2021 Roster Thread XIV - Off-season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I’ve been so focused on what reliable defensemen Chuckles will go after that I’ve neglected what depth forwards are in play to really finish off the roster.

Bonino, Sutter, Bozak, Foligno, Cogliano. If enough cap is shed with a top 6 scorer, the sky is the limit.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If we're really thinking about a rebuild then there's no sense in keeping Giroux. By the time this team will be contending again after another rebuild, he'll be well past his prime. And we should be thinking about trading Couturier as well because he's 28 now and his value is at an all time high.

Yes, this is not new information for anyone. It's entirely possible this is the path they should take, and when they don't take it it may be seen as an error in hindsight.

Reactions: BiggE

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Yes, this is not new information for anyone. It's entirely possible this is the path they should take, and when they don't take it it may be seen as an error in hindsight.
We'll see. I don't think we're at that point yet. Major changes doesn't necessarily have to mean rebuild. This isn't a bad team on paper. There are just pieces missing.

Reactions: tucson83

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
We'll see. I don't think we're at that point yet. Major changes doesn't necessarily have to mean rebuild. This isn't a bad team on paper. There are just pieces missing.
It’s not a good team on paper either, so-so at best. They are weak at center and have question marks on D, and Hart, while I think he bounces back, is far from a sure thing.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

As they waste time with these coaches and management, we just waste their value as well as their careers and prolong the badness for nothing.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I doubt that. There's enough people here who will shit on any trade Fletcher makes. You forgot the reactions when we traded Gudas for Niskanen? There probably still people here who think we lost that trade...

I do remember that - but that's because at the time, it didn't seem to be a good trade. I believe even Appleyard (whom I regard the most high) broke out the advanced stats and Gudas/Niskanen weren't terribly far off in recent output...plus Niskanen 1) Made more AAV 2) Had additional year to deal 3) Significantly older.

Now, it worked out that Niskanen was better than Gudas, but at the time...it was fair to not love the trade. Same with the Braun trade.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm still trying to figure out how people end up white knighting for Fletcher in 2021.

They're not even getting paid to be shameless embarrassments, like Meltzer and O'Connor.

Reactions: FLYERSFAN18

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
GB, no doubt that aside from Farabee, the young guys did regress. None the less, they are the future of this club. However, for whatever reason, the vets didn’t do a good job of leading the club to wins. Some of this was due to illness; some to injuries; some to failings by the FO and some to AV&Co not adjusting to the weaknesses in the roster that were exposed by the above.
Whatever, changes need to be made. From some of his reactions that were reported in the media, Jake didn’t seem to be in line what the coaching staff was spinning. Obviously Ghost was not on AV’s page since he went through the waiver scenario. That looks like a hint that some of the vets aren’t into AV’s program. It’s an interesting situation since AV usually gives deference to veterans.
Still, whatever is going on, the locker room needs to be united and committed to the same thing. If that isn’t fixed over the summer, this fall is going to be a fiasco. It could be that adding a RHD for Provorov and a quality backup for Hart solves the problems. I doubt if that is enough.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I'm still trying to figure out how people end up white knighting for Fletcher in 2021.

They're not even getting paid to be shameless embarrassments, like Meltzer and O'Connor.
O’Conner and The Athletic did a poll on Wednesday as to what it’s readers saw as the problems for last year and what they wanted to see done in the off season. It did not mirror what a lot of posters here view as the Flyers situation. We’ll have to see who has the right POV.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I do remember that - but that's because at the time, it didn't seem to be a good trade. I believe even Appleyard (whom I regard the most high) broke out the advanced stats and Gudas/Niskanen weren't terribly far off in recent output...plus Niskanen 1) Made more AAV 2) Had additional year to deal 3) Significantly older.

Now, it worked out that Niskanen was better than Gudas, but at the time...it was fair to not love the trade. Same with the Braun trade.
And then there were others who felt that a 32 year old Dman isn't old, wasn't "done", and that having the extra year was a good thing because it bridged us to the ED.

So...we know they want a RHD. We know the coaches are not going anywhere. Who is out there that people WOULD be fine with acquiring? We know how people feel about Jones, Savard, Hamilton....who would you try and get @Magua? Is there a handful of guys that would be "good gets" that are possibly overlooked? Like we talked about Weegar last year. Toews has been a great get for the AVS. Who would be some guys you would target?

Reactions: BernieParent

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
O’Conner and The Athletic did a poll on Wednesday as to what it’s readers saw as the problems for last year and what they wanted to see done in the off season. It did not mirror what a lot of posters here view as the Flyers situation. We’ll have to see who has the right POV.
what were the results, if I may ask

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually, at the right price, Oleksiak would be a solid addition, he's really raised his game in Dallas, he'd give you the physical presence that Morin provides but can actually play defense, and he has a lot of experience as a LHD playing RD. I wouldn't break the bank for him, but with York, Sanheim and Zamula, he'd provide balance.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
And then there were others who felt that a 32 year old Dman isn't old, wasn't "done", and that having the extra year was a good thing because it bridged us to the ED.

So...we know they want a RHD. We know the coaches are not going anywhere. Who is out there that people WOULD be fine with acquiring? We know how people feel about Jones, Savard, Hamilton....who would you try and get @Magua? Is there a handful of guys that would be "good gets" that are possibly overlooked? Like we talked about Weegar last year. Toews has been a great get for the AVS. Who would be some guys you would target?

My recollection is that there were significantly less of those positive reviews than negative, but I was more negative about it so I could be skewed.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
GB, no doubt that aside from Farabee, the young guys did regress. None the less, they are the future of this club. However, for whatever reason, the vets didn’t do a good job of leading the club to wins. Some of this was due to illness; some to injuries; some to failings by the FO and some to AV&Co not adjusting to the weaknesses in the roster that were exposed by the above.
Whatever, changes need to be made. From some of his reactions that were reported in the media, Jake didn’t seem to be in line what the coaching staff was spinning. Obviously Ghost was not on AV’s page since he went through the waiver scenario. That looks like a hint that some of the vets aren’t into AV’s program. It’s an interesting situation since AV usually gives deference to veterans.
Still, whatever is going on, the locker room needs to be united and committed to the same thing. If that isn’t fixed over the summer, this fall is going to be a fiasco. It could be that adding a RHD for Provorov and a quality backup for Hart solves the problems. I doubt if that is enough.

We need to stop trying to make Provorov good through trades and signings. If that's what it takes, then we have a problem.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I’ve been so focused on what reliable defensemen Chuckles will go after that I’ve neglected what depth forwards are in play to really finish off the roster.

Bonino, Sutter, Bozak, Foligno, Cogliano. If enough cap is shed with a top 6 scorer, the sky is the limit.

This is literally Fletchers wish list. Next year is over before it begins.

Reactions: BiggE and Magua

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Actually, at the right price, Oleksiak would be a solid addition, he's really raised his game in Dallas, he'd give you the physical presence that Morin provides but can actually play defense, and he has a lot of experience as a LHD playing RD. I wouldn't break the bank for him, but with York, Sanheim and Zamula, he'd provide balance.
To play where though?

He is a 3rd pairing guy....and he have Braun for that spot....Myers for the 2nd pairing.

Adding a 3rd pairing Dman is just a waste of cap space

Reactions: BiggE

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
It’s not Braun’s fault he was misused this year. He was getting more minutes then he should of. He was good at times but he wasn’t put in positions to succeed much this year. He wasn’t alone in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad