2021 Seattle Expansion Draft (Seattle selects D. Gavin Bayruether)

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Landeskog is UFA and is a waste to be protected unless they really believe he would sign there. Giordano is old and washed up at 37. The only one of those that potentially has real value to them is Tarasenko.

Tank also has a staple holding his shoulder together.

Tank either brings you goals or he's a super expensive bottom six. He doesn't have a great 200ft game, he doesn't have elite vision, he's not going too crush people. His game was a sniper with a very hard and highly accurate shot. Serious shoulder and wrist injuries diminish or destroy that.

If the above were not true, we lost Drouin and for a few million more, he would play next to Suzuki and CC, destroying goalie careers.

Just my two cents worth...

Reactions: majormajor

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
I'm just checking in here this weekend and shocked to see people are shocked to see Domi exposed. Duh!
We're in a rebuild and it's obvious Domi isn't part of it. He's gone after this season regardless of what Seattle does. He was never a fit from day one. Having said all that, I'd be shocked if Seattle took him. Why would they want a pending free agent who may not play until January? Why would we?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I'm just checking in here this weekend and shocked to see people are shocked to see Domi exposed. Duh!
We're in a rebuild and it's obvious Domi isn't part of it. He's gone after this season regardless of what Seattle does. He was never a fit from day one. Having said all that, I'd be shocked if Seattle took him. Why would they want a pending free agent who may not play until January? Why would we?
Rebuilding teams like to stockpile draft picks. Do you not think Domi could have garnered picks at the TDL with the Jackets retaining or taking on salary?

I do not know about his long term fit considering systems/coaches are changing.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I would just like to add I was also not protected by the franchise. Fair chance they give up draft capital to entice them to select me.
I have it on good authority that the mods have shopped you very aggressively to the mods of all the other teams.

The best offer back was from Vegas. A broken William Karlsson skate lace and an unpublished poem about scurvy by Pete Deboer. Sorry for your luck. You are here to stay.

Reactions: Johansen2Foligno

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I am hopeful the reason they listed Domi is there is more to the story than we are getting.

This was a Covid year and everything was upside down. So I give Domi a little bit of a pass. Hockey is about hanging with boys and this year was very solitary.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Domi put up 17 points in his final 27 games - a 63 point pace. This front office is moronic.

That math is off by a mile.

That and who cares, this guy has been wildly inconsistent his whole career, it's not like he suddenly has it all figured out now.

Rebuilding teams like to stockpile draft picks. Do you not think Domi could have garnered picks at the TDL with the Jackets retaining or taking on salary?

I do not know about his long term fit considering systems/coaches are changing.

Not a long term fit with Roslovic filling the same niche of offensive one-way center.

Maybe he could have fetched a 2nd at the deadline, his playoff record is unfortunately not going to help there.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I have to believe the front office knows more about the status of Domi's shoulder than they've made public. But yes, Jarmo has already proven to be moronic with roster management.

My guess is Domi made it clear he won't resign here. I'm further speculating that Domi probably upset the CBJ by scheduling his surgery so he would miss a few months of the season. Again I could be wrong on both ends but that is my guess.

Now the asset management side is questionable. And I think that is how many of us look at it. If Domi is out until December and plays ok I would think minimum (solid player, last year of contract) that he would get back a 2nd round pick, maybe even a first? I can't imagine (and again I've been wrong on these things) that Robinson would net more than a mid round draft pick.

But Seattle is going to have a lot of tough decisions - lot of good goalies out there. If they were in this just to take on expiring contracts and then flipping them at the deadline it would be interesting.

To me I think they take the upside on a couple younger goalies (I would love for them to take C. Price just to see Montreal flip out), but seems like consensus has Holtby going there. There are some really good dmen (Giordano) on last year of deal - and I think he takes the "C". Throw in potential of Dunn and Bean and I think the blue line is really good. Forwards - I think our old pal RyJo goes.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
Landeskog is UFA and is a waste to be protected unless they really believe he would sign there.

Seattle can negotiate with him to arrive at a contract between now and the exp draft, pick him, then flip his rights to whatever team wants to pay for negotiating rights - that team would already know what they'd need to do to sign him. There's a thread on the mains about the NYI wanting to go after him - if that's true (there's dispute as to the reliability of the source), this is their avenue.

I am also wondering if the rules would allow them to sign him and trade him at the 2021-2022 trade deadline. If so, they negotiate a one year deal with him at a highly inflated rate and with the agreement that he's got a NMC. At the deadline, they move him (presuming he waives the NMC, which I have to expect he would) to a contender and he then can go back to UFA next summer to get his payday.

He gets an outsized year of earnings, still gets to get his UFA contract while he's in his window, and wouldn't even "burn" a year of his career playing for a doormat since he'd end the season playing for a playoff team. And Seattle gets deadline day pricing for a high character player who can contribute.

The only risk is him getting injured (big, big risk, obviously). Don't know if they're allowed to do this with contracts though.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
We were always going to lose someone good or useful. That's the nature of the game. The difference this time is that after Vegas everyone figured out that you just have to gamble with who they're going to take rather than throw assets at Seattle to get additional protections for the dude you like.

If I recall, Vegas was Clarkson + 1st +2nd + Karlsson to further protect Anderson. (And dump Clarkson).

Would you want to throw picks and assets at Seattle to save Domi (or Robinson had he been exposed)? Or would you rather gamble that they take Kukan regardless?

Again we were always going to lose someone. I will at least be happy it'll be one player and not one player plus multiple picks.

Reactions: Jive Pawnbroker

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
That math is off by a mile.

That and who cares, this guy has been wildly inconsistent his whole career, it's not like he suddenly has it all figured out now.
upload_2021-7-19_10-3-12.png

He's averaged 50+ points per season for his career. Do we think maybe there was an exception to the rule in his first 27 games here joining a new team during covid?

Both he and Robinson are 26. Yes, Domi is a UFA next summer and I don't think he sticks around long term (I didn't think that even before this dumba** FO left him exposed). But he'd make a great TDL rental....of course, in order to be the one to sell him at the deadline you have to keep him on the roster.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Has anyone considered that perhaps he is an off-ice culture problem? There were rumors of it in Montreal. I'm not suggesting he is or is not, but I am open to the possibility.

Reactions: Fro and LJ7201

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
View attachment 453956

He's averaged 50+ points per season for his career. Do we think maybe there was an exception to the rule in his first 27 games here joining a new team during covid?

Both he and Robinson are 26. Yes, Domi is a UFA next summer and I don't think he sticks around long term (I didn't think that even before this dumba** FO left him exposed). But he'd make a great TDL rental....of course, in order to be the one to sell him at the deadline you have to keep him on the roster.

I'll give you the same question I gave Espen:

Why do you think Barclay Goodrow got just as much trade deadline value as prime Thomas Vanek did (late 1st vs Collberg + 2nd)? Domi does not seem like a typical "great TDL rental". There's a real chance Domi fetches less than Robinson, so you really have to focus more on the question of whether the player is a long term fit or not, and you yourself seem to agree that he won't be here.

Reactions: LJ7201

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Has anyone considered that perhaps he is an off-ice culture problem? There were rumors of it in Montreal. I'm not suggesting he is or is not, but I am open to the possibility.

I've never seen anything concrete pointing in that direction. His on-ice demeanor, on the other hand...

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
We were always going to lose someone good or useful. That's the nature of the game. The difference this time is that after Vegas everyone figured out that you just have to gamble with who they're going to take rather than throw assets at Seattle to get additional protections for the dude you like.

If I recall, Vegas was Clarkson + 1st +2nd + Karlsson to further protect Anderson. (And dump Clarkson).

Would you want to throw picks and assets at Seattle to save Domi (or Robinson had he been exposed)? Or would you rather gamble that they take Kukan regardless?

Again we were always going to lose someone. I will at least be happy it'll be one player and not one player plus multiple picks.

We're not paying them to not take our marginal players. They're charging 1st round picks this time and it doesn't even matter, we don't have good enough players even if the price was a 2nd rounder.

The price Vegas charged in 2017 was a 2nd rounder, by the way. That's what we paid to steer them away from Anderson. Clarkson was the 1st, those were two separate agreements lumped into one trade.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Good. I mean, as good as can be expected.

I have a bias on this given my hope that the CBJ retain Domi, but I actually do think Kukan makes sense as the pick if you're doing something crazy like, I don't know, trying to ice an actual hockey team. Not sure how much Domi is going to help Seattle with that next year.

The Kraken are at some point going to need actual players to play and not merely be a collection of flippable assets that get much of the HF crowd all hot and bothered. I feel like that sometimes gets lost in the discussion around these parts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad