OT - NO POLITICS 2021- Summer on the horizon edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Heading to Indianapolis next week.
Never been before.

Gonna see our daughter for first time in over a year.
Plus The Bride and I will celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary while we are there.

Anyone have any suggestions for good place for dinner or things to do?
I know one day we will go to the zoo. We all love animals.

be glad you're cleared to travel.... first off....

downtown Indianapolis might be a bit different the 1st few days after the 500.....

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
First off, happy anniversary.

As far as food, a few options depending on budget.

If you've got the time & money, St. Elmo's is the iconic local steakhouse. It's downtown (also has a couple of locations known as Harry & Izzy's - same restaurant, same menu, but one is downtown and one is in the north suburb of Carmel).

I'm a big fan of Italian food. Iaria's - located just east of downtown - is the best Italian place in the city.

Charlie Brown's in Speedway is a treasured local place. Also around the corner from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is the Mug 'n Bun. They're known for double-decker cheeseburgers and root beer, but it's a fabulous little drive-in with carhop service.

For breakfast, you can't go wrong with Cafe Patachou. There's a location downtown, one on the north side in Broad Ripple and another in the north burbs in Carmel.

(Also for breakfast: Long's Donuts. They're legendary here locally).

==
Things to do:
I highly recommend the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum to any visitors. Even if you're not into racing, you'll appreciate the large collection of classic cars and racecars and the history of the track. Make sure to take the track tour - it's one lap around the IMS oval on a bus. You'll gain a real appreciation for the history and sheer size of the track. Price is very reasonable, too.

If you're going to the zoo (which is a favorite - it's fairly compact and right downtown), both the Indiana State Museum (largely a state history museum) and the Eiteljorg Museum (which is a Native American art museum) are fairly close. The NCAA headquarters and its Hall of Champions museum (which is OK. It didn't really overwhelm me the first time I visited) are also fairly close. A stroll along the adjacent canal or a paddleboat ride is also a favorite activity for me & the wife (and our kids).

The ECHL's Indy Fuel also have a pair of home games next week - one on Memorial Day and one June 2 (the regular season wraps up next week), although I think the Bruins will be playing both nights. I'm the play-by-play announcer, so if you come, feel free to stop by the booth and say hi before warmups or after our postgame show is done. The Triple-A baseball team (Pirates affiliate) has a home series next week. Their ballpark has a great view of the downtown skyline and has consistently been rated one of the top minor league parks in America since it opened 25 years ago. I believe both are playing to 50% capacity right now.

Thanks!
We’re definitely doing the zoo as we had to buy tix in advance.
Then my daughter let us know we have reservations at Harry & Izzys for our anniversary dinner.
Menu looks pretty good to me!

Thanks for the other tips!

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
May be getting a new car today... Went to the Nissan dealer yesterday to verify their online offer is actually available... And yes. Nissan Leaf lease for $239/month. $239 down...plus tax, title, registration.

Probably comes to $3000 down if I want to keep that monthly cost...or around $300/month (which is what I'm paying now) for the original down payment.

At CarMax getting an offer on my Civic...I only owe $12,800 or so on it... And the website offer CarMax gave me was $18,200... So if it's anywhere near that I'll come out ahead, even with putting money down for the Leaf.

Reactions: Alicat

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
I got the full offer from CarMax...$5000 in my pocket...$3000 down for the new Nissan! My payment's lower, I get a new electric car, and I get a couple thousand bucks.

PXL_20210528_225459030.MP.jpg

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Thanks!
We’re definitely doing the zoo as we had to buy tix in advance.
Then my daughter let us know we have reservations at Harry & Izzys for our anniversary dinner.
Menu looks pretty good to me!

Thanks for the other tips!

Glad to help. If you’re at Harry & Izzys (which is St. Elmo’s under a different name), get the shrimp cocktail. It is their signature dish (and is loaded with horseradish so it will clean out the sinuses).

Reactions: Gee Wally

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
I usually have weekends off and was looking forward to a 3 day with my family. But my manager f***ed me and changed my schedule on Monday so im working today. Whats funny is we already have 2 call ins for my department and if u dont come in today u dont get paid monday. Lol smh

basically here if u call in before a paid holiday u dont get holday pay. Think if u call in the day after a holiday its the same.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Oh...
You know it cant be good when the Mass Pike emails you.

Just got this so heads up:

What is happening
MassDOT is replacing bridges on I-90 east and westbound over Flanders Road in Westborough and Parkerville Road, Cordaville Road, and Woodland Road in Southborough as part of this project. The replacement of the eight bridges (2 spans per local road) will take place over eight weekends between June 18 and August 16, 2021.

Friday Night, June 4 (beginning at 7:00 PM):
- I-90 WB traffic will be shifted through the median crossover into two right lanes of what is usually I-90 EB
- I-90 EB traffic will be shifted right into two right lanes of I-90 EB

Sunday Morning, June 6 (completed at 5:00 AM):
- I-90 WB traffic will be shifted back to three lanes on I-90 WB
- I-90 EB traffic will be shifted back to three lanes on I-90 EB

Alternate Timeframes (should weather cause impacts)
If there is inclement weather that impacts the schedule above, MassDOT will reschedule the trial run to the following dates and times and will announce it as soon as possible:
- 7:00 PM on Saturday, June 5, through 5:00 AM on Monday, June 7

How will this affect me?
The Trial Run work is scheduled from 7:00 PM on Friday, June 4, to 5:00 AM on Sunday, June 6. As mentioned above both directions of I-90 will be reduced down from three to two lanes from Route 9 in Framingham to I-495 in Hopkinton which will result in higher than normal congestion.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I still recall the time, the theatre I was in and how I went back there every time I heard this song. Thanks BJ Thomas for making a lifelong memory.

I knew him better from this song...which, yes, I did record on cassette off the radio sometime in the mid-to-late 80s for my mixtape...

And, of course, the series starred known hockey dad Alan Thicke, who, despite composing the theme for Diff'rent Strokes and The Facts of Life, did NOT compose the theme to his own sitocm.

Reactions: aguineapig

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
After a perfect hockey Saturday, today was a bit of a letdown. Weather still sucks. My son and I are re-gearing a differential in our Jeep and the stupid case spreader fell out of the sockets and right on my hand. The effing thing is just shy of 40lbs in weight and cut two of my fingers pretty much to the bone. I'll figure out if I want stitches in the morning. Seems like the cuts clotted OK. We finished the differential though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad