:

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Oh...its u20's

I liked what I saw from Scott Morrow last year. Only a couple games though - one of them happened to be a game where he got called up to play with the Youngstown Phantoms.

I thought he didn't look out of place in the USHL. Jumped into the attack and played with confidence. Also was very good on the breakout and hit his passes. He'd be in pretty tough to make the team this year, but one to keep an eye on how he develops.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Knies is an interesting add. I believe he’s the only 2021 draft eligible at the camp. Good player. I think he has a chance to go first round. Reminds me of Matt Boldy with worse skating.

PuckProspects

Jul 23, 2018
Knies is an interesting add. I believe he’s the only 2021 draft eligible at the camp. Good player. I think he has a chance to go first round. Reminds me of Matt Boldy with worse skating.
Beniers is also a 2021 draft eligible. Agree with Knies pretty solid player good for him for getting the invite.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Zero if the NHL is indeed starting in Jan 1st.
You're right but I don't get why. Maybe Hughes is the exception because he played for the Devils last year, and maybe he would see it as a demotion, but there's NO reason why ALL the eligible players shouldn't play at the WJR's, given the fact that the NHL is not starting until 2021.

Best/Worst case scenario (depending on your perspective), a player joins their NHL team on Jan 6th - with less than a week lost.

Let the kids play with their peers and have one last kick at the WJR can - it definitely would be a win for the fans!

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
You're right but I don't get why. Maybe Hughes is the exception because he played for the Devils last year, and maybe he would see it as a demotion, but there's NO reason why ALL the eligible players shouldn't play at the WJR's, given the fact that the NHL is not starting until 2021.

Best/Worst case scenario (depending on your perspective), a player joins their NHL team on Jan 6th - with less than a week lost.

Let the kids play with their peers and have one last kick at the WJR can - it definitely would be a win for the fans!

I think it's more than just the regular season start. They'd also miss a bunch of NHL training camp, which will likely be shortened significantly already and thus even more crucial. There are Covid quarantine considerations too, where it may not be as simple as just rejoining the NHL club.

If the NHL start were to be further delayed, or if the WJC were moved up, I could see some of the NHL guys playing. But no NHL team is going to release a full time roster player for a junior tournament.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
...or if the WJC were moved up...
That's an idea worth considering. Maybe have the finals on New Years Eve? Even then, it might not be enough of a cushion to keep NHL teams happy with lending their players.

After thinking about it, there may not be enough eligible players who will be playing in the NHL to make it worth worrying about.

Reactions: William H Bonney

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
What could the roster look like if there is no NHL? Some mix of this group of players?

BoldyHughesCaufield
RobertsonZegrasKaliyev
BrissonTurcotteColangelo
BeecherBordeleauBrink
BeniersLindmarkCaufield
PetersonTuch
YorkThrun
SandersonHelleson
JohnsonSkinner
KlevenFensore
Knight
Wolf