2021 Roster Thread XVI - Where thoughts are both sweet and sour

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It will be Sanheim because we have LHD depth.

Prepare for him to go.
As if Sanheim and Myers are equal...:dunno: He's also the only LHD who will be here that has played the right side.

Columbus also has Werenski and Gavrikov on the left side and only one RH shot outside of Jones - Andrew Peeke, a bubble guy, and no one else in the system. Same thing with Buffalo - Dahlin and Power now.

I'm sure the Flyers would move Sanheim in the right deal and maybe they even want to (poor defensively) but yeah I'm not sure why he'd be in a Jones deal. He also doesn't have a contract which could go both ways.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
As if Sanheim and Myers are equal...:dunno: He's also the only LHD who will be here that has played the right side.

Columbus also has Werenski and Gavrikov on the left side and only one RH shot outside of Jones - Andrew Peeke, a bubble guy, and no one else in the system. Same thing with Buffalo - Dahlin and Power now.

I'm sure the Flyers would move Sanheim in the right deal and maybe they even want to (poor defensively) but yeah I'm not sure why he'd be in a Jones deal. He also doesn't have a contract which could go both ways.
Myers or Ghost make much more sense in a trade for Jones. Sanheim I’ll just give up and become a Kraken fan.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

My thinking is that he is much better than Myers....so CBus will rob us in the deal.

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
There are no negligible moves. Everything matters, down to the 7th defenseman on the Phantoms and beyond. No GM is going to bat a thousand, but Fletch is building some kind of Voltron of shit and it's a massive problem. It's like poking a hole in your ship. Yeah, one small hole isn't going to matter very much, but no captain should be poking f***ing holes in his ship!, and by the time he pokes his 1oth or 100th hole, you're sunk.

What are Fletch's GOOD moves? Pitlick was just fine but was always going to be a yearlong acquisition. Niskanen played fairly well for a year albeit with one horrendous playoff game, retired, and in the meantime we sunk a sizable amount of our cap space into acquiring him. Aside from those two moves, what else has Fletch done that's positive? Hayes' contract has been a problem since the day it was signed. Ditto Laughton's. Braun was just treading water relatively expensively at best. Ditto Gus. Elliott's corpse was a problem. Stewie, Grant, Thompson are shit. Losing Friedman needlessly so that we could give Nate f***ING Prosser playing time is a joke. Andreoff?

I keep looking for silver-linings, some glimmers of hope that Chuck actually has a sensible plan and is capable of executing it, but all I see is a mountain of shit.

The turd polishers will say that his best move is the moves he hasn’t made. “He has stood up to the pressure of competing now and hasn’t completely f’d us by trading picks/prospects…”

in other words, even his most ardent supporters can’t find any reason to rate him more than “meh” at best

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I guess the silver lining in getting Jones as part of the plan to scapegoat the dmen for AV's systemic failings is that when Jones falls flat, AV is next in line as scapegoat.

The bad news is it means Flutcher will pick another coach.
Moving out the guys on the back end to scapegoat them for the failures of the coaching staff is so AV. Sort of nauseating to be honest but typical of what AV does. It's never his fault that a team of his underperforms. Always put it on the players. Sorry but that dog won't hunt. There were too many players who regressed this season for it to be on them. But teflon AV sticks it on them, Covid, whatever. Anything but himself.
The fans should be very concerned about how many guys will be moved out during this off season because they are seen by AV as not his type of players. It'll be all hidden under the guise of remaking the attitude in the locker room. Not saying that some moves shouldn't be made but it could get out of hand with some players being unnecessarily moved out in trades where the return does not meet the cost. AV is a desperate man. If this team doesn't perform, he'll never get another job as a HC in the NHL. Crashing a team that should ave made the POs like he did this season here in Philly sort of kills a resume.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Moving out the guys on the back end to scapegoat them for the failures of the coaching staff is so AV. Sort of nauseating to be honest but typical of what AV does. It's never his fault that a team of his underperforms. Always put it on the players. Sorry but that dog won't hunt. There were too many players who regressed this season for it to be on them. But teflon AV sticks it on them, Covid, whatever. Anything but himself.
The fans should be very concerned about how many guys will be moved out during this off season because they are seen by AV as not his type of players. It'll be all hidden under the guise of remaking the attitude in the locker room. Not saying that some moves shouldn't be made but it could get out of hand with some players being unnecessarily moved out in trades where the return does not meet the cost. AV is a desperate man. If this team doesn't perform, he'll never get another job as a HC in the NHL. Crashing a team that should ave made the POs like he did this season here in Philly sort of kills a resume.

I don't see this nightmare scenario.
Yes, Ghost and Voracek are on thin ice, but other players are likely more objects of opportunity than some purge.

And all those rumors about Jones are basically reporters connecting the dots, Flyers need a RHD, Jones is a RHD . . .
Flyers aren't say Colorado, a team that might be a tweak away from the Cup with a lot of young talent willing to overpay.
Flyers just cratered, that's not a situation where you see a rental as the solution.

Look for the flat cap to change the atmosphere surrounding negotiations, FAs will take longer to sign b/c player expectations will have to adjust to the new reality before they accept what they'll consider "low ball" offers - there just isn't that much money available to sign FAs. If I were Fletcher, I'd be patient, let a few teams overpay, then when the money dries up look for bargains.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Reaction-Meme-22.jpg

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
You still don’t pay the price for a UFA just because you can extend that player. You pay the price for his cost as is.
Then another team will, & you’re left empty-handed and with the same team that just missed the playoffs & has a huge hole on first pairing D. Congrats!

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Then another team will, & you’re left empty-handed and with the same team that just missed the playoffs & has a huge hole on first pairing D. Congrats!
Then you let a team overpay for the player then. There are other options out there and Jones isn’t really the best option to move major assets for.

So congrats on what?! Running an organization down the drain because you are overpaying like we have for the last 50 years…. I guess congrats guys!!

Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well f*** I always forget about OEL. I think he will be out there in the rumors again and Fletcher will be all over it.

I doubt anyone wants OEL with that contract, Ghost is a much better player at half the cost.

You don't need a "name" player to improve your team, Islanders add Pageau, Palmieri and Zajac (overpaid for them), TB added Goodrow and Coleman and so on.

Flyers should commit to the young forwards and bring in a veteran RHD on a short-term deal while they develop York and Zamula. The 6th and 7th D-spots can be filled within by players like Wylie, Hogberg, Millman, Attard, St Ivany in a year or two.

Same at goalie, sign a veteran 1B to a 2-3 year deal (so you can look at older veterans) to buy time for Ustimenko/Sandstrom/Ersson/Fedotov.

If you trade cost controlled young players, it should be for other cost controlled young players, not veteran rentals and not for big money extensions like Jones.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I wouldn't call it a huge hole, Provorov - Sanheim actually didn't look bad, if Sanheim is comfortable on the right side, problem solved.
And in a year or two, York and Zamula should be pushing for top 4 minutes.
It's not like say 2017-18, with Provorov - Ghost (exposed in the playoffs), AMac, Hagg, Manning, Gudas, Sanheim.

Fix the goalies and this is a playoff team.
Make a couple tweaks on top of that and this is a top 8 team.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't see this nightmare scenario.
Yes, Ghost and Voracek are on thin ice, but other players are likely more objects of opportunity than some purge.

And all those rumors about Jones are basically reporters connecting the dots, Flyers need a RHD, Jones is a RHD . . .
Flyers aren't say Colorado, a team that might be a tweak away from the Cup with a lot of young talent willing to overpay.
Flyers just cratered, that's not a situation where you see a rental as the solution.

Look for the flat cap to change the atmosphere surrounding negotiations, FAs will take longer to sign b/c player expectations will have to adjust to the new reality before they accept what they'll consider "low ball" offers - there just isn't that much money available to sign FAs. If I were Fletcher, I'd be patient, let a few teams overpay, then when the money dries up look for bargains.

Ghost being on thin ice would be an excellent testament to how incompetent this organization is.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ghost being on thin ice would be an excellent testament to how incompetent this organization is.

Ghost is a second tier player who tends to piss off his HCs (plural). He's not a key cog, and he could bring back a solid veteran in a contract for contract trade. If you want a cultural change, he's going to high on the list.
I'd rather give his minutes to York, who I think will be a much better player in a year. Same with Zamula.
The Ghost of seasons past is long gone, the current Ghost is easily replaceable. He's not awful, he's not special, either.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Ghost is a second tier player who tends to piss off his HCs (plural). He's not a key cog, and he could bring back a solid veteran in a contract for contract trade. If you want a cultural change, he's going to high on the list.
I'd rather give his minutes to York, who I think will be a much better player in a year. Same with Zamula.
The Ghost of seasons past is long gone, the current Ghost is easily replaceable. He's not awful, he's not special, either.

Which "solid veterans" on equivalent contracts are an upgrade? Pretty much none

If they do that then theyre creating a bigger problem while seeking to solve a problem that isn't a problem.

The current Ghost was a first pair caliber player on a cheap contract. That's your idea of easy to replace?

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I doubt anyone wants OEL with that contract, Ghost is a much better player at half the cost.

You don't need a "name" player to improve your team, Islanders add Pageau, Palmieri and Zajac (overpaid for them), TB added Goodrow and Coleman and so on.

Flyers should commit to the young forwards and bring in a veteran RHD on a short-term deal while they develop York and Zamula. The 6th and 7th D-spots can be filled within by players like Wylie, Hogberg, Millman, Attard, St Ivany in a year or two.

Same at goalie, sign a veteran 1B to a 2-3 year deal (so you can look at older veterans) to buy time for Ustimenko/Sandstrom/Ersson/Fedotov.

If you trade cost controlled young players, it should be for other cost controlled young players, not veteran rentals and not for big money extensions like Jones.
Not disagreeing with the logic behind your two recent posts here. However my major concern right now with the Flyers is that they’re not going to act logically. I can see AV pushing Fletcher to make deals that will preserve his hide and will not be in the long term interest of the organization. The Jones trade possibility is the one that makes me the most anxious for an over pay in terms of return and salary cost. CBJ asking for something like Sanheim, Ghost, TK and Laczynski wouldn’t surprise me and I can see Fletcher going for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad