Speculation: 2021 Sharks Offseason Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
This is just a general consensus question, what do you guys consider to be the prime years of a hockey player? I'm guessing it varies position to position, but Couture is only 32. Are we talking about a rapid decline of 3 yrs or less, or a slow steady one of 5 yrs plus? I'm sure injuries play into this in larger part than a decline in skill.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
This is just a general consensus question, what do you guys consider to be the prime years of a hockey player? I'm guessing it varies position to position, but Couture is only 32. Are we talking about a rapid decline of 3 yrs or less, or a slow steady one of 5 yrs plus? I'm sure injuries play into this in larger part than a decline in skill.

Well, in theory we’re all slowly dying so I guess like 15-16 is their prime and then it’s just a gentle rotting until they retire at 40.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

For someone like Couture, it's likely to be a gradual one but even when someone is in decline, they're still capable of being productive. All Couture needs to do is continue to produce at a top six level for the contract to not be an albatross. For the years that he's signed for, he can do that. He's not much different overall than what Pavelski was. But Pavelski was already moved to wing by this time and the Sharks need to do the same for Couture sooner rather than later. If it were me in DW's chair, I'd be looking to sign Wennberg, Bonino, and Driedger. Get your 3C and goalie and bring in another center that allows Couture to move to wing. Then move the cap out that you'd need. I would guess you'd need to move out about 4 million to make it work but with the capability of moving Simek and Labanc or Meier, I think it can be done. But that would be adding to the stated goals of DW and for whatever reason, I tend to believe that's all he'll really do.

He'll probably open up Simek's spot in the lineup for competition. Gambrell will probably be picked in the expansion draft. Maybe use Donato to be swapped for a 3C or goalie. Sign the other one. Call it an offseason.

My 'DW stated offseason' would ideally look like this...

Kane-Hertl-Barabanov
Balcers-Couture-Labanc
Donato-Wennberg-Meier
Nieto-Kellman-True

Ferraro-Burns
Knyzhov-Karlsson
Kniazev-Vlasic

Driedger-Korenar/Melnichuk

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
For career NHLers, I think the scoring prime is typically pretty early like ~23-27, but playing prime is a little later like 26-30. It definitely depends on the player but I think for Couture, he's rapidly exiting his prime playing years. We'll see if he can bounce back but I've been of the opinion that he's been declining for a while now.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
To follow up on the Couture discussion, much of his injury past has been just a lot of bad luck. Pucks in the mouth, ankle picks going into the boards, etc. Be much more worried if these were chronic soft tissue injuries like Karlsson than some of the flukey acute incident injuries he has had over the past couple of years.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
To follow up on the Couture discussion, much of his injury past has been just a lot of bad luck. Pucks in the mouth, ankle picks going into the boards, etc. Be much more worried if these were chronic soft tissue injuries like Karlsson than some of the flukey acute incident injuries he has had over the past couple of years.

Yeah, Hertl's injury history is more of a concern than Couture's. Just have to assume though that something ridiculous will knock Couture out for a segment of the season and account for that.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA

He's injured a lot, and that usually doesn't get better as you age. He hurt his foot (?) this year and his shot completely disintegrated. Couture's performance could fall off a cliff at any time.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
@OrrNumber4 About Nolan Patrick, his chronic concussion issue seems to be the main issue, although he’s had his share of other injuries. He looked like crap this season. I would definitely have time for him as a reclamation project, but I feel like Strome would be cheaper and potentially better.

I wish we’d gone after Bennett, I’ve always liked him. I actually had him 1st overall in 2014, which is a little embarrassing to admit, but I love his style.

Reactions: themelkman

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
I'm probably way out in left field on this one
But how about trading Timo to the Kings for Turcotte

upload_2021-5-17_11-35-39.jpeg

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I liked reading this article. Mainly because they are calling out the Sharks organization delusion and/or lack of honesty.

San Jose Sharks Front Office Needs To See Rebuild as Essential Element
IMO it's mostly just a lack of honesty. We're set for 2 b2b bottom 10 finishes (and on pace for more), we have a barren cupboard, and they're playing youth everywhere in the lineup. The only thing that has run counter to a "rebuild" is that the core is still here.

The reality is that they can't get rid of the majority of the core without severely sabotaging the rebuild. And you know what, there's no real harm to the rebuild if we just hold on to the core guys for a little longer. I would say this just isn't the year to blow it up. With how bad this season has gone, we'd be selling low on the talent on hand and we'd be acquiring futures in a lower quality draft.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The front office and fan base (not on this site) needs to be honest too. If you mention trading Kane, Couture or Hertl they cry like babies eventhough its in our best interests.

Kudos to the writer
I think most fans just want to complain without offering or thinking of solutions. And they don't like solutions which take some time till the rewards kick in. They want instant gratification.

Heck .. not much different from work .. or life in general.

Reactions: tahoesharksfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think most fans just want to complain without offering or thinking of solutions. And they don't like solutions which take some time till the rewards kick in. They want instant gratification.

Heck .. not much different from work .. or life in general.

Well, fans don't need to offer solutions. That's not their job. The only thing that matters for the Sharks as it relates to the fans is their money. That's the business of pro sports. Typically, the only way to get full houses is to win. The Sharks are in that great spot where they're mediocre but not really rebuilding. I agree with pretty much that entire article but I know the team doesn't listen to fans in this context.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Well, fans don't need to offer solutions. That's not their job. The only thing that matters for the Sharks as it relates to the fans is their money. That's the business of pro sports. Typically, the only way to get full houses is to win. The Sharks are in that great spot where they're mediocre but not really rebuilding. I agree with pretty much that entire article but I know the team doesn't listen to fans in this context.
True. I get that. But if people complain about problems, I want to hear a solution or ideas on what can be done. I get that its not the fans job to come up with solutions. Not that it would even matter if they did offer solutions because the front office, like you stated, does not need to listen to them.

DisbeliefInDW

May 12, 2021
@OrrNumber4 About Nolan Patrick, his chronic concussion issue seems to be the main issue, although he’s had his share of other injuries. He looked like crap this season. I would definitely have time for him as a reclamation project, but I feel like Strome would be cheaper and potentially better.

I wish we’d gone after Bennett, I’ve always liked him. I actually had him 1st overall in 2014, which is a little embarrassing to admit, but I love his style.

Bennett is exactly the type of player the Sharks need/needed to put them over the edge to win the cup. Other than Kane, who is far more of a skill guy, the only other PWF/Shit stirrer they've had in recent memory that wasn't a 4th liner was Clowe. The problem was you didn't know if you were getting a Calgary Bennett, who was basically nothing more than Goodrow, or 4th OA Bennett, which it looks like as of now the Panthers scored on.

DisbeliefInDW

May 12, 2021
I liked reading this article. Mainly because they are calling out the Sharks organization delusion and/or lack of honesty.

San Jose Sharks Front Office Needs To See Rebuild as Essential Element

Even though these things won't lead to them doing anything, again, its nice to see the balance of putting up with shit vs. calling it out is finally tipping. It's far easier to deal with a shitty team even if management doesn't know/refuses to acknowledge it if your fellow fans know the team is shitty.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
True. I get that. But if people complain about problems, I want to hear a solution or ideas on what can be done. I get that its not the fans job to come up with solutions. Not that it would even matter if they did offer solutions because the front office, like you stated, does not need to listen to them.

Well, luckily for you, most here that we converse with tend to offer solutions at least on this front. It's just disappointing that DW's solutions seem woefully inadequate.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

DisbeliefInDW

May 12, 2021
Reactions: Hinterland

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
One more year of this bull shit and there wont be any casual fans left. Insulting to the fan bases intelligence to do nothing. Year 3 is the year to admit defeat and blow it up haha

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Well, luckily for you, most here that we converse with tend to offer solutions at least on this front. It's just disappointing that DW's solutions seem woefully inadequate.
Like the article says. Either the Sharks management is lying to itself or deluded. Or the best case scenario is simply that they won't admit their current state because of ego (DW) or how it impacts viewership. I think this off-season will really show us what DW thinks.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Like the article says. Either the Sharks management is lying to itself or deluded. Or the best case scenario is simply that they won't admit their current state because of ego (DW) or how it impacts viewership. I think this off-season will really show us what DW thinks.

I tend to believe that he says what he says publicly to continue to sell tickets in the short term. A rebuild admission will drop ticket sales. There's just no way around that. I don't know if lying about it will really yield better results than otherwise but I don't think they're lying to itself or deluded per se. I don't think it's a lack of being able to admit their current state or their mistakes. I think they simply won't as a business decision. For a team in their current position, if the players don't want to go, they have few options. My problem will be that they're going to go with half-measures instead of going full throttle in one direction or the other. If you're going to compete then you better buy out the likes of Jones and Vlasic and use their created cap space. You better trade all the guys that don't want to be there for whatever reason. You get the best players you can with the cap space available and fill out the lineup with the best you got and make changes as needed. Otherwise, you tear it all down, you bury the likes of Jones, you keep playing Vlasic until it makes sense to buy him out, and you get value out of anyone that is over 24. The second option is a hard long road to go down but sometimes you have to in order to rise back up. We all know this. I'm sure DW knows this too but it's different when it's your head on the chopping block and you're tasked with building a winning team that sells tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad