2021 Seattle Expansion Draft (Seattle selects D. Gavin Bayruether)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
For all we know if Stenlund got more NHL time earlier in his career we would've just been Karlsson'd again.

We do have an expansion draft again this summer. We could get Karlsson'd again since I'm pretty sure nobody has Stenlund on their list of people to protect right now.

Reactions: Aurinko

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
And if he plays strongly for the rest of the season, perhaps this make for an interesting decision on the protection list on who plays their way off the list.

I think the last time anyone came up with a proposed protection list it was before we acquired Roslovic as well.
At this point, I'd definitely have Laine, Roslovic, Atkinson, Bjorkstrand, and Domi on the list. That leaves two spots for guys like Jenner, Nyquist, Stenlund, or Foligno if we're really concerned the "ha ha, sure, take our UFA, we dare you" strategy won't work.

I figure one way or another the end result still adds up to "we're losing Kukan".

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
And I searched:

I believe the last shot at the protection list from The Athletic was as follows:

Forwards:
Cam Atkinson
Oliver Bjorkstrand
Max Domi
Pierre Luc Dubois
Boone Jenner
Gus Nyquist
Eric Robinson

Defense:
Seth Jones
Zack Werenski
Vldaislav Gavrikov

Goalies:
Joonas Korpisalo

Exempt:
Alexandre Texier
Emil Bemstrom
Liam Foudy
Andrew Peeke
Elvis Merzlikins

Pending UFA:
Nick Foligno
David Savard

If you replace PLD with Laine it seems obvious you remove Eric Robinson for Jack Roslovic. If Kevin Stenlund plays like he is a top 6 center that you want to keep, then you probably need to make a decision between Boone Jenner and Gus Nyquist. Maybe Max Domi if we end up deciding we got screwed in the Josh Anderson trade.

Reactions: Viqsi

pled

Sep 7, 2009
ForwardDefenseGoalie
LaineWerenskiKorpisalo
BjorkstrandGavrikovKivlenieks
RoslovicJonesJohnson
AtkinsonKukan
DomiHarrington(8)
JennerCarlsson(17)
Nyquist
Robinson
Stenlund(1)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2 Forward 1 Defense 1 Goalie need to be exposed
4 Forward 4 Defense 1 Goalie or 7 Forward 3 Defense 1 Goalie can be protected

Protect Korpisalo, Werenski, Gavrikov, Jones, Atkinson, Roslovic, Bjorkstrand, Laine, Stenlund, Jenner, Domi
Expose Nyquist(or another forward), Robinson, Kukan, Harrington, Carlsson, Kivlenieks, Johnson, Gerbe, Thurkauf, Sherwood, Pu

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
ForwardDefenseGoalie
LaineWerenskiKorpisalo
BjorkstrandGavrikovKivlenieks
RoslovicJonesJohnson
AtkinsonKukan
DomiHarrington(8)
JennerCarlsson(17)
Nyquist
Robinson
Stenlund(1)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2 Forward 1 Defense 1 Goalie need to be exposed
4 Forward 4 Defense 1 Goalie or 7 Forward 3 Defense 1 Goalie can be protected

Protect Korpisalo, Werenski, Gavrikov, Jones, Atkinson, Roslovic, Bjorkstrand, Laine, Stenlund, Jenner, Domi
Expose Nyquist(or another forward), Robinson, Kukan, Harrington, Carlsson, Kivlenieks, Johnson, Gerbe, Thurkauf, Sherwood, Pu

Swap Stenlund and Nyquist and I agree completely

Reactions: Byrral

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
idk man do you want another Karlsson. theres one of the vet that probably should be let go over Stenlund

Stenlunds only nhl qualities are his size and wrist shot. This isn’t anything like karlsson. Seattle likely picks Kukan

Reactions: thebus88

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
NO way do I use a spot to protect Nyquist

He'll be 32 years old at the start of next season, coming off major shoulder surgery

If Seattle wants to take the risk go for it, Jarmo should be capable of using his cap space to replace him

the team is starved for top 6 forwards, especially LWers (even more amplified if Foligno walks/gets traded), and we have one on IR, and yet he should be exposed? I don’t think that’s going to happen. He’s signed for 2 more years not long term.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
the team is starved for top 6 forwards, especially LWers (even more amplified if Foligno walks/gets traded), and we have one on IR, and yet he should be exposed? I don’t think that’s going to happen. He’s signed for 2 more years not long term.
I guess it's all on the few games that he might play. but if he doesn't show anything then I wouldn't worry exposing him

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Let Seattle pay $11 million for 2 years of a guy who will be 32 years old when the season starts coming off shoulder surgery if they want. I expect they’ll pass on that and take Kukan or Robinson. I think Stenlund has plenty of flaws, but I would protect him. I expect Seattle will use their cap space to take on contracts that other teams pay them to take, not a guy like Nyquist.

If they do take Nyquist, you can go after a LW like Jaden Schwartz in free agency with the money saved from Nyquist. Or maybe add someone like Blake Coleman, who plays like a Blue Jacket (and went to Miami). Put a Cup winner in the locker room to tell the kids what it takes.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I can see both sides of argument to protect Nyqvist. Depends on organizations thinking as to the team needs a rebuild or jsut a re-tooling. I'd keep him. Easier to replace a 3rd/4th liner than a top 6 LW.
If nothing else at some point he'd be an attractive TDL acquisition for a team.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Laine, Atkinson, Roslovic, Bjork, Jenner, Domi should be protected. Foligno does not matter. He will be a UFA and will return to CBJ so that he can get his management spot when his playing days are over. I agree with those who say "let Seattle take Nyquist ......please". So it probably comes down to Robinson or Stenlund. Now, just stop and think about that. Our talent level is so low that we can actually think about protecting guys like Robinson and Stenlund who are at best fringe NHL players. Between the two I would protect Stenlund because I could see room for growth from him. Robinson is what he is.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Laine, Atkinson, Roslovic, Bjork, Jenner, Domi should be protected. Foligno does not matter. He will be a UFA and will return to CBJ so that he can get his management spot when his playing days are over. I agree with those who say "let Seattle take Nyquist ......please". So it probably comes down to Robinson or Stenlund. Now, just stop and think about that. Our talent level is so low that we can actually think about protecting guys like Robinson and Stenlund who are at best fringe NHL players. Between the two I would protect Stenlund because I could see room for growth from him. Robinson is what he is.

“Look at how low our talent level is.”

*willingly exposes a top 6 forward.*

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC

that's a fair point, but we have quality F's in Bjork, Cam and Laine who are under-performing
due not having better play making centers

I'd be willing to risk losing Gus and take that 5 Million to go out and get the best center I can find

I just don't see an expansion team drafting a 32 year old coming off major surgery, Seattle would also be risking drafting a guy who could walk after 2 years also, put yourself in the GM's role and ask yourself if that's the players you want to be drafting

pled

Sep 7, 2009
that's a fair point, but we have quality F's in Bjork, Cam and Laine who are under-performing
due not having better play making centers

I'd be willing to risk losing Gus and take that 5 Million to go out and get the best center I can find

I just don't see an expansion team drafting a 32 year old coming off major surgery, Seattle would also be risking drafting a guy who could walk after 2 years also, put yourself in the GM's role and ask yourself if that's the players you want to be drafting
if its between him and kukan.

I am pretty sure that if theres no trade till then Seattle will pick the 8th forward of the team but maybe someone like kukan a lot.

Last edited:

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015

This is how I see it too - Nyquist's protection is Nyquist.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
NO way do I use a spot to protect Nyquist

He'll be 32 years old at the start of next season, coming off major shoulder surgery

If Seattle wants to take the risk go for it, Jarmo should be capable of using his cap space to replace him
This x 1 million .. let them pick up his contract . Dude will be 32 , coming off surgery , spend that money on a #1c

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad