Speculation: 2021 Sharks Offseason Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
I mean, that's not quite what DW said (about domination) but he did mention those two as the spots they will be looking to fill from outside.

With him, take everything with a grain of salt. Lets see what he does this off-season and get a better idea on the picture.

Even him saying 3C and goalie are what their missing is a bad sign. We need a new top line and d-pairing and a starting goalie. Those are the kind of moves needed to make us contenders, not some minor moves like they are talking about.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Even him saying 3C and goalie are what their missing is a bad sign. We need a new top line and d-pairing and a starting goalie. Those are the kind of moves needed to make us contenders, not some minor moves like they are talking about.
The Sharks have 1 top six center in Hertl, and 3(ish) top six wingers in Couture, Kane and Meier.

They need a second line center, third line center, to figure out from their plethora of wingers who can fit in the top 6 and top 9 (Labanc, Barabanov, Balcers, Leonard, Blichfeld, Gregor, Donato(if he stays) etc.), a 4th line center, goalies and a 5th or 6th dman.

Typing that out made me a little depressed.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

To me, it's 1C, 3C, and 1G or two 1B type goalies. I don't see a solution on the blue line other than ride it out unless we're moving Burns. Karlsson isn't going anywhere. Vlasic isn't going anywhere. Ferraro and Knyzhov are worth giving more time to so you really have only one open slot (Simek's 3rd pairing) and maybe Burns. You can make moves in net. You can make adds to the 3C. You have to luck out on the 1C and you have to luck out in moving anyone with a big contract. Yeah, they can be a playoff contender with just 3C and goalie but that's it.

I don't think the top line is honestly that bad if you actually run with Kane-Hertl-Barabanov with the hopes that Barabanov actually is something. He may not be a top line winger per se but he can be good enough with two legitimate top line players to make the line work as needed. The issue then becomes what that 2nd line looks like. If Couture is centering again between the likes of Meier and Labanc, they're in trouble. The 3rd line looks, granted this is early projections, like it'd have Balcers and Leonard on the wings. I don't know who honestly fits between those two to make it work but it's likely suspect defensively and not much of a possession line.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I am pretty sure DW sees the need for a top line as well but it is hardly something he can fill in the draft or UFA. Even doing that via trades is going to be hard to accomplish given the lack of cap space to do so.

I think the Sharks best chance, if they choose to compete with the current core, is to try to build a 3rd line which is a fringe 2nd line and a 4th line that is more like a 3rd line. Essentially, get depth.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I am pretty sure DW sees the need for a top line as well but it is hardly something he can fill in the draft or UFA. Even doing that via trades is going to be hard to accomplish given the lack of cap space to do so.

I think the Sharks best chance, if they choose to compete with the current core, is to try to build a 3rd line which is a fringe 2nd line and a 4th line that is more like a 3rd line. Essentially, get depth.

It's sad that the solution to a problem of needing a top line is depth you don't have and yet somehow thinking at the same time you're really competing. The more I think about it, the more I believe that DW is going to try to get Danault for 3C and just hope it works.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It's sad that the solution to a problem of needing a top line is depth you don't have and yet somehow thinking at the same time you're really competing. The more I think about it, the more I believe that DW is going to try to get Danault for 3C and just hope it works.

I have no idea what DW is truly thinking. If he actually thinks the top-6 is competitive enough for a SC run and plugging in a 3C and new goalie is the solution to being competitive, then he is truly delusional. My thinking is that he is going to try to fix the issues via trades and not depend on tanking and failing again. A hard push for the likes of Eichel or any other true top line C/F is what I think he is trying to do. Just that in true DW fashion he will stay mum about it.

Heck, I would NOT be shocked if the 7th pick is moved for the likes of Eichel+.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Eichel is gonna go to Vegas, I can feel it.

we can try and tank, but it’s gonna be hard to be as bad as Buffalo especially with JE9 gone

Reactions: themelkman

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I have no idea what DW is truly thinking. If he actually thinks the top-6 is competitive enough for a SC run and plugging in a 3C and new goalie is the solution to being competitive, then he is truly delusional. My thinking is that he is going to try to fix the issues via trades and not depend on tanking and failing again. A hard push for the likes of Eichel or any other true top line C/F is what I think he is trying to do. Just that in true DW fashion he will stay mum about it.

I agree. Reportedly the Kings don't want Eichel and Buffalo doesn't want to trade him to the Rangers so that leaves very few suitors left. Pretty similar situation to when Doug acquired Karlsson, Heatley, Boyle and Thornton in the past. 7th OV+22 1st+Meier+Bordeleau+Chmelevski probably gets it done.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
The Sharks have 1 top six center in Hertl, and 3(ish) top six wingers in Couture, Kane and Meier.
They need a second line center, third line center, to figure out from their plethora of wingers who can fit in the top 6 and top 9 (Labanc, Barabanov, Balcers, Leonard, Blichfeld, Gregor, Donato(if he stays) etc.), a 4th line center, goalies and a 5th or 6th dman.
Typing that out made me a little depressed.

A new top line and top def pair helps everyone else slot in better. Hertl can be a 1C but it would be a pretty weak 1st line compared to other top teams around the league. But Hertl as a 2nd center is great.

Adding forwards that push Labanc, Barabonov, Gambrell down the lineup and Gregor, Sorenson, Viel, Jaros, Vlasic etc off the roster helps our outlook a ton.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
IMO Trading Meier, Bordeleau and the 1st next yr would be a mistake. People love Eichel but I don't know man, he just seems like damaged goods :/ . Id much rather us do this thing the right way and stay on track building up a competent prospect pool. No more mortgaging the future.

We're not even on the right track building up a competent prospect pool. Our drafting is hyper-focused seemingly on specific types of players. You can definitely build up a quantity of that type of player that way but a competent pool needs to have numerous amounts of prospects of different types and positions. We have a hodgepodge of goaltending prospects that were all seemingly stitched together rather than carefully found and developed. Our blue line has one elite potential prospect and a few solid options on the left but that's about it. We don't seem to have anyone up front that could be an elite forward but a lot of potentially good secondary/complimentary players.

I can understand not wanting to deal Bordeleau or the 1st next year. That's a reasonable position to take. I just don't see what the team is doing as being on the right track for building the prospect pool. And I don't see anyone in our system that is actually critical and pivotal to the team's future right now. Everyone at this point is still pretty replaceable.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
A new top line and top def pair helps everyone else slot in better. Hertl can be a 1C but it would be a pretty weak 1st line compared to other top teams around the league. But Hertl as a 2nd center is great.

Adding forwards that push Labanc, Barabonov, Gambrell down the lineup and Gregor, Sorenson, Viel, Jaros, Vlasic etc off the roster helps our outlook a ton.

Exactly. I mean getting Eichel would even give the team the option of loading up that 1st line for matchup perspectives. Kane-Eichel-Hertl could also be a top heavy 1st line matchup if required and do well against pretty much any top line. That would still leave Labanc-Couture-Barbanov as a 2nd line option if Meier is gone. For most matchups though you just roll with:

Kane/Labanc-Eichel-Couture
Labanc/Kane-Hertl-Barbanov

Or use one of the kids in the top-6 if they seem like a better option than Labanc. In reality, that is the quickest way to get the Sharks to being competitive.

Also, I really don't think Eichel will cost: 7th OV+22 1st+Meier+Bordeleau+Chmelevski. He has made it clear he wants out and I think 7th Overall + Meier + Bordeleau gets it done. Buffalo getting the 7th would mean that they can get one of Beniers/Power as the 1st overall and then still pick up a really good forward or D-man from the pool of Eklund, Guenther, Johnson, Edvinsson, Clarke, etc.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
You can't give up a future first for anything unless it's lottery protected. You guys talking 22 firsts are out of your mind

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Kane - Hertl is completely capable of anchoring a legitimate top-line on a contending team. They just need the correct complementary winger who is defensively responsible and has some playmaking ability.

Reactions: NiWa

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I'm not trying to play the bad guy against anyone's trade proposals or ideas on acquiring Eichel. I think he's an amazing talent, when healthy, and he'd be happy in Sj. I'm just concerned that we gave up a ton for a guy in EK who already has injury issues, we have Hertl who we all love with reoccuring injury concerns and adding another guy with his own injury issues for a large price tag is just scary to me. Is the juice worth the squeeze? Possibly. It just concerns me is all.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Exactly. I mean getting Eichel would even give the team the option of loading up that 1st line for matchup perspectives. Kane-Eichel-Hertl could also be a top heavy 1st line matchup if required and do well against pretty much any top line. That would still leave Labanc-Couture-Barbanov as a 2nd line option if Meier is gone. For most matchups though you just roll with:

Kane/Labanc-Eichel-Couture
Labanc/Kane-Hertl-Barbanov

Or use one of the kids in the top-6 if they seem like a better option than Labanc. In reality, that is the quickest way to get the Sharks to being competitive.

Also, I really don't think Eichel will cost: 7th OV+22 1st+Meier+Bordeleau+Chmelevski. He has made it clear he wants out and I think 7th Overall + Meier + Bordeleau gets it done. Buffalo getting the 7th would mean that they can get one of Beniers/Power as the 1st overall and then still pick up a really good forward or D-man from the pool of Eklund, Guenther, Johnson, Edvinsson, Clarke, etc.

I think a 2022 1st (unprotected) + Meier + either (Bordeleau or the 7th overall) get it done.

IMO your top six would be
Couture - Eichel - Labanc
Kane - Hertl - Barbanov

That would be a group worth getting excited about.

The Great John Scott

#Trade4JohnScott
Aug 23, 2014
I don’t have much to add to the Eichel conversation other than I’ve liked what little I’ve watched of his game in Buffalo and, salary cap issues and contractual obligations aside, I’d really like to see him in teal.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think the Sharks are bad enough that, on a "Cups added" basis, trading Meier+Bordeleau+two 1sts for him is actually a net negative for the Sharks.

I have a hard time thinking that that would be the cost. The way this draft is looking, I think the Sharks could get Eichel for Meier, any of our other first five picks from 2020 that isn't Bordeleau, and the #7. Buffalo wants a center and I think they can be convinced that someone like Johnson will be there to take that would satisfy their center need.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
Meier and #7 Id be okay with. Throwing in another first in ‘22 which could be as high or higher not so much. Eichel is good, he’s not turn the Sharks into a good team by his addition alone good. They need to fill multiple holes that will likely take atleast a couple more seasons to fill. The Sharks could be good again toward the end of his contract but it’ll be harder if they’ve dealt away 2 top-10 picks in that time.

So unless DW has plans (trade Burns etc) to recoup one or both of those high 1sts or bring in other high end assets to shove the Sharks back to good faster, I’d probably balk at Meier + 2 1st +….

let’s face it, as long as we are stuck with Jones in goal and Vlasic on D we’re kinda gonna have to accept being mediocre at best. Maybe sneak into the playoffs but get blown out immediately by the top teams.

imo.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Meier and #7 Id be okay with. Throwing in another first in ‘22 which could be as high or higher not so much. Eichel is good, he’s not turn the Sharks into a good team by his addition alone good. They need to fill multiple holes that will likely take atleast a couple more seasons to fill. The Sharks could be good again toward the end of his contract but it’ll be harder if they’ve dealt away 2 top-10 picks in that time.

So unless DW has plans (trade Burns etc) to recoup one or both of those high 1sts or bring in other high end assets to shove the Sharks back to good faster, I’d probably balk at Meier + 2 1st +….

let’s face it, as long as we are stuck with Jones in goal and Vlasic on D we’re kinda gonna have to accept being mediocre at best. Maybe sneak into the playoffs but get blown out immediately by the top teams.

imo.

See, I don't know if I agree with the idea that he isn't good enough to turn the Sharks into a good team on his own. If we assume a Meier, #7, and prospect deal for Eichel, you're moving a legitimate top line player in Hertl to 2C and moving Couture to probably Eichel's wing. I think his acquisition makes two of our best players even better. If we're tying Kane to Hertl and Barabanov, them being a 2nd line over possibly the top line gives them much better scoring opportunities. If we put Labanc on Eichel's other wing where Eichel is probably doing the lion's share of the work to create scoring chances, it frees up both Couture and Labanc to do what they're better at which is supporting the puck and looking for soft spots instead of being on the puck trying to win and mostly failing at puck possession battles. Now there are still holes to fill especially that 3C spot and goaltending but if you fill those spots and don't have a real top line to help carry you, filling those holes means very little.

But I do agree with the likelihood that an Eichel acquisition probably means moving Burns but that could work in our favor anyway because Dallas probably does move Khudobin and maybe would make Faksa available as well. That would fill both spots discussed and then the team would need to find a Burns replacement. Granted, that is no easy task but there are some stopgap measures available to get us through until someone like Kniazev or Hatakka establishes themselves to make it easier to deal with that because Knyzhov can move over if needed.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009

imo.

Adding Eichel and losing Meier gives the Sharks the second-best top six in the Pacific division after Vegas.

For my money, if the Sharks trade for Eichel it will happen at the draft, include the 7th overall pick, and be based on a specific player still being available that Buffalo really wants.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

Well, if the sharks forwards play at the best, the top 6 is competitive enough for a SC run. I'm talking like peak performances. A 1/2 of playoff Couture and Hertl is really solid down the middle, Kane and Meier playing like 30 goal scorers is dangerous, and Labanc + whoever playing complementary roles are nothing to sneeze at.

Of course, it's wholly unrealistic to expect that given what we've seen over the last two seasons. But from an on-paper perspective, DW isn't wrong.

Plus, if Karlsson plays like a 11.5 dman, and burns can eat minutes, it's not totally farfetched to think this team is a 3c and a goalie away.

IMO Trading Meier, Bordeleau and the 1st next yr would be a mistake. People love Eichel but I don't know man, he just seems like damaged goods :/ . Id much rather us do this thing the right way and stay on track building up a competent prospect pool. No more mortgaging the future.

I think the market for Eichel is gonna be really weak. I really doubt they would want meier as the centerpiece. If they dump Eichel and Reinhart, they need a center who can play top minutes. But then again, it's hard to imagine BUF gets anything close to what they want

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Apparently all the Eichel fans here haven't watched any of the playoffs where top-heavy teams like Edmonton, Toronto, Colorado, Washington are all getting or were exposed for having no depth.

Reactions: hockeyCEO
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad