Dec 8, 2013
New York
Best lineup

Robertson-Turcotte-Kaliyev
Boldy-Zegras-Caufield
Brisson-Bordeleau-Brink
Beniers-Beecher-Caulfield
Mastrosimone

Top Replacements: Farinacci, Lindmark, Farrell, Rolston, Kuntar, Smilanic, Stranges, Berard, Peterson, Biondi, Colangelo, Schingoethe, Janicke, Lucius

York-Thrun
Johnson-Helleson
Sanderson-Skinner
Struble

Top Replacements: Lacombe, Miller, Reid, Powell, Kleven, Truscott, Faber, Hughes, Gallagher, Hreschuk, Fensore

Knight
Wolf
Commesso

Top Replacements: Rowe, Haider, Basse, Tynan, Grannan

I think Turcotte, Caufield and Zegras could all be in the NHL next season. If I was to guess, I'd say Turcotte and Caufield aren't back, and Zegras is. I'm not going to mention Hughes because if he didn't return this year, he's not returning next year.

This team, in theory, should be the best team, but if we get a bad coach again, a repeat of this tournament could happen.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Looks like yet another weak defense, and an unimpressive offense especially considering how invisible some of those top guys were this tournament, and that all of Zegras, Turcotte, and Caufield have significant chances to make the NHL next year, as their teams seem to have spots ready for them. Calling that team gold medal favourites is laughable, if you ask me it looks far weaker than the average US team we have seen these past years. Knight could theoretically win a medal for Kazakhstan though, it seems, so who knows.

Are you seriously going to say that the players aren't good because for a two week sample during the year they weren't on top form? Many of them were also completely marginalized by their coach this year, and I thought Zegras was pretty good all tournament.

Even if Turcotte, Caufield and Zegras are all in the NHL, which is unlikely, it still includes returning forwards Kaliyev, Robertson, Brink and Beecher. Thats better than the returning forwards we had this year with Wahlstrom and Drury. That also doesn't include Boldy, a top 15 pick that would probably be the best forward on the team. He should've been on the team this year.

Is the defense going to be any weaker than this year? I personally think it'll be pretty similar. Defense wasn't the problem this year, although it would be nice to have a top flight defensemen. Thats something we won't have next year.

Which rosters look better for next year? This was the age group that the USA dominated in for a few years at U17 and U18 level. We certainly could win without a few of these players, and if we are only missing Hughes, I don't know why we wouldn't be the favorites.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He said "hard not to imagine them being THE favorite for gold" -- I'm not going to spent much effort refuting the statement given that the game today should have done enough.
They are always one of the favorites, but suggesting that a few changes to the lineup that the US braintrust thought was best would make the difference between quarterfinal flop and gold favorite is pretty obnoxious.

I think it's even more obnoxious to troll a team that lost a few hours ago. If you don't like it, why don't you go back to your own team's thread instead of trying to troll us because we like our team for next year?

Besides, why should I care about the result this year? Canada had the same result last year. Many of you called them the favorite this year. The roster from one year to the next is irrelevant, and coaching makes a huge difference. Do you think the USA didn't have a top 4 roster at this tournament? If we agree that the USA had a top four roster at the tournament, you can't then say that talent was a problem with a QF loss. I'd argue it was a top 2-3 roster at the tournament.

Reactions: Snippit

blindpass

May 7, 2010
I think it's even more obnoxious to troll a team that lost a few hours ago. If you don't like it, why don't you go back to your own team's thread instead of trying to troll us because we like our team for next year?

Besides, why should I care about the result this year? Canada had the same result last year. Many of you called them the favorite this year. The roster from one year to the next is irrelevant, and coaching makes a huge difference. Do you think the USA didn't have a top 4 roster at this tournament? If we agree that the USA had a top four roster at the tournament, you can't then say that talent was a problem with a QF loss. I'd argue it was a top 2-3 roster at the tournament.
My apologies, I'll leave you to your echo chamber of delusions. Cheers.

Reactions: Leviathan899

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Best lineup

Robertson-Turcotte-Kaliyev
Boldy-Zegras-Caufield
Brisson-Bordeleau-Brink
Beniers-Beecher-Caulfield
Mastrosimone

Top Replacements: Farinacci, Lindmark, Farrell, Rolston, Kuntar, Smilanic, Stranges, Berard, Peterson, Biondi, Colangelo, Schingoethe, Janicke, Lucius

York-Thrun
Johnson-Helleson
Sanderson-Skinner
Struble

Top Replacements: Lacombe, Miller, Reid, Powell, Kleven, Truscott, Faber, Hughes, Gallagher, Hreschuk, Fensore

Knight
Wolf
Commesso

Top Replacements: Rowe, Haider, Basse, Tynan, Grannan

I think Turcotte, Caufield and Zegras could all be in the NHL next season. If I was to guess, I'd say Turcotte and Caufield aren't back, and Zegras is. I'm not going to mention Hughes because if he didn't return this year, he's not returning next year.

This team, in theory, should be the best team, but if we get a bad coach again, a repeat of this tournament could happen.

3 Canadians on that team, that will help ;);)

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Are you seriously going to say that the players aren't good because for a two week sample during the year they weren't on top form? Many of them were also completely marginalized by their coach this year, and I thought Zegras was pretty good all tournament.

Even if Turcotte, Caufield and Zegras are all in the NHL, which is unlikely, it still includes returning forwards Kaliyev, Robertson, Brink and Beecher. Thats better than the returning forwards we had this year with Wahlstrom and Drury. That also doesn't include Boldy, a top 15 pick that would probably be the best forward on the team. He should've been on the team this year.

Is the defense going to be any weaker than this year? I personally think it'll be pretty similar. Defense wasn't the problem this year, although it would be nice to have a top flight defensemen. Thats something we won't have next year.

Which rosters look better for next year? This was the age group that the USA dominated in for a few years at U17 and U18 level. We certainly could win without a few of these players, and if we are only missing Hughes, I don't know why we wouldn't be the favorites.
Because if you’re only removing Hughes, then let’s only remove Dach and Lafreniere, and Canada’s roster is something like:

Perfetti-Byfield-Cozens
Pelletier-McMichael-Mercer
Holloway-Krebs-Beckman
Rees-Newhook-Poulin
Tracey/Suzuki/Tomasino/Zary/Bourque/Lapierre/Perreault/etc.

Byram-Drysdale
Harley-Schneider
Robertson-Barron
Korczak/Clarke/Poirier/Guhle/etc.

Jones
Garand
Ellis/Miner/whoever is hot

Comparing one-to-one to your best lineup, I think quite generously, Canada sure seems to be substantially superior to me:

Robertson = Perfetti
Turcotte < Byfield
Kaliyev < Cozens
Boldy = Pelletier
Zegras > McMichael
Caufield > Mercer
Brisson < Holloway
Bordeleau < Krebs
Brink = Beckman
Beniers < Rees
Beecher < Newhook
Caulfield < Poulin
Mastrosimone < Zary/Bourque

York < Byram
Thrun < Drysdale
Johnson < Harley
Helleson < Schneider
Sanderson = Robertson
Skinner < Barron
Struble = Korczak/Clarke

Knight/Wolf gives US the on-paper advantage in net, but we all know how wonky goaltending is.

I just don’t see how anyone could argue the US as gold medal favourites. Contender? Absolutely, as always. It only gets uglier if we consider how Caufield/Turcotte/Zegras could be in the NHL, compared to maybe Byfield/Cozens/Byram, as the extra depth between the two countries is even more divided.

ETA: I guess another advantage the US would have is the preexisting chemistry in the lineup you posted.

Reactions: blindpass

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Because if you’re only removing Hughes, then let’s only remove Dach and Lafreniere, and Canada’s roster is something like:

Perfetti-Byfield-Cozens
Pelletier-McMichael-Mercer
Holloway-Krebs-Beckman
Rees-Newhook-Poulin
Tracey/Suzuki/Tomasino/Zary/Bourque/Lapierre/Perreault/etc.

Byram-Drysdale
Harley-Schneider
Robertson-Barron
Korczak/Clarke/Poirier/Guhle/etc.

Jones
Garand
Ellis/Miner/whoever is hot

Comparing one-to-one to your best lineup, I think quite generously, Canada sure seems to be substantially superior to me:

Robertson = Perfetti
Turcotte < Byfield
Kaliyev < Cozens
Boldy = Pelletier
Zegras > McMichael
Caufield > Mercer
Brisson < Holloway
Bordeleau < Krebs
Brink = Beckman
Beniers < Rees
Beecher < Newhook
Caulfield < Poulin
Mastrosimone < Zary/Bourque

York < Byram
Thrun < Drysdale
Johnson < Harley
Helleson < Schneider
Sanderson = Robertson
Skinner < Barron
Struble = Korczak/Clarke

Knight/Wolf gives US the on-paper advantage in net, but we all know how wonky goaltending is.

I just don’t see how anyone could argue the US as gold medal favourites. Contender? Absolutely, as always. It only gets uglier if we consider how Caufield/Turcotte/Zegras could be in the NHL, compared to maybe Byfield/Cozens/Byram, as the extra depth between the two countries is even more divided.

ETA: I guess another advantage the US would have is the preexisting chemistry in the lineup you posted.

Thats too much micro-analysis to compare, in my opinion. The USA played Canada in the U18's last year, which is the 2001 age group, and the top few 02's for each team. The USA won easily. In fact, the shots were 41 to 23. When does USA have 18 more shots than Canada in a game between the two teams? Thats nearly unheard of. The USA has steam-rolled nearly everyone with the 2001 age group for years. Has anyone seen a more dominant tournament at the U18's than the USA played last year? A generational goalie standing on his head in a one-off game doesn't the play throughout the tournament.

People citing this year's US WJC roster as reason why that won't happen when the 2001's are the 19 year olds on the team are conveniently leaving out the fact that a number of our best 2001's were not allowed to play big roles on this team. Turcotte, Caufield, Zegras and York all played very low minutes. Boldy wasn't even on the team. The only 2001 that played bigger minutes was Nic Robertson, and thats because he was on the coach's favorite line.

I don't have a problem if you want to say Canada will be one of the favorites next year. They always are. They were one of the favorites this year after getting eliminated by Finland in the QF's by Finland a year ago, similar to the USA this year. My point is merely that I see no reason to say this US team at this point shouldn't be the favorite. Unless this coach is back or Turcotte, Caufield and Zegras all aren't back, I think this age group for the USA, based on their play against their peers from other countries, has earned the right to be the favorite at the tournament next year.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
The USA played Canada in the U18's last year, which is the 2001 age group, and the top few 02's for each team. The USA won easily. In fact, the shots were 41 to 23. When does USA have 18 more shots than Canada in a game between the two teams? Thats nearly unheard of.
Do you understand that many of Canada's top U18 players do not participate in the tournament because their CHL teams are still in the playoffs?

Edit -- Here are some of the players that weren't available:
Dach
Lafreniere
Byram Bowen
McMichael
Perfetti
Byfield
Lapierre
Matt Robertson
Sourdif
Poirier

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Do you understand that many of Canada's top U18 players do not participate in the tournament because their CHL teams are still in the playoffs?

Edit -- Here are some of the players that weren't available:
Dach
Lafreniere
Byram Bowen
McMichael
Perfetti
Byfield
Lapierre
Matt Robertson
Sourdif
Poirier

Poirier was available. He didn’t make the team. You are naming a lot of players that aren’t even part of this age group.

USA also had some players missing. You are kidding yourself if you think Canada would be better in this age group. I know it’s hard to believe, but sometimes there are better teams than Canada. Canada sent their best team to the Hlinka that season, and it took bad refereeing for them to win in OT against our non-NTDP players.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
What do you guys think of Luke Hughes making the team?

He has a chance, but I still think it’s unlikely. Draft eligible late-birthdays usually have a better chance than draft eligible early birthdays. I think Beniers makes it and Hughes doesn’t, although Hughes is a better draft prospect.

We also have a lot of depth among left shot defensemen, so that won’t help him either.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Poirier was available. He didn’t make the team. You are naming a lot of players that aren’t even part of this age group.

USA also had some players missing. You are kidding yourself if you think Canada would be better in this age group. I know it’s hard to believe, but sometimes there are better teams than Canada. Canada sent their best team to the Hlinka that season, and it took bad refereeing for them to win in OT against our non-NTDP players.
Which players aren't in the age group? The list is in rough order, are any of the top six or seven incorrect? They'd be the ones that would make the biggest difference.

I'm not actually trying to argue that Canada is better, I'm just pointing out that your U18 argument is deeply flawed. And the U20 evidence just came in (condolences). We'll see next year, that should be the pinnacle of this US crop, but I don't see it being an obvious case of them being THE favorite rather than one of the top 5 again.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Which players aren't in the age group? The list is in rough order, are any of the top five incorrect? They'd be the ones that would make the biggest difference.

I'm not actually trying to argue that Canada is better, I'm just pointing out that your U18 argument is deeply flawed. And the U20 evidence just came in. We'll see next year, that should be the pinnacle of this US crop, but I don't see it being an obvious case of them being THE favorite rather than one of the top 5 again.

I think listing players such as Byfield, Perfetti and Poirier to what is mostly a tournament for 2001 born players is deceiving. This is not a draft contest. You can’t name an age group where you can match our 2001 players in likely draft position, and claim that means it’s even. In a game between the best American players and Canadian players in the 2001 age group, there’s no reason 2002 players can’t be allowed, but using players born in 2002 probably isn’t going to help you win the game against 2001 players.

It’s flawed to say the evidence came in from this tournament. I think you fundamentally misunderstand how these tournaments work with some countries. This WJC was a 2000 born tournament where there were some 2001’s and a few 2002’s.

Most of the best American 2001’s on this team played very small roles. The coach didn’t let them run this team. He went with the 2000 born players as his key players, and they didn’t play well. That’s what this tournament proved about the American players. But we already knew the 2000’s weren’t the strongest age group. Next year we’ll know more about the American 2001 age group, since it’ll be their 19 year old WJC year.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

gotyournose

Oct 24, 2019
He has a chance, but I still think it’s unlikely. Draft eligible late-birthdays usually have a better chance than draft eligible early birthdays. I think Beniers makes it and Hughes doesn’t, although Hughes is a better draft prospect.

We also have a lot of depth among left shot defensemen, so that won’t help him either.
I thought he was supposed to be as good as Quinn Hughes or was it just media hype?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought he was supposed to be as good as Quinn Hughes or was it just media hype?

I think he’ll be better. Quinn was a late birthday, Luke is an early birthday. Thus, it’ll be harder for him to make the team. Luke will actually be almost a full year younger than Quinn when Quinn made the team. Luke is a September 2003. He’s a week too old from being 2022 draft eligible. Byfield made the Canadian team this year as an August 2002, and he’s struggled a lot.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
I think listing players such as Byfield, Perfetti and Poirier to what is mostly a tournament for 2001 born players is deceiving.
Because there aren't many good US players in the 2001 crop. I notice you didn't exclude Lafreniere. I think Byfield and Perfetti could have made that team. Certainly Dach, Lafreniere, Bowen and McMichael would have. Is there a comparable set absent from the US team?

Anyway, it's a shame that HF US fans know more about the sport than those that run the program. When Canada loses that's the consensus opinion here too (and I don't buy it then either).

gotyournose

Oct 24, 2019
I think he’ll be better. Quinn was a late birthday, Luke is an early birthday. Thus, it’ll be harder for him to make the team. Luke will actually be almost a full year younger than Quinn when Quinn made the team. Luke is a September 2003. He’s a week too old from being 2022 draft eligible. Byfield made the Canadian team this year as an August 2002, and he’s struggled a lot.

2021 eligible I think you mean

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
a couple of quick takes...

* Finland was the better team yesterday. Knight played well but not many others
* People crapping on 18 year old kids over a 5 game stretch just show their own ignorance
* glad a lot of these kids can come back next year. that extra year of experience and time to workout and move their games forward should help
* what really stood out for me this year was the lack of ability of the D to move the puck up the ice. No player like a Quinn Hughes or Charlie McAvoy hurt the team as I thought they struggled to enter the O zone with control
* never thought this team looked cohesive
* a HUGE part of this tournament is chemistry. that's why a Finland, with arguably less talented team than the US, can win these tight contests. They had great cohesion, controlled the puck, and played solid defense in their zone and through the middle.

I had fun watching and now will pull for Finland and Sweden!

Here's to better success next year!

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Honestly, I'd say besides the poor coaching, this year's team is a good example of how it's a 19 year old tournament.

It's not likely, but hopefully all of the 01's are back. I think some could be in the AHL, but none of them seem quite ready for the NHL.

Defense will be the question again. York is going to need to develop into a more all-around minutes eater, but there's not a ton of talent otherwise. Maybe Luke Hughes makes the team, but it'd likely be as a 7D, if he did.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
one of the best US U20 rosters ever

never played to potential

All four US Gold Medal Teams had an elite D man
on their team. That IMO was their greatest need.
Put someone of that caliber on this team and
maybe they take Canada to OT and play
Slovakia yesterday.

No shame in losing by a goal,to a good team that played its absolute best.

Reactions: clevelandcane
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad