2021 Seattle Expansion Draft (Seattle selects D. Gavin Bayruether)

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
So remind me do we have to protect Cam? What about Nyquist?

I would think we may go 4-4-1 if we don't have to protect those guys? Look I love Cam's leadership but he's over 30 (same w Nyquist). I don't want to move them but if Seattle would take the rest of the contract more power to them.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
And that the GM has done a such a good job there are protection slots available for some of the team's quality depth?

Also, isn't this just AP speculation? Haven't we decided he doesn't know anything?

He doesn't know anything about trade rumors or how the front office functions, but the man can sure Google expansion draft rules.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So remind me do we have to protect Cam? What about Nyquist?

I would think we may go 4-4-1 if we don't have to protect those guys? Look I love Cam's leadership but he's over 30 (same w Nyquist). I don't want to move them but if Seattle would take the rest of the contract more power to them.

I don't believe we have to protect them. Question is do we mind if we lose Kukan. If we do then 4-4-1 makes sense to me. My guess is Seattle would jump on either Cam or Nyqvist.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
For me, Robinson is a breakout player and feels like a middle 6 type player. If his hands catch up, he's another 20+ goal guy...on the 4th line... I'll gladly take that type of depth.

That's the key. If.

I wouldn't be so sure he'd be the guy taken if he was exposed. They are going to draft 31 guys and 3rd and 4th liners are a dime a dozen in this league.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
If a player has a NTC they must be protected. I'm pretty sure the Nyqvist doesn't and I'm not sure about Cam.
Per Capfriendly, Cam has a modified NTC where he provides a list of 10 teams he would refuse to be traded. Seth Jones is the only other contract with a NTC that doesn't expire after the season. Foligno, Dubinsky, and Koivu are the only others.

Reactions: Jovavic

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
One more time...

For instance, a player with a no-movement clause in his contract must be included on a team's protected list unless he waives it. Players with no-trade clauses only do not qualify as no-movement clauses and must be protected or otherwise will be available to be selected.

NHL Expansion Draft 101

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
If a player has a NTC they must be protected. I'm pretty sure the Nyqvist doesn't and I'm not sure about Cam.
Only players with No MOVE Clauses are required to be protected. Players with No TRADE Clauses or modified NTC do not require protection. No different than them being exposed to waivers for NTC players. Cam nor Nyquist would need to be protected. In fact, no one on the CBJ has a NMC that I'm aware of and thus they can protect who they feel is most worthwhile for the team.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
If he doesn’t know how the front office functions, we probably shouldn’t have much credence to who he thinks the front office will protect in the expansion draft.

Again, the rules are available publicly. I have put together a 7-3-1 list and an (almost) 4-4-1 list and shared why the team has work to do to meet the exposure requirements in either scenario. Maybe the front office values their guys differently, but it's not that hard to see how should be protected. The team is very likely to lose Dean Kukan or try to get Vegas to take one of the 30+ year old forwards on a $5+m annual contract. Either scenario is much better than in 2017 with Vegas. Of course, Jarmo could blow it up a bit with a big trade, but I think he has an internal cap so we won't see a big shakeup.

Realistically, I think it's Kukan heading to Seattle.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Again, the rules are available publicly. I have put together a 7-3-1 list and an (almost) 4-4-1 list and shared why the team has work to do to meet the exposure requirements in either scenario. Maybe the front office values their guys differently, but it's not that hard to see how should be protected. The team is very likely to lose Dean Kukan or try to get Vegas to take one of the 30+ year old forwards on a $5+m annual contract. Either scenario is much better than in 2017 with Vegas. Of course, Jarmo could blow it up a bit with a big trade, but I think he has an internal cap so we won't see a big shakeup.

Realistically, I think it's Kukan heading to Seattle.

Geez. There was some concern that AP's list had E-Rob protected. All I'm saying is that's wasted worry because AP doesn't know what the front office is doing.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Geez. There was some concern that AP's list had E-Rob protected. All I'm saying is that's wasted worry because AP doesn't know what the front office is doing.

Gotcha. Yeah, who knows exactly - still 6+ months out with contract extensions and whatnot. If E-Rob isn't the 7th as of now, I don't know who is. A lot of free spots via UFA status and not eligible young guys.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Given the recent deal I don't think we need to protect PLD any more. :)

Seriously though, the trade changes the dynamic as we added two players to protect and only removed one. Decision may not be as easy any more. The only intrigue remains forwards:

Exempt:
Texier
Bemstrom
Foudy

Protect:
Laine
Bjorkstrand
Jenner
Domi
Roslovic

Decisions:
Nyquist - I only put him here as there may be a chance he doesn't require protection if he spends enough time on LTIR (I need to revisit)
Robinson - Most likely to be exposed now with the recent deal
Atkinson - I love the guy. He's a CBJ through and through but man that contract and his play the last 2+ seasons has me very worried he's not the player we paid him to be (I'm sure he'll be protected but this, to me, would be a hard dollars/sense/future decision)

I'm not hating on Atkinson. I'm taking the heart out of the equation (although, admittedly, I think his off ice value and leadership is a big factor as well to keeping him). The decision becomes easier as the year moves on if Robinson doesn't take a "step" - or two. Certainly not a challenging spot for CBJ as they'll still likely lose Kukan but exposing Robinson might change that position as well.

Just some thoughts. And this doesn't account for any trade deadline deals... (coming or going)

Reactions: Toe Pick

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Given the recent deal I don't think we need to protect PLD any more. :)

Seriously though, the trade changes the dynamic as we added two players to protect and only removed one. Decision may not be as easy any more. The only intrigue remains forwards:

Exempt:
Texier
Bemstrom
Foudy

Protect:
Laine
Bjorkstrand
Jenner
Domi
Roslovic

Decisions:
Nyquist - I only put him here as there may be a chance he doesn't require protection if he spends enough time on LTIR (I need to revisit)
Robinson - Most likely to be exposed now with the recent deal
Atkinson - I love the guy. He's a CBJ through and through but man that contract and his play the last 2+ seasons has me very worried he's not the player we paid him to be (I'm sure he'll be protected but this, to me, would be a hard dollars/sense/future decision)

I'm not hating on Atkinson. I'm taking the heart out of the equation (although, admittedly, I think his off ice value and leadership is a big factor as well to keeping him). The decision becomes easier as the year moves on if Robinson doesn't take a "step" - or two. Certainly not a challenging spot for CBJ as they'll still likely lose Kukan but exposing Robinson might change that position as well.

Just some thoughts. And this doesn't account for any trade deadline deals... (coming or going)

I'm not sure if a single thing has changed. Roslovic isn't a lock to protect yet, if he plays well he can be but not based on how he played in Winnipeg. It still looks like it will be Kukan, or maybe Robinson. And for all we know Jarmo will want to work something out to get Seattle to take Cam. Not saying I expect that, but the unexpected is to be expected.

Full disclosure: the possibility of moving Cam popped in my head because of the challenge of paying Barkov+Laine/1C+Werenski+Jones that we went through in the other thread. It is doable with Cam in the lineup but you're counting on some new ELC players stepping up. It is very very easy to make it work if Cam is in Seattle.

Last edited:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I'm not sure if a single thing has changed. Roslovic isn't a lock to protect yet, if he plays well he can be but not based on how he played in Winnipeg. It still looks like it will be Kukan, or maybe Robinson. And for all we know Jarmo will want to work something out to get Seattle to take Cam. Not saying I expect that, but the unexpected is to be expected.

Full disclosure: the possibility of moving Cam popped in my head because of the challenge of paying Barkov+Laine/1C+Werenski+Jones that we went through in the other thread. It is doable with Cam in the lineup but you're counting on some new ELC players stepping up. It is very very easy to make it work if Cam is in Seattle.

Agree 100%. Roslovic was a spare part w the Jets so I 100% wouldn't plan on protecting him.
AS I mentioned above I would love to expose Cam or Nyquist. If we save a productive player making a low salary then please, please take the guys making 4-5X that.
That's the rub Seattle will likely take some overpaid guys (who still produce) and some guys where they can pick up some other assets (Hey Kraken take Cam and we'll give you a 3rd round pick as an example). I wouldn't expect them to take a Cam Atkinson, unless he starts producing again, but it may allow us to protect someone while exposing him.

Reactions: majormajor

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

Unfortunate timing I'm replying to this after his first game but simply haven't been on. I think you're crazy if you don't think the Jackets plan to protect Roslovic. He was/is a lock the moment they traded for him. Tried to draft him, tried to trade for him, he's done nothing to indicate he doesn't have upside and he can play a premium position...along with cost control. You and I will just have to disagree on this one. I realize you have the statement covered depending on how well he plays but I don't think that will matter given the short season and what appears to be in the tool box. He wasn't a throw in. Just my opinion.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Agree 100%. Roslovic was a spare part w the Jets so I 100% wouldn't plan on protecting him.
AS I mentioned above I would love to expose Cam or Nyquist. If we save a productive player making a low salary then please, please take the guys making 4-5X that.
That's the rub Seattle will likely take some overpaid guys (who still produce) and some guys where they can pick up some other assets (Hey Kraken take Cam and we'll give you a 3rd round pick as an example). I wouldn't expect them to take a Cam Atkinson, unless he starts producing again, but it may allow us to protect someone while exposing him.
I'll disagree with you too... Just so I'm consistent. :) Oddly enough Seth Jones could have been considered a spare part too based on what was in front of him. Roslovic didn't play his natural position and not consistent ice time in Winnipeg. He may amount to nothing but from what I know, he's got a bigger role planned in Columbus and the brass is still very high on him. CBJ may also be able to apply for a waiver for Nyquist based on his IR time. Need to follow up on that but it's a possibility. If Cam doesn't start putting the puck in the net again, they may be able to expose him and NOT lose him...

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Unfortunate timing I'm replying to this after his first game but simply haven't been on. I think you're crazy if you don't think the Jackets plan to protect Roslovic. He was/is a lock the moment they traded for him. Tried to draft him, tried to trade for him, he's done nothing to indicate he doesn't have upside and he can play a premium position...along with cost control. You and I will just have to disagree on this one. I realize you have the statement covered depending on how well he plays but I don't think that will matter given the short season and what appears to be in the tool box. He wasn't a throw in. Just my opinion.

I think they do plan on protecting Roslovic but all sorts of things can change in the next six months.

I know you just think I'm mistaken and not actually crazy but I think we shouldn't casually call each other crazy.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I think they do plan on protecting Roslovic but all sorts of things can change in the next six months.

I know you just think I'm mistaken and not actually crazy but I think we shouldn't casually call each other crazy.
Crazy carries multiple connotations. No, I do not think you are deranged or insane but the thought of not protecting Roslovic is crazy (odd, bizarre, unusual, extreme).

I think it's utterly ridiculous that you would think the CBJ wouldn't protect Roslovic regardless of the type of year he has...

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Crazy carries multiple connotations. No, I do not think you are deranged or insane but the thought of not protecting Roslovic is crazy (odd, bizarre, unusual, extreme).

I think it's utterly ridiculous that you would think the CBJ wouldn't protect Roslovic regardless of the type of year he has...
if he has an horrible year and none of the vets are worth exposing (Cam, Laine, Gus, Bone, Bjork)
isnt impossible because the team has to expose 2 F(1 being robi) the other being roslo or one of the other 5. assuming no contract change and no others like gerbe getting the requirment.

if koivu is ok with it I would totally resign him and expose him. even if he suck next year who cares that would make everything easier, nash or a waiver pick up would work too.

anyway Im 100% sure that jarmo is always working to improve so its likely the player at the end of the season be the same

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad