WJC: 2021 Team USA Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Never too early to look ahead after a really disappointing tournament. This is assuming everyone is back (expect Hughes I guess), but I could see any of Zegras, Turcotte, Kaliyev, or Caufield not being available.

You could very easily make this team with all '01s but that seems unlikely. It says a lot about how good the '01 age group is but even more about how weak the '02s are.

Kaliyev-Zegras-Caufield
Robertson-Turcotte-Brink
Boldy-Beecher-Farinacci
Mastrosimone-Lindmark-Caulfield
13th F: Farrell/Smilinac/Moynihan/Stranges

York-Helleson
Thrun-Johnson
Lacombe-Struble
7th D: Fensore/Sanderson/Warren

Knight
Wolf
Commesso

Hard to not imagine this team being the gold medal favorite.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Hopefully Sandelin isn't back next year. Obviously the players need to perform, but he handcuffed the team with his lineup decisions and ice time distribution. It should not be surprising that the team struggled to score throughout much of the tournament. Way too much time to grinders in scoring roles.

Coaching not to lose instead of coaching to win is a sure way to ensure you lose when the games get tough.

Reactions: SpartanProdigy

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
one of the best US U20 rosters ever

never played to potential

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Hopefully Sandelin isn't back next year. Obviously the players need to perform, but he handcuffed the team with his lineup decisions and ice time distribution. It should not be surprising that the team struggled to score throughout much of the tournament. Way too much time to grinders in scoring roles.

Coaching not to lose instead of coaching to win is a sure way to ensure you lose when the games get tough.

There's 0 chance Sandelin will be back.

heynowbababooey

Sep 29, 2017
They looked off the entire game. Couldn't make passes, weren't skating and played with zero urgency. Even during the 6 on 4 at the end. What the f***. Aside from the shot that went off the crossbar I cant think of any other point where we were a threat. To top it off with the elbow at the end. I'm just so embarrassed. Easily the worst coached USA team I've ever seen. Bring back Motzko.

Reactions: Sick Nuzuki

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Looks like yet another weak defense, and an unimpressive offense especially considering how invisible some of those top guys were this tournament, and that all of Zegras, Turcotte, and Caufield have significant chances to make the NHL next year, as their teams seem to have spots ready for them. Calling that team gold medal favourites is laughable, if you ask me it looks far weaker than the average US team we have seen these past years. Knight could theoretically win a medal for Kazakhstan though, it seems, so who knows.

PuckProspects

Jul 23, 2018

Forward lines if Sandelin came back

Robertson-Lindmark-Caufield
Zegras-Beecher-Caulfield
Farrell-Turcotte-Brink
Kaliyev-Whoever-Whoever
Boldy

Got to spread out the talent

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Looks like yet another weak defense, and an unimpressive offense especially considering how invisible some of those top guys were this tournament, and that all of Zegras, Turcotte, and Caufield have significant chances to make the NHL next year, as their teams seem to have spots ready for them. Calling that team gold medal favourites is laughable, if you ask me it looks far weaker than the average US team we have seen these past years. Knight could theoretically win a medal for Kazakhstan though, it seems, so who knows.

As an Anaheim fan, I’m not so sure about Zegras. I don’t think I’m alone in that opinion either. He needs to get bigger and stronger. He needs to physically mature some more. With his frame, I just don’t think he’s ready.

I can’t pretend to know Murray’s intentions, and maybe it depends some on what the 2020 draft ends up looking like for them, but there is no need to rush Zegras and many reasons not to. Zegras has undeniable talent, but if he isn’t ready to handle the strength and physicality of the NHL, then he needs more time. Right now, I think he will need more time.

I wouldn’t pencil Zegras into the Anaheim line-up just yet.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
As an LA fan, I’m not so sure about Turcotte. I don’t think I’m alone in that opinion either. He needs to get bigger and stronger. He needs to physically mature some more. With his frame, I just don’t think he’s ready.

I can’t pretend to know Blake’s intentions, and maybe it depends some on what the 2020 draft ends up looking like for them, but there is no need to rush Turcotte and many reasons not to. Turcotte has undeniable talent, but if he isn’t ready to handle the strength and physicality of the NHL, then he needs more time. Right now, I think he will need more time.

I wouldn’t pencil Turcotte into the LA line-up just yet.

You perfectly described how I feel about Turcotte, and changing a few things in your post reflects that.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
As an Anaheim fan, I’m not so sure about Zegras. I don’t think I’m alone in that opinion either. He needs to get bigger and stronger. He needs to physically mature some more. With his frame, I just don’t think he’s ready.

I can’t pretend to know Murray’s intentions, and maybe it depends some on what the 2020 draft ends up looking like for them, but there is no need to rush Zegras and many reasons not to. Zegras has undeniable talent, but if he isn’t ready to handle the strength and physicality of the NHL, then he needs more time. Right now, I think he will need more time.

I wouldn’t pencil Zegras into the Anaheim line-up just yet.
Any chance they turn him pro after this year and then are able to make the decision between the AHL and NHL?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Any chance they turn him pro after this year and then are able to make the decision between the AHL and NHL?

I don’t see why not. I think Zegras was pretty up front that he wasn’t committed to finishing out in BU. Could be a really good option for him.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Caulfield on the first line :laugh::laugh::help:

Kid should never see the ice in this tournament again, he is awful.
He was bad this tournament, there’s no avoiding that, but this is a really bad take nevertheless. There’s such a greater body of work to consider, and examples abound of 18 year olds who fail to meet expectations in their first WJC and then come back and dominate the following year.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Boldy Mastrosimone and Helleson could have helped this year.

I just hope Sandeline isn’t back coaching.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Boldy Mastrosimone and Helleson could have helped this year.

I just hope Sandeline isn’t back coaching.

Could've used Mastrosimones energy in that game against Finland it seems.

It will be interesting with Beecher. He could face a decent suspension from that hit today

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Hard to not imagine this team being the gold medal favorite.
Not that hard. We just watched a team consisting of mostly that lineup flame out in the quarterfinals without putting up that much of a fight.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Not that hard. We just watched a team consisting of mostly that lineup flame out in the quarterfinals without putting up that much of a fight.

One year later when you’re 18 can make a big difference.

I don’t disagree with you, but it’s also hard not to look at the team we just saw as being held back in a big way by coaching. The team had talent. It just didn’t feel like the talent was being used properly.

Even with some of the guys who are being crapped on for poor performances, you can honestly ask if maybe the coach was the biggest issue for them too. I watched these games wondering if the coach was trying to run a team based on what he wanted, or if he was trying to run a team based on what he actually had.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Could've used Mastrosimones energy in that game against Finland it seems.

It will be interesting with Beecher. He could face a decent suspension from that hit today

yeah I think Beecher is definitely suspended for that.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
One year later when you’re 18 can make a big difference.

I don’t disagree with you, but it’s also hard not to look at the team we just saw as being held back in a big way by coaching. The team had talent. It just didn’t feel like the talent was being used properly.

Even with some of the guys who are being crapped on for poor performances, you can honestly ask if maybe the coach was the biggest issue for them too. I watched these games wondering if the coach was trying to run a team based on what he wanted, or if he was trying to run a team based on what he actually had.
He said "hard not to imagine them being THE favorite for gold" -- I'm not going to spent much effort refuting the statement given that the game today should have done enough.
They are always one of the favorites, but suggesting that a few changes to the lineup that the US braintrust thought was best would make the difference between quarterfinal flop and gold favorite is pretty obnoxious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad