WJC: 2021 Team USA Roster Talk

Discussion in 'International Tournaments' started by Jaykay, Jan 2, 2020.

1. canuck2010

canuck2010 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Think you're missing the point It has nothing to do with granny and grampa. The USA can take advantage of the offspring of pro hockey players born in the USA even if Dad comes from Kenya. Counting the number of NHL and AHL teams it does represent an unusual advantage for the red white and blue. Just sayin'

Dominance likes this.
  2. Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich AV AND GORTON OUT

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Student
    I was commenting specifically on that one player. I think Turcotte is far enough removed that you can’t claim the US gets an advantage because his grandfather is Canadian. The grandfather didn’t even play pro hockey. He could’ve easily moved back to Canada after college hockey, but didn’t.

I understand the point you are making. We get some benefit from it. There’s no doubt about that.

3. canuck2010

canuck2010 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Apologies don't want you to think I was getting snarky. I've never thought of Turcotte as anything but American. As well I should say that I have enjoyed your posts through this whole World Juniors, they have helped to make it a lot more fun.

Missy Franklin was Canadian too by the way lol. :D:D:D:D:D

4. FinPanda

FinPanda Team Finland 2019 WJC champions

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
  5. ASPIFC

ASPIFC Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I don't know what i am doing here. Waiting another underperforming and badly coached team, i guess. But anyway. Our group is going to be tough again.

Russia
    Sweden
    USA
    Czech Republic
    Austria

Unfortunately quarterfinal exit against Finland is real possibility...

I would like to see Motzko back. He has experience and good track record.

SpartanProdigy likes this.
  6. Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich AV AND GORTON OUT

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Student
    I think Wroblewski should be the coach. He did a great job with the 2001's, and is currently doing an even better job with the 2003's.

7. ASPIFC

ASPIFC Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Wrobo is decent but he failed with U18 team last spring. I don't think he is even option because he is coaching NTDP.

8. William H Bonney

William H Bonney Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Some of these posts in this thread. While I don't agree that this iteration is the gold medal favorite, they are likely a gold medal favorite. That's because there's basically 5 gold medal contenders every tournament and there are too many unknowns at this point for all teams to really get into more than that, but some of these comments are asinine. How you could look at that paper roster and say "unimpressive offense" is mind boggling. Whether it would be an impressive offense in terms of results is another thing. I get it that it's a bunch of Canadians in here to gloat, but you think after their team crashed and burned in the 2019 WJC only to turn around and win gold in 2020 they'd understand why USAH fans are enthused about the possibility of our 2020 WJC forward group with how many highly skilled returnees they'll have.

9. William H Bonney

William H Bonney Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Here goes a guess at a potential WJSS camp roster. A lot will change for these guys' chances in the next 4 months, but nonetheless:

Forwards (x24):

John Beecher
    Matt Beniers
    Brett Berard
    Blake Biondi
    Matthew Boldy
    Thomas Bordeleau
    Bobby Brink
    Brendan Brisson
    Cole Caufield
    Judd Caulfield
    John Farinacci
    Sean Farrell
    Avery Hayes
    Arthur Kaliyev
    Trevor Kuntar
    Owen Lindmark
    Robert Mastrosimone
    Patrick Moynihan
    Nick Robertson
    Ty Smilanic
    Luke Tuch
    Alex Turcotte
    Luke Toporowski
    Trevor Zegras

Defense (x16):

Noah Ellis
    Domenic Fensore
    Drew Helleson
    Ryan Johnson
    Tyler Kleven
    Jackson LaCombe
    Case McCarthy
    Mitch Miller
    Eamon Powell
    Jake Sanderson
    Hunter Skinner
    Jayden Struble
    Henry Thrun
    Jacob Truscott
    Marshall Warren
    Cam York

Goalies (x4):

Drew Commesso
    Spencer Knight
    Tucker Tynan
    Dustin Wolf
    Notes:
    • On paper, it should be - along with the other usual favorites - a gold medal favorite: a top-flight goalie, a potentially potent offense, and what should be a better puck moving defense than the 2020 team. There's a lot of variables in play for a paper roster becoming a good team though and I have little faith in USAH not screwing it up.
    • Obviously no Jack Hughes, but I don't think the odds are high we lose anyone else. It's possible as very few people expected we'd lose Farabee this time last year and I think a couple of these guys (i.e. Zegras, Turcotte, Caufield) could potentially play in the NHL next year but whether that's the right thing developmentally for them is another question. Anaheim and LA in particular are both atrocious, so unless they think another year of NCAA hockey would hurt them, why rush Zegras and Turcotte as the NHL teams will probably suck again next season? The challenge is there could be a lot of opportunity to make those teams, especially if those teams are big sellers are the deadline.
    • Should be a team dominated by '01s. I don't think there's more than a handful or so of '02s right now with more than a decent shot at making it. The '02 group isn't great but there are some '02s capable of being good players in this tournament, such as Beniers, Bordeleau, etc. And given how the '00s performed in the WJC, I doubt the '02s can do any worse. The real concern will be the 2021 WJC when the '02s need to carry the load.
    • Up front there's a lot of talent. Whether that ends up translating to a potent offense come tournament time only time will tell. One nice thing is there's less obvious grinders you just know USAH will want to force on the team like in years past. There are guys that may make it and play that role like Lindmark, Farinacci, etc. but they're good players.
    • On defense, it's a fairly wide open group. York is a lock and guys like Johnson and LaCombe have inside tracks, but then it's pretty wide open competition. The RHD will be interesting again. Unlike the 2019 team where there was an obvious lock (Emberson), there's not one for this team, although there are more options this go around (Ellis, Skinner, Helleson, McCarthy, Miller, Powell) than there were this past year where it was only really Emberson, Regula, and Wilde.
    • The two biggest names I've left off are probably Antonio Stranges and Alex Vlasic. Stranges is obviously very polarizing but after the bailed NTDP commitment and the Hlinka snub, I think it's unlikely he's here, although with his skill I think he should get a look. Vlasic is probably at camp but we're in big trouble if he's actually in contention for the team. He's big but soft, he's not a good skater, he can't play defense, and he has no offensive ability. If it wasn't for his name and pre-NTDP hype, no one would even consider him for the camp.
    • Other possible invitees:
      • Alex Gaffney, Ryder Rolston, Matthew Knies, Ryan Kirwan, Cross Hanas, Austen Swankler, Tanner Dickinson, Bear Hughes, Lukas Svejkovsky, Michael Koster, Brock Gould
      • It's harder for me to follow the CHL guys, so if someone has better insight into some of those names and whether they should be in play or not that'd be awesome.
    • My biggest concerns:
      • Coaching. We need a coach that builds a system for his players and doesn't try to force the players into his regular team's system. Thankfully Sandelin won't be back but to be honest I don't want an NCAA coach at all. Depending on how it shakes out, I wouldn't mind them tapping an unemployed NHL coach like they did Ron Wilson in 2016. Maybe a guy like Laviolette if he chooses not to take an NHL offer next season.
      • Center. Turcotte is obviously one of the top 2 centers, but if Zegras is at wing, who are the other scoring line centers? Some primary candidates are guys like Beecher, Brisson, and Bordeleau. Beecher is likely best suited for a 3rd line center role. Brisson will be 19 but we need to see him at a higher level first, so hopefully he can track like Pinto did. It's asking a lot for Bordeleau to center a scoring line as an 18 year old if they even consider him a center.
      • Do we get a true #1 defenseman? Unlike the 2019 WJC squad, I think there's a better chance for it happening as York has that potential. I'm sure some folks are weary since he barely played this tournament, but it wouldn't be much different than Charlie McAvoy who barely played in the 2016 WJC and then was huge in the #1 role at the 2017 WJC. They're very similar caliber players at the same age, although McAvoy was trending upward quickly in his 18/19 year old seasons, so hopefully York can as well.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020