2021 Roster Thread XIV - Off-season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Still trying to find that elite d man to elevate our top 4 guy to a true top pairing guy, eh? Cool.
No...just dealing with reality. Provy is not going anywhere. Ghost is not going to be on the top pairing. Myers and Braun certainly are not good enough.

So just asking who could be out there that is under the radar that could be a target we have not talked about.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
To play where though?

He is a 3rd pairing guy....and he have Braun for that spot....Myers for the 2nd pairing.

Adding a 3rd pairing Dman is just a waste of cap space

No, he's not.
Played 21:38 as the 4th D-man on their SC run a year ago.
Played 20:29 as the 4th D-man this season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The only forward we might add would be a bottom six with speed and an edge, but where's the room?
G, Couts, TK, Farabee, Hayes, Allison, Frost, Lindblom
that's before Voracek, JVR, Patrick, Laughton.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
No...just dealing with reality. Provy is not going anywhere. Ghost is not going to be on the top pairing. Myers and Braun certainly are not good enough.

So just asking who could be out there that is under the radar that could be a target we have not talked about.

Gonna have to see what the trade market looks like, because outside of Hamilton there isn’t really much on the free agent that likely could elevate Provorov.

Savard is pretty much a younger, maybe a bit better version of Braun. He’s good at suppressing chances in close to the net but he pretty much doesn’t have the puck most of the time when he’s out there.

Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Gonna have to see what the trade market looks like, because outside of Hamilton there isn’t really much on the free agent that likely could elevate Provorov.

Savard is pretty much a younger, maybe a bit better version of Braun. He’s good at suppressing chances in close to the net but he pretty much doesn’t have the puck most of the time when he’s out there.
I was going to tag you to ask you as well....any under the radar guys that you "would" target?

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
We know how people feel about Jones, Savard, Hamilton....who would you try and get @Magua? Is there a handful of guys that would be "good gets" that are possibly overlooked? Like we talked about Weegar last year. Toews has been a great get for the AVS. Who would be some guys you would target?

You're assuredly not finding the next Weegar (well, he didn't even switch teams) or Toews at their trade/contract value. I think if they want a better version of Braun -- because two words: poor defensively -- if let's say they moved him (hah!) or lost him in expansion, Dylan DeMelo is good and not too expensive and probably a good fit for someone like Sanheim. And he's been weirdly underutilized on Winnipeg as a 5/6. You're not getting offense, but you are getting defense and play-driving.

You could bet on a Manson rebuild -- he did have an oblique injury and wasn't bad away from Drysdale, who clearly was in over his head. That's obviously right in line with the narrow type of player Chuckles is interested in......and the gambling.

Jake McCabe could be a sneaky good reasonable UFA. But he's a lefty. The right handed UFA market is dog shit. Hamilton isn't happening -- lucky for him. Then it's Savard and a bunch of meh. Guys like Weegar and Toews joined teams with Ekblad, Makar, Girard. Also, they're f***ing studs in their own right. The fact is the Flyers don't have anyone of that caliber; won't acquire anyone of that caliber. The above are just depth band-aids. I don't really want to spend quality assets for band-aids. But they will. And it won't move the needle #team rebuild.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I was going to tag you to ask you as well....any under the radar guys that you "would" target?

I’m not sure if there’s guys on Toews or Weegar’s level this offseason as of now.

Vince Dunn & Josh Manson were names out there during the deadline. Dunn pretty much kills it in a bottom pairing role. He probably could be good still in a middle pairing role but top might be stretching it. I’m not even sure Fletcher would even be interested anyway as offense is more his bread & butter.

Manson’s been pretty bad by the analytics in recent years after being an analytic darling. I guess the question is how much of it is the environment or him?

Reactions: Tripod

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Just because our front office and coaching staff make terrible decisions doesn't mean we can't call them terrible decisions.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You're assuredly not finding the next Weegar (well, he didn't even switch teams) or Toews at their trade/contract value. I think if they want a better version of Braun -- because two words: poor defensively -- if let's say they moved him (hah!) or lost him in expansion, Dylan DeMelo is good and not too expensive and probably a good fit for someone like Sanheim. And he's been weirdly underutilized on Winnipeg as a 5/6. You're not getting offense, but you are getting defense and play-driving.

You could bet on a Manson rebuild -- he did have an oblique injury and wasn't bad away from Drysdale, who clearly was in over his head. That's obviously right in line with the narrow type of player Chuckles is interested in......and the gambling.

Jake McCabe could be a sneaky good reasonable UFA. But he's a lefty. The right handed UFA market is dog shit. Hamilton isn't happening -- lucky for him. Then it's Savard and a bunch of meh. Guys like Weegar and Toews joined teams with Ekblad, Makar, Girard. Also, they're f***ing studs in their own right. The fact is the Flyers don't have anyone of that caliber; won't acquire anyone of that caliber. The above are just depth band-aids. I don't really want to spend quality assets for band-aids. But they will. And it won't move the needle #team rebuild.
Yeah and there is the rub. We have Myers and Braun as the depth guys for the RHD...but no one to play a bigger role. Just wasn't sure if there were any guys not talked about that would be worth discussing.

So really, it's Hamilton or 3rd pairing guys.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Yeah and there is the rub. We have Myers and Braun as the depth guys for the RHD...but no one to play a bigger role. Just wasn't sure if there were any guys not talked about that would be worth discussing.

So really, it's Hamilton or 3rd pairing guys.

They'll acquire an overpaid 4/5 guy who is known for his defense -- even if reality differs -- and can't move a puck and call it a day. Every other word is "fit" and "defense." Even if he's not a poor player, they'll play him on the top pair with the top forwards. And they'll do it with Braun still on the roster; Ghost retained for a 4th; Provy seeing over-the-top usage; yada, yada. At least there's a great scenic view from this ledge.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Just because our front office and coaching staff make terrible decisions doesn't mean we can't call them terrible decisions.
oh I agree.

I was just looking for realistic options on who could be out there who could help us since we know AV is going to be the coach, Hayes will still be here, Provy won't get pushed to the 3rd pairing in favor of Ghost, etc...

Reactions: BernieParent

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
oh I agree.

I was just looking for realistic options on who could be out there who could help us since we know AV is going to be the coach, Hayes will still be here, Provy won't get pushed to the 3rd pairing in favor of Ghost, etc...

Gotcha. Admittedly, I didn't even see your post. Was just making a general comment about where the conversation was going.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Josh Manson is my guy.

He's still young enough and when healthy and with a better squad I think he can definitely bounce back.

Modest cap hit and I cant imagine the price tag is astronomical either.

I can actually see 2 dmen brought in. One via trade, one via UFA.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I think I've just moved on from how to make this roster better -- which certainly a few of these guys can! -- to how can we make this roster a contender. Which I don't think they can, despite the foreseeable effort.

Provorov-Manson/Savard
Sanheim-Braun
York-Myers

It just doesn't do it for me, not with the same inside the box usage. If that guy at 1RD isn't in contention for best puck mover on the team, it's DOA. There are guys like Ellis, who is a needle mover, but that would require a haul, if the Preds even want to move him. And you're removing all maneuverability. And he's smol.

Reactions: Rebels57

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Josh Manson is my guy.

He's still young enough and when healthy and with a better squad I think he can definitely bounce back.

Modest cap hit and I cant imagine the price tag is astronomical either.

I can actually see 2 dmen brought in. One via trade, one via UFA.
so what Dmen do you see going out since there are not enough spots in the top 6

I assume Ghost....and then York not starting in the NHL?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
so what Dmen do you see going out since there are not enough spots in the top 6

I assume Ghost....and then York not starting in the NHL?

Ghost Seattle or traded

Forgot about York lol

Ideally by midseason Zamula is up too.

Provorov - Manson
Sanheim - York
Zamula - Braun

Morin, Hagg

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
These people deserve this team. :laugh:

oDzk0qb.png

ExMpkQN.png

qV5QsgA.png

qW1wUje.png

*The Athletic

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Umm....Myers is missing.

Morin is a UFA too. Not sure he gets re-signed.

D'oh. I'm tired.

Provorov - Manson
Sanheim - Myers
York - Braun

Zamula, Morin, Hagg

I do think they'll give Morin another 1 year deal.

If they trade Hagg I would actually forgive them for bringing back AV...but that wont happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad