2021 Roster Thread XVI - Where thoughts are both sweet and sour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
If we get Eichel I can definitely see Hayes on the move after his movement protection expires after the 21-22 season. We'd at least have the benefit of Coots only making 4.33 next season.

Or it allows the team to trade Couturier for a haul, and have the dynamic duo of Eichel-Hayes. The only place Hayes is moving is to permanent assistant captain.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Id trade premium assets for Eichel even if the chances at his career ending were like 75%. Thats how sick of status quo I am.

Might even allow us to move Hayes to the RW where he belongs.

I mean..

1. Eichel
  2. Couturier
  3. Hayes/Laughton/Frost/Patrick
  4. Laughton/Frost/Patrick/Lacyznski

Thats arguable the best C group in the NHL any way it shakes out.
Annnnnnnnnddddd AV and his basura coaching will f*** that up as well

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Flyers are going to need a goalie to share the net with Hart.

Free agency is probably the best option to sign a goalie for a year or two. Freddy Andersen, Bernier and Raanta could be a few options.

Reactions: Larry44

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Flyers are going to need a goalie to share the net with Hart.

Free agency is probably the best option to sign a goalie for a year or two. Freddy Andersen, Bernier and Raanta could be a few options.
I mentioned Tuuka Rask earlier this year but some of his comments up their made me think he is retiring or going home to Finland.

Rask would be my #1 target for the goalie spot. Hart bounces back you have one hell of a 1-2 there.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I mentioned Tuuka Rask earlier this year but some of his comments up their made me think he is retiring or going home to Finland.

Rask would be my #1 target for the goalie spot. Hart bounces back you have one hell of a 1-2 there.
Rask would be a decent option to pair with Hart but Rask only wants to play in Boston and if he is not in Boston he will retire to Finland.

If the Flyers do sign a veteran goalie I prefer it to be a goalie under the age of 34 years old that can still move around the crease.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
All this talk of Eichel. As if we didn't hear them blame it all on covid preemptively putting in excuse for yet another passive offseason.

We were also told to celebrate Elliott 500 game so he might as well be retired. Mike Smith and Anton Stralman plus some low event high reputation plug upfront is all I'm expecting.

Reactions: Rebels57

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
but we still have giroux at that cap. and over paid veterans. + Anze is still productive, 70 points a year.

but yes , there still that salary cap problem. Its just that i find our lack of offense at forward position preocupating, you see all the good team what they have. or very well balanced. the mix of youngs guys that could be productive and the unproductive veterans is a major issues with the flyers.

at least if this group cannot perform, something gotta happen.

The age is the biggest problem for me.

Reactions: Math the wild rose

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Or it allows the team to trade Couturier for a haul, and have the dynamic duo of Eichel-Hayes. The only place Hayes is moving is to permanent assistant captain.

I can't be the only one worried about how much they put Hayes forward, right? He and Laughton seem to be the go-to forwards when it comes to the social media team, and he was the only player they put in that "we need you back" commercial. Not their Captain. It's worrying and I don't like it.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I can't be the only one worried about how much they put Hayes forward, right? He and Laughton seem to be the go-to forwards when it comes to the social media team, and he was the only player they put in that "we need you back" commercial. Not their Captain. It's worrying and I don't like it.

I mean, I don't know how much more often or how much more intensely I can express my worry, and hatred, and spite, and regret.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Why are we still talking about Chris Stewart? Ummm because he’s a development coach for this team. Which makes him only a few years away from being the AHL head coach or an NHL assistant. It’s called precedent.

Don’t worry, we’ll get the next Grompsonwart to discuss in a few weeks. It’s called precedent.

#Historylesson

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
TB might be on their way to another Cup because they found a way to get maximum cap efficiency.

Meanwhile the Flyers are far more worried about getting their old washed up pals a paycheck against the cap (and then leading into coaching jobs they have no qualifications for) while doing "rivals" cap favors.

100% this...^^^

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
All this talk of Eichel. As if we didn't hear them blame it all on covid preemptively putting in excuse for yet another passive offseason.

We were also told to celebrate Elliott 500 game so he might as well be retired. Mike Smith and Anton Stralman plus some low event high reputation plug upfront is all I'm expecting.

so you arent prepared for Moose's return then ?

Oct 26, 2018
somewhere
www.facebook.com
Huh? Prime years are 24-32 or so forwards, maybe an extra year or two for defensemen.
Hayes deal started at 27, so similar to JVR, who'll also be 33 when his deal ends, same price.
JVR is a better scorer, but Hayes has more value as a center who PKs and plays PP2. Centers are much harder to find, as we well know.

It's not a great contract, Fletcher wasn't in position to bargain hunt with Scott pushing to make the playoffs, and I suspect AV lobbied for Hayes, a player he knew and probably didn't want to lose in NY.

But it's certainly not an awful contract.

I'd like to see a healthy Hayes play with wings that fit, like JVR/Laughton/Farabee/Allison, and keep him far away from Voracek!

defensmen take longer to develop , their peaks are between 26-27 and 35-37 when they are well develloped, unless they are top 3 picks, im always impatient, but i would let the chance of these young defensmen to prove themselves untill the core have at lest 26-27 years old each of them, and then you make choices, that leave a gap of 3 years for all of them to show their worth here.

goaltenders usually start from 25 years old if they are meant to be first goalies. or strong back up like jake allen. bennington won the cup with the blues, he was 25 i think. acquiring a young goaltender that are around this age 26-27, is a must.

Last edited:

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Chris Stewart, Derek Grant, and Nate Thompson are so, so, so negligible that anyone still actually complaining about them has to be intentionally ignoring the actual problems with this roster in order to pin blame on minor Fletcher acquisitions

Reactions: deadhead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad