2021 Roster Thread XVI - Where thoughts are both sweet and sour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Chris Stewart, Derek Grant, and Nate Thompson are so, so, so negligible that anyone still actually complaining about them has to be intentionally ignoring the actual problems with this roster in order to pin blame on minor Fletcher acquisitions

A GM who believes those players are solutions in any way is not a GM capable of fixing the problems you speak of. That's the point.

Last edited:

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Lebrun was on TSN 1050 last night and specifically mentioned the Flyers several times when talking about Jones. He believes the flyers have the assets to match what Columbus is looking for. He mentioned “24/25 year olds” as part of return. Also did not mention any other teams regarding Jones outside of saying many would be interested.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Lebrun was on TSN 1050 last night and specifically mentioned the Flyers several times when talking about Jones. He believes the flyers have the assets to match what Columbus is looking for. He mentioned “24/25 year olds” as part of return. Also did not mention any other teams regarding Jones outside of saying many would be interested.
So we have Konency, Lindblom, Aube-Kubel, Sanheim and Myers. A few others but not too sure how interest they would be in Laczynski

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
giphy.gif

Such an underrated Pixar movie.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
A GM who believes those players are solutions in any way is not a GM capable of fixing the problems you speak of. That's the point.

It's really, really telling how peoppe can't see this. No one actually gives a shit about Stewart, Grant, Thompson, Hagg, or any of the other non NHL level players we've trotted out the last few years. It is, and always has been, about the process of thinking thay sub-NHL or replacement level players are a worthwhile addition to this team.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Chris Stewart, Derek Grant, and Nate Thompson are so, so, so negligible that anyone still actually complaining about them has to be intentionally ignoring the actual problems with this roster in order to pin blame on minor Fletcher acquisitions

There are no negligible moves. Everything matters, down to the 7th defenseman on the Phantoms and beyond. No GM is going to bat a thousand, but Fletch is building some kind of Voltron of shit and it's a massive problem. It's like poking a hole in your ship. Yeah, one small hole isn't going to matter very much, but no captain should be poking f***ing holes in his ship!, and by the time he pokes his 1oth or 100th hole, you're sunk.

What are Fletch's GOOD moves? Pitlick was just fine but was always going to be a yearlong acquisition. Niskanen played fairly well for a year albeit with one horrendous playoff game, retired, and in the meantime we sunk a sizable amount of our cap space into acquiring him. Aside from those two moves, what else has Fletch done that's positive? Hayes' contract has been a problem since the day it was signed. Ditto Laughton's. Braun was just treading water relatively expensively at best. Ditto Gus. Elliott's corpse was a problem. Stewie, Grant, Thompson are shit. Losing Friedman needlessly so that we could give Nate f***ING Prosser playing time is a joke. Andreoff?

I keep looking for silver-linings, some glimmers of hope that Chuck actually has a sensible plan and is capable of executing it, but all I see is a mountain of shit.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Would think it is Myers. Makes no senses to move Sanheim in a deal for Jones.

Sanheim maybe in a deal for Eichel but Flyers management will f*** this up somehow

I'd prefer using assets for Eichel.

But the idea of having Jones and Provorov as a top pairing for the next half decade is intriguing. Both have had some slide in their play over the past few years, but both are capable of high level play.

It's a (expensive trade and sign) risk, and maybe it works out.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Would think it is Myers. Makes no senses to move Sanheim in a deal for Jones.

Sanheim maybe in a deal for Eichel but Flyers management will f*** this up somehow
It will be Sanheim because we have LHD depth.

Prepare for him to go.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Seems to me that Sanheim & Konecny would be the prime chips in a Jones trade. Both are young, yet established NHLers. Both former first rounders. And, most importantly for CBJ, both are under team control for a while. I’d imagine those are the players to whom LeBrun is referring. I’m not necessarily saying both go together, but they’d be good fits for Columbus.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I’ll just never understand the concept of bleeding value because you have a need organizationally.

it’s f***ing dumb and how we have been losers for the last what 47 years or whatever.

I think Ghost is done here like it or not. I would use him because he still has two years left and then start using picks to try and meet their price. Sanheim or Konency in a deal for a UFA is already a lose.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I'd prefer using assets for Eichel.

But the idea of having Jones and Provorov as a top pairing for the next half decade is intriguing. Both have had some slide in their play over the past few years, but both are capable of high level play.

It's a (expensive trade and sign) risk, and maybe it works out.

Step 1: acquire Jones
Step 2: include Jones in the package to get Eichel

iu

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
There's really no comparison between Stewart and Grant. Grant had 15 points in 46 games for Anaheim this season.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm just glad that nothing matters because otherwise things might actually be concerning. Luckily Fletcher hasn't made a single mistake yet, so we're in good hands.

No mistakes in Minnesota either. Only Chicago and various other teams stopped them. If only those other teams didn't exist.

Reactions: Striiker

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I guess the silver lining in getting Jones as part of the plan to scapegoat the dmen for AV's systemic failings is that when Jones falls flat, AV is next in line as scapegoat.

The bad news is it means Flutcher will pick another coach.

Reactions: Rebels57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino