2021 Sharks @ World Championships

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
How much do you think the swiss national team would trade to keep Meier? :sarcasm:

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
How much do you think the swiss national team would trade to keep Meier? :sarcasm:

How has Janis Moser looked? A very cursory look makes me interested in using a mid-to-late-round pick on him if he's available.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Barabanov is 3+3 after 5 games. Him and Tolchinsky killed good Swiss team today. I think, Sharks should look at Tolchinsky. He's pretty similar to Barabanov but with a better scoring touch and not as good defensively, and he played a lot in NA. They obviously have good chemistry, could be 2/3 of the 2nd or 3rd line. BTW, Tolchinsky is the KHL playoffs' MVP.

Last edited:

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
Barabanov is 3+3 after 5 games. Him and Tolchinsky killed good Swiss team today. I think, Sharks should look at Tolchinsky. He's pretty similar to Barabanov but with a better scoring touch and not as good defensively, and he played a lot in NA. They obviously have good chemistry, could be 2/3 of the 2nd or 3rd line. BTW, Tolchinsky is the KHL playoffs' MVP.
That sounds like a good plan!

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
What did you think if Meier in that Rus vs Swiss game? Good player? Dangerous player?

Reactions: Sandisfan

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
What did you think if Meier in that Rus vs Swiss game? Good player? Dangerous player?

Yeah, he was good as the whole Swiss team for about 2 periods, and then Russia overshadowed them a bit in the 3rd. I actually stopped watching the game in the 2nd because Team Russia looked boring as hell, and Team Swiss looked good. I didn't expect the game changed so drastically in the 3rd.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

If the Sharks weren’t flush with middle 6 wingers I’d be into that idea. Not sure there’s a fit this time around though.

I do wonder if Barabanov has success next year if that will affect SJ’s ability to bring in KHL guys. Seems we’ve had success with Finnish and Swedish players from Europe, but would love to get into the KHL and be a destination for some of the top guys that leave that league seemingly annually.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
If the Sharks weren’t flush with middle 6 wingers I’d be into that idea. Not sure there’s a fit this time around though.

I do wonder if Barabanov has success next year if that will affect SJ’s ability to bring in KHL guys. Seems we’ve had success with Finnish and Swedish players from Europe, but would love to get into the KHL and be a destination for some of the top guys that leave that league seemingly annually.
Still hoping a couple (few?) of these middle 6ers are on their way out in one of DW's quantity over quality trades. :laugh:

Would definitely love to pick up a few more Russians though with the puck skill many seem to have.

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
Still hoping a couple (few?) of these middle 6ers are on their way out in one of DW's quantity over quality trades. :laugh:

Would definitely love to pick up a few more Russians though with the puck skill many seem to have.

Totally agree. The more players we have that are top 9 capable, the better. We can always package some in a trade to upgrade. I think this is essentially DW’s plan. Keep piling up assets and turn them into high impact players through trades. That’s why he’s picking up a lot of free agents through Europe that are cheap and capable. Balcers and Barabanov are also good examples of cheap yet good upside.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

I agree. While we have quite a few middle 6 type players, they tend to be at the lower end. If Wilson could bring in a couple of high end 2nd and 3rd liners for the likes of Gambrell, Donato and maybe leonard and Balcers dispensable.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Meier proving the coaching staff is a bunch of idiots in san jose.
Or he’s just proving how little motivation he played with this entire season.

The coaching staff probably does suck (Fla fans warned us), but I’m not letting Timo off the hook for playing with little heart since signing his extension. At least Vlasic waited for his last big contract and father time before turning to crap. Timo hasn’t even hit ufa.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Or he’s just proving how little motivation he played with this entire season.

The coaching staff probably does suck (Fla fans warned us), but I’m not letting Timo off the hook for playing with little heart since signing his extension. At least Vlasic waited for his last big contract and father time before turning to crap. Timo hasn’t even hit ufa.
I don't know what his problem was but I really hope it's not with the coaching staff assuming they're returning. He needs to be part of the solution for this team and not one of their problems.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA

We don't have too many middle-6 forwards at all. We have a lot of 4th liners.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I don't know what his problem was but I really hope it's not with the coaching staff assuming they're returning. He needs to be part of the solution for this team and not one of their problems.

He was upset with the change, but that does not actually mean he does not like the current coaches by that alone. I would have to see the interview and quote again to remember it right.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
He’s played a lot like Setoguchi did after his 30 goal season. Now knowing that Seto had issues that greatly effected his day to day routines changed my opinion on him, but I assume Timo doesn’t have the same issues. He needs to play like he did the year he was a 30/30 guy, like a broke, unproven player. That guy has been Mia for 2 years.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Yeah, he was good as the whole Swiss team for about 2 periods, and then Russia overshadowed them a bit in the 3rd. I actually stopped watching the game in the 2nd because Team Russia looked boring as hell, and Team Swiss looked good. I didn't expect the game changed so drastically in the 3rd.

"We played a strong game. But, it was Tolchinsky Time in the 3rd."
- Timo

Tolchinsky and Guschin seem to have similar profiles.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
He’s played a lot like Setoguchi did after his 30 goal season. Now knowing that Seto had issues that greatly effected his day to day routines changed my opinion on him, but I assume Timo doesn’t have the same issues. He needs to play like he did the year he was a 30/30 guy, like a broke, unproven player. That guy has been Mia for 2 years.
I don't think he was all that bad last year especially considering that roster and the injuries to their top 2 centers.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I don't think he was all that bad last year especially considering that roster and the injuries to their top 2 centers.
I wouldn’t call him bad as much as I’d say his play was lacking. He passed up way too many hits and plays down low that just made it seem like he was disinterested. He’s a guy that should staple LD’s and RD’s to their own boards after each dump out.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
He was upset with the change, but that does not actually mean he does not like the current coaches by that alone. I would have to see the interview and quote again to remember it right.

IIRC Timo and Boughner overlapped when Boughner was an assistant, so it seems like there would be (positive) familiarity. If Timo does have beef, I assume it'd be if Boughner turned heel once he got hired and/or he just thought PDB had his hands tied by higher ups.

On the second thought, given that the Shark's system is rigid on offense and defense, maybe Timo appreciated PDB letting the forwards go rambo/be aggressive on the forecheck. Those were good opportunities to let their individual talents take over. But maybe in PDB's last few years, it became noticeable that the front office was dictating all the gameplans/adjustments and that led to grumbling in the locker room. Maybe Wilson's locker room speech during the disastrous '18-'19 start was because there were demands to have The Man explain decisions himself and not through the coach.

Anyway, hopefully Timo has a good year next season.

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I wouldn’t call him bad as much as I’d say his play was lacking. He passed up way too many hits and plays down low that just made it seem like he was disinterested. He’s a guy that should staple LD’s and RD’s to their own boards after each dump out.
Just to be clear I'm talking about the 19-20 season where he led the team in scoring... This last season 20-21 I thought he was decent the first half then kinda fell off the rails in the 2nd half. Not sure if being saddled with an injured couture had a significant effect though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad