Confirmed with Link: 2021 Signing NOT 2022 Yet - TOR signed F Ondrej Kase [1 year, 1.25M]

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
Isn't that the same case as Bunting, then?

could be but you have a player whos been heathy and never injured versus a guy who has never played like over 60 games in the nhl without hurting some random part of his body,
he has also looked like trash in the last 2 years of limited play.

they are hoping for a homerun here , i just dont see it

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Every player is one hit away from a career ending injury

Maybe, but in his case, he's already had 5 concussions in his career and he's only 25. Not quite the same level of risk as most players.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
When he’s healthy, he’s very solid. health is a massive concern tho. Massive enough that;

Over his last 88 games, he has 44 points, or a .5 ppg, thing is, that’s over a 3 years span, he’s played 88 games since 2018-19.

If we trade engvall, that pretty much evens out his cap hit as both guys spend a lot of time in the pressbox.

not the worst signing, but if we trade around 1.3 mil out, I’ll be more than fine with it

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Isn't that the same case as Bunting, then?
Bunting was a true UFA, group 6 though:

A player becomes a Group 6 UFA if they are 25, completed 3 or more professional seasons, has a contract expiring, and has played less than 80 NHL Games

Reactions: Smif

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
If he didn't have injury problems he wouldn't be signing for 1 year 1.25M.

Not much risk here. Key is to make a bunch of undervalued bets and hope one or two of them work out for you. Between him, Bunting, and the prospects like Robertson, Anderson you're really just hoping one or two show they can produce and if they do you're in good shape.

Reactions: Mugzy97

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
This definitely makes it feel like Mikheyev and Engvall may be gone. Kampf and Kase are direct replacements for both of them. Good defensive players, good foot speed, PK type guys. I'd think Dubas' is moving out one or both of them now at some point. Give a new look to the fringe players around the core this year
It makes the most sense honestly, plus it could open up a spot for a guy like Robertson to make the 3rd line next season. Unfortunately neither guy has really solidified themselves on the roster but I feel like Mikheyev is the most likely candidate to leave, though Engvall being an RFA could attract suitors based on being able to control him easier

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Sign Ritchie next PLEASE

He would seem to me to be the best fit for the Leafs need at this point.

It's tough to try to paint inside the lines with limited space though. It appears Reilly is going to remain to start the season, so it's going to be a financial challenge all season.

Last edited:

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I am gonna LMAO if Leafs sign ritchie, somehow meet boston in the playoffs and it is Kase and Ritchie that win the series.

Both were not qualified by Boston making them UFAs :laugh:
Tbh, I love toughness and think we need more of it. But I want Ritchie even more just cuz the Bruins let him go. And I hope Kase has a big bounce back to his Duck days after they let him go too. Add in the fact they signed Foligno after we gave up a big haul for him...and I want Ritchie & Kase even more. Probably be guys with chips on their shoulders if we played the Bruins in the playoffs too. And Ritchie with a chip would just be a nasty piece of business

Reactions: PromisedLand

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Played only 3 games last season.

Hopefully his health is better, but reading the thread the most common theme is low risk, yet head injury particularly concussions are a high risk situation. IMO

The low risk might be you can put him on LTIR if this continues but he already missed almost all of last season so this is no minor issue here he is dealing with presently.

Concussion are a real tricky thing and not an easy issue to deal with as brain injuries are a real serious and can be career threatening .

Last edited:

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
With all due respect to those people happy about this signing, this offseason UFA moment feels like the post-Maurice/JFJ days where the only thing to get excited about was Niklas Hagman. There doesn't really seem to be happy moments digging through the racks at Value Village.
Imagine Hagman with Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander...but i'm not surprised you would post this.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Good analytical numbers but completely made of glass.

Sign Tatar and the forward group looks average instead of complete dogshit.

Absurd statement.

We won the damn division and lost Zach "hands of stone" Hyman and Father Time Thornton from the forwards.

We have the Rocket winner, a RW in the top 5 in league scoring, and another #1 calibre centre, and Nylander.

Ridiculous statement

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
I am gonna LMAO if Leafs sign ritchie, somehow meet boston in the playoffs and it is Kase and Ritchie that win the series.

Both were not qualified by Boston making them UFAs :laugh:

P.S. Yea... I know we haven't a series in the cap era :(
That kind of thing only happens to us

Reactions: PromisedLand

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Did Nick Ritchie sign somewhere else today or something. So now he brings in a guy that is of unknow health. Well i hope they know he is healthy. If hes not fire dubas

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
_____ - Matthews - Marner
Bunting - Tavares - Nylander
Kerfoot - - - Kampf - - - Kase
Simmonds - Spezza - Gabriel

Sign Ritchie to fill out that top line. Dump Engvall & Mikheyev

I was very disappointed so far this off season but things are looking alright. Robertson can play in Kase’s spot if he gets hurt.

Not sure about Kampf centering a KKK line. Not a good look

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
Did Nick Ritchie sign somewhere else today or something. So now he brings in a guy that is of unknow health. Well i hope they know he is healthy. If hes not fire dubas

he dufas ... u litterally dont need to go into every thread and complain about dubas ,,,,,,, we get the point, you not a fan , you want a medal ?
also, unless your 12 you do realize the player can decide where he wants to go even if he is offered more money term or whatever ......... you dont think 20 teams around the league offered perry more money ? if richie signs for like 1 mil you dont think 20 other teams probably offered him more ?

going back to the topic of the thread. because of the whole rfa thing i dont actually hate this pickup , we have control so worst case scenario hes a marlie for the year and we still have control for next year, best case scenario he does great and then he can be traded for peices etc.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Boston Bruins: Where does Ondrej Kase go from here?

On Monday, Boston Bruins‘ general manager Don Sweeney revealed that right wing Ondrej Kase will not play another game this season as he’s been shutdown for the remainder of the postseason — forever how long that may be. This shutdown isn’t as surprising as it may seem as Kase has, what would be an understatement, struggled to stay, and get, on the ice this season due to an upper-body injury (speculated to be a concussion but wasn’t confirmed).

As a result of the injury, Kase only played in three of 56 games this season, and only finished one of them — the first game of the season against the New Jersey Devils. In the one game he finished he played over 14 minutes and was a part of what was supposed to be the second line this season.

However, in the other two games, he wouldn’t surpass seven minutes of ice time in either. The second game of the season against the Devils is where he suffered his injury after taking accidental contact to the face from Devils’ forward Miles Wood. He would leave the game with just 4:40 of ice time.

After missing the next 52 games, Kase would finally make his return in the B’s second to last game of the season against the New York Islanders. However, his return wouldn’t last long as he only would play 6:49. It was originally reported that Kase had suffered another injury or re-aggravated his previous one, but head coach Bruce Cassidy said Kase was removed due to his conditioning, or lack thereof.

Kase has had several seasons like this, where he was playing and producing at a good pace but would get it cut short due to injuries, including many concussions.

Full story: Boston Bruins: Where does Ondrej Kase go from here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad