Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
These people deserve this team. :laugh:

oDzk0qb.png

ExMpkQN.png

qV5QsgA.png

qW1wUje.png

*The Athletic

The people that read Charlie do so because they dont take the time to inform themselves so they need Charlie to do it for them. Those results are in line with the articles/tweets they read from Charlie and Meltzer.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah, the level of intelligence seen on those graphs pretty much reflects what we see on here, around the internet, on the broadcasts, and beyond.

Stupid people who just parrot whatever the media or other braindead fans say.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Meanwhile on the main boards from Curu's buddy Boxscore:

"Yet the coach-killing "leadership group" like Giroux and Voracek will be going nowhere. Rinse, repeat. Fletcher will give up a couple of youngsters like Konecny and Sanheim for a named player in their late-20s. The deal will look good for 2 years (even though the Flyers won't contend for anything), then the deal will turn into a disaster."

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Free agent-wise, I’d bet good money they go after Alec Martinez, who is a very good defenseman. The only concern with him is he’ll be 33. That said, they could use a good veteran top 4 D who plays hard, is mobile, & has a lot of playoff experience.

Trade-wise, they will shoot for Seth Jones. The board hates him, but he’s still a young, talented RHD who can log big minutes & still has plenty of room to keep improving.

I would consider Ekholm a target, also. I’d say those 3 top their list on D.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I'm a little surprised at how few people think Seth Jones is a realistic possibility.

Admittedly you should always bet on smaller trades in the NHL, but it feels like a perfect storm of a guy Fletcher is willing to empty the chamber for and an oncoming mega deal from a team that either won't or can't give it to him. The ability to pay Seattle to take salary can only help.

Please note I'm offering no opinion on the player. I'm commenting on the situation.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm a little surprised at how few people think Seth Jones is a realistic possibility.

Admittedly you should always bet on smaller trades in the NHL, but it feels like a perfect storm of a guy Fletcher is willing to empty the chamber for and a guy who's going to get a mega deal from a team that may/can not give it to him.

EMlgGHPX0AAM5lY.jpg

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Admittedly you should always bet on smaller trades in the NHL, but it feels like a perfect storm of a guy Fletcher is willing to empty the chamber for and an oncoming mega deal from a team that either won't or can't give it to him. The ability to pay Seattle to take salary can only help.

Please note I'm offering no opinion on the player. I'm commenting on the situation.

You’re spot on. But we don’t want to worry @DancingPanther . The guy is hanging on by a Lululemon thread. I probably shouldn’t have even @’d him. That’s my bad.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

You’re spot on. But we don’t want to worry @DancingPanther . The guy is hanging on by a Lululemon thread. I probably shouldn’t have even @’d him. That’s my bad.
I can offer opinions on the player

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Why would Vegas trade him?
I would give up assets for him. He’s a career +42.6 xGF-xGA difference. Career 53%+ CF%, basically all of his point shares are defensive point shares, and generally speaking players are more likely to do better with him on the ice. He’s more of a dull player, but he only costs 2.5mil next season and at 30 he won’t get a huge raise. I’d be fine throwing him a mid term contract because his play and metrics haven’t been sporadic. Good or bad team they’ve been similar. I’m for that. He’s good for many systems.

His prior coaches in Gerard Gallant, Lindy Ruff, and Daryl Sutter prioritized quick transition although Lindy Ruff isn’t really a defensive minded coach. That partially explains the inflated numbers, but he’s good in transition. He’s also good at suffocating at the blue line and in front of the crease. Idk much about zone coverage, however, he’d be really, really good on our bottom pair that you give matchups with. He’d pair really well with York.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebels57

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
There's nothing in the world that I'm more sure of than the fact that people are going to credit Fletcher/AV with the teams "improvement" next season, when the only improvement is the goaltending regressing to the mean.

Reactions: FLYERSFAN18

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So you think he should play on our top pair?

What top pair?

Flyers TOI will be Provorov/Sanheim > Myers > probable addition > York/Ghost > Braun/Hagg
The idea that you have 3 static pairs simply ignores how teams use D-men, rarely do four guys play 20+ minutes, usually there are 2-3 guys with big minutes.
Minutes tend to be more even at ES, but even then the 3rd pair guys play a few less minutes, the top guys get additional minutes on the PP/PK.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I’m still saying bring in Brayden McNabb. He’s cheap, a decent puck move, good at defense, provides the snarl the coaches salivate over, and has a small contract.
McNabb would be an upgrade, but not the type of big upgrade they’re looking for, & I don’t know why Vegas would trade him. He’s a low cap hit & Vegas is trying to contend every year so why would they weaken their D?

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
McNabb would be an upgrade, but not the type of big upgrade they’re looking for, & I don’t know why Vegas would trade him. He’s a low cap hit & Vegas is trying to contend every year so why would they weaken their D?
It depends what you’re looking for. Zach Whitecloud is definitely the better player who is quickly taking over McNabb’s role. They’re also both very similar. Whitecloud’s TOI is increasing and McNabb’s is decreasing. He’s likely the 5/6 and they may want more cap flexibility for their B6. It would be a futures trade and it likely won’t be expensive. Peitrangelo, Theodore, Whitecloud, McNabb, Martinez, Hague is their D rank. Plus, Martinez is utilized as their #3. It’s the same argument that people pose here- they have a lot of the same defenseman. He’s not the best of their group, so that makes him expendable. He’s still good and that’s leverage. If we really want to dish out assets I’d go after Whitecloud, but he’s likely an untouchable.

I suspect it would cost less than Braun to acquire, but I’d be willing to trade a pick and prospect. Something like a 3rd + Ratcliffe. VGK loves big bodies and would likely eat that up and I think that’s fair value. If they want NHL talent then that’s where the trade dies.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
It depends what you’re looking for. Zach Whitecloud is definitely the better player who is quickly taking over McNabb’s role. They’re also both very similar. Whitecloud’s TOI is increasing and McNabb’s is decreasing. He’s likely the 5/6 and they may want more cap flexibility for their B6. It would be a futures trade and it likely won’t be expensive. Peitrangelo, Theodore, Whitecloud, McNabb, Martinez, Hague is their D rank. Plus, Martinez is utilized as their #3. It’s the same argument that people pose here- they have a lot of the same defenseman. He’s not the best of their group, so that makes him expendable. He’s still good and that’s leverage. If we really want to dish out assets I’d go after Whitecloud, but he’s likely an untouchable.

I suspect it would cost less than Braun to acquire, but I’d be willing to trade a pick and prospect. Something like a 3rd + Ratcliffe. VGK loves big bodies and would likely eat that up and I think that’s fair value. If they want NHL talent then that’s where the trade dies.
Martinez is a UFA and a better player, so it makes more sense for the Flyers to go after him.

This defense needs bigger upgrades than McNabb. And they aren't going to trade Braun for him, because Braun is a RH shot.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
It's amazing Columbus was able to upset Tampa Bay in the first round a couple playoffs ago with that awful Seth Jones logging so many minutes against such an offensive powerhouse...:rolleyes:

Reactions: LorneMalvo

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Martinez is a UFA and a better player, so it makes more sense for the Flyers to go after him.

This defense needs bigger upgrades than McNabb. And they aren't going to trade Braun for him, because Braun is a RH shot.
Martinez is aging and quite frankly a worse player than McNabb. Martinez has hockey pedigree and a better reputation I suppose, but he isn’t the better defenseman who will likely cost more.

I never said we are trading Braun for him. I specifically said a 3rd and Ratcliffe. Vegas loves big bodies and they’d definitely give Ratcliffe a shot before he gets one here. Ratcliffe fits their brand of hockey although he needs more work.

Braun cost a 2nd and 3rd right? I meant it would cost less than that

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Martinez is aging and quite frankly a worse player than McNabb. Martinez has hockey pedigree and a better reputation I suppose, but he isn’t the better defenseman who will likely cost more.

I never said we are trading Braun for him. I specifically said a 3rd and Ratcliffe. Vegas loves big bodies and they’d definitely give Ratcliffe a shot before he gets one here. Ratcliffe fits their brand of hockey although he needs more work.

Braun cost a 2nd and 3rd right? I meant it would cost less than that

No way is McNabb better than Martinez.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
No way is McNabb better than Martinez.
In a vacuum Martinez may offer more, but McNabb is better suited for our defense. Plus, McNabb is a pretty consistent player analytically and by eye test. Martinez is not. I’m not designating him a high risk, high reward type player, but he has those tendencies and when this team lacks consistency, McNabb likely won’t be one. Cant say the same for Martinez. Plus, we need cap space, not less. Martinez won’t help with that. I’d rather have McNabb. I feel like most who have done research on the 2 would agree given everything associated.

Reactions: flyerslducks

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Anyway, I think it's a moot point, because I just don't see Vegas trading McNabb. It looks like they're going to lose their #3 defenseman in Martinez, and I don't see them trading away a solid cheap blueliner on top of that (who also happens to be an alternate captain).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad