WC: 2021 Russia Roster Talk

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
The offense has struggled vs. Slovakia, I wonder if they could turn that around, at least in the game vs. Denmark and then in the remaining games.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I was watching the USA-Kazakhstan game today and they said that there's quarantine in place for six days. I wonder if the info is correct or does Tarasenko play already tomorrow against Denmark?

Players joining the tournament must quarantine for 3 days, then can only practice for 3 more days, so a player arriving now can only play the last game of the group stage.

Johnny Tomala

Jan 24, 2017
He can't join. Russia already announced Ilya Samsonov will join the team. Teams can have 25 skaters plus 3 goalkeepers at this tournament. Russia goalie lineup is full. Russia whole tournament lineups is also full.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He can't join. Russia already announced Ilya Samsonov will join the team. Teams can have 25 skaters plus 3 goalkeepers at this tournament. Russia goalie lineup is full. Russia whole tournament lineups is also full.

Samsonov won't come, though, because Caps didn't let him to come.

Cherepanov7

Sep 23, 2020
Is there an update for Grigorenko and Kuzmenko? Okulov is confirmed "out of tournament", but the other two?

Last edited:

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
He is just an overhyped undersized goalie who plays for SKA - enough said. Now he is not awful, but he is not a NT starter. Kinda like Askarov, overhyped, not bad, has technical issues.

Yeah, SKA has been gathering some hate as a corrupt institution where 'blat' is omnipresent. Askarov has the same rebound control issues, I guess SKA goalie trainers have no clue what rebounds are and that these should be controlled.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Is there an update for Grigorenko and Kuzmenko? Okulov is confirmed "out of tournament", but the other two?
Nesterov posted a photo in instagramm where Orlov is spinning next to Grigorenko who's right wrist is very much tied up. The same one, that was infringed upon by a British player.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Orlov is welcome. He finished the season white hot, by far the best stretch of games of his career. In general, he is very underrated right now.

Yep. Caps best defenseman at the end of the season and in the playoffs.

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
Lines from yesterday's practice:

Group 1:
Samonov, Bocharov.

Nesterov - Zadorov
Gavrikov - Provorov
Ozhiganov - Rafikov
Dronov - Orlov

Slepyshev - Voronkov - Shalunov
Tolchinsky - Karnaukhov - Barabanov
Galimov - Morozov - Burdasov
Shvets-Rogovoy - Kamenev - Timkin

Group 2:
Bocharov, Fedotov

Zub, Kuzmenko, Grigorenko, Tarasenko

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
Who'll sit if everyone healthy and ready? Maybe something like this:

Zub - Zadorov
Gavrikov - Provorov
Nesterov- Orlov
Ozhiganov

Slepyshev - Shalunov - Tarasenko
Grigorenko - Karnaukhov - Barabanov
Kuzmenko/Tolchinskiy - Morozov - Burdasov
Shvets-Rogovoy - Kamenev - Timkin/Voronkov
Galimov

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I never understood why Samonov was given these big roles with SKA and the Russian National Team. He’s an average KHL goalie. He’s probably SKA’s third best goalie.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I never understood why Samonov was given these big roles with SKA and the Russian National Team. He’s an average KHL goalie. He’s probably SKA’s third best goalie.

Not a huge fan of him, but if not him then who? It might sound strange with a lot of good goalies there recently, but with so many goalies moving overseas there's a certain shortage of good Russian KHL-based goalies.

Reactions: BlitzSnipe

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not a huge fan of him, but if not him then who? It might sound strange with a lot of good goalies there recently, but with so many goalies moving overseas there's a certain shortage of good Russian KHL-based goalies.

That’s a fair point, although my point was more over-arching beyond just this tournament. I would suggest an older goalie like Bobkov/Garipov and a younger goalie like Askarov/Tarasov would’ve been the way to go. If Samonov was #3 it’s less of an issue, but he doesn’t bring results or youth. I’m not sure it accomplishes much to give him games.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
That’s a fair point, although my point was more over-arching beyond just this tournament. I would suggest an older goalie like Bobkov/Garipov and a younger goalie like Askarov/Tarasov would’ve been the way to go. If Samonov was #3 it’s less of an issue, but he doesn’t bring results or youth. I’m not sure it accomplishes much to give him games.

Garipov definitely doesn't belong in this conversation at all for quite some years. I think Bobkov is still a downgrade comparing to Samonov, maybe could compete with Bocharov though. Tarasov was in Cleveland last time I checked, as for Askarov I wouldn't mind to at least see him in the camp, but he almost didn't play since the WJC. Not to mention that so far, Samonov actually brings results here pretty decently - doesn't steal games, of course, yet isn't bad either.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad