2021 Roster Thread XIII (Off-season edition): Not for triskaidekaphobia but we have arrived

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
the crazy part is that people like Charlie and bill think we live in fantasy land where we can essentially dump (and overpay) a point producer on our team to make way for top talent. Lmao

fletcher will use that money for players like savard and palmier smfh
Also I have a hard time seeing flames being that dumb and actually trading either of them. However with Lindholm and Backlund they certainly can afford to lose Monahan.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
All of our players would absolutely thrive on good teams. Just imagine giroux, ghost, provorov, and tk on any of these playoff teams!!! They would absolutely kill it
(I don’t want that...just emphasizing how shit our system in place is thanks to av)
Just imagine Braydon Point on flyers being told to chase up the pucks in NZ and play on right side of 2nd PP unit lol. While getting 5 minutes a game less than Hayes if not being straight up shackled to him at wing being coached to muck it up in corners going for that low to high shot by our most leathal weapon Brauny.

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
I like Hronek a lot, but I'm not even sure I'd trade NP straight up for him, despite Patrick's unimpressive start to his career.

There's absolutely no way I'd trade a 1st for Hronek, let alone a 1st AND Patrick.

Ludicrous trade valuation.
I agree with that as well, like I said I read the article and just had to see what everyone else had to say, personally I stared at my phone with utter disrespect, however I'm on the train the patrick has to go at this point

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
I hope your are only talking about defensive zone play?
Complete different type of hockey players. Brayden Coburn was a blackhole in the O zone.

And so is Myers. Yeah, he has a nice shot, but it takes him forever to use it. Not exactly creative with the puck, and whatever roaming/cycling he did in juniors and the AHL has been thoroughly beaten out of him.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
My favorite guilty pleasure and look inside the Flyers process.

So apparently we need “shooting mentality”, “grit and size”, and defense. In other words, exactly what the bang-on-glass cavemen want. He really panders to his masters and audience, huh?

He also continues to push the lazy myth that this team won’t shoot, which is another common caveman theme.

Meanwhile, in reality, they were 9th in the entire league in shot attempts per 60 this past year. :laugh:

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Comparing peak/prime year players with kids in their first/2nd NHL season. Excellent analysis, and there's absolutely no agenda there whatsoever.

I'm assuming you're referring to me? If so, then no, there is 0 agenda. I would love for Myers to win the next 15 Norris and make me look stupid.

If Myers is able to be a Coburn level player (complimentary top 4 D) then that is a win. He did it last year and struggled mightily this year.

Reactions: Starat327

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
What would help Myers, and any young dman is having a system that doesn’t teach them to immediately look for Hail Mary passes or right away looking to play it up along the boards avoiding any area of open ice.

Myers is a good skater and could actually do something to help these guys in transition. They aren’t helping him running this kind of scheme.

It’s dogshit hockey.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Remind me how many hits Ghost had again this season?
Remind me of how many hits Myers had this season? Ghost may have had more. That said Myers' value is probably greater than Ghost's and if unprotected, he'd be grabbed. If placed on waivers, he'd be grabbed. Myers' contract and perceived upside makes him more valuable around the league than Ghost. But man did he play soft this year. He needs to be more physically aggressive/involved next year.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
What would help Myers, and any young dman is having a system that doesn’t teach them to immediately look for Hail Mary passes or right away looking to play it up along the boards avoiding any area of open ice.

Myers is a good skater and could actually do something to help these guys in transition. They aren’t helping him running this kind of scheme.

It’s dogshit hockey.
What other defenseman consistently blindly flings the puck up the boards like Myers does? Not Provorov. Not Ghost. Not Sanhero. Not Braun, even. Hell, not even Hagg.

It’s not the system. It’s Myers. He has no vision, no puck poise, no finesse. So he panic flings under pressure.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Trade idea: Travis Konecny for Dylan Larkin.

Not sure Detroit would trade their captain, but he had a down season. The Flyers have good RW depth, they could use the exchange for a LW. Larkin would add needed team speed and is a smarter, better two-way player. Similar salaries. Basically the same age.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Remind me of how many hits Myers had this season? Ghost may have had more. That said Myers' value is probably greater than Ghost's and if unprotected, he'd be grabbed. If placed on waivers, he'd be grabbed. Myers' contract and perceived upside makes him more valuable around the league than Ghost. But man did he play soft this year. He needs to be more physically aggressive/involved next year.
Myers had a rib injury early in the season. Then later on he messed up his wrist. Injuries such as these curtail the ability to play physical hockey. Add on to that the system, or lack there of, that the Flyers used on defense and Myers as well as all of the other defensemen had their weaknesses exposed. He's more of the player that we saw in the previous season than he was this last one.

Reactions: IronMarshal

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Trade idea: Travis Konecny for Dylan Larkin.

Not sure Detroit would trade their captain, but he had a down season. The Flyers have good RW depth, they could use the exchange for a LW. Larkin would add needed team speed and is a smarter, better two-way player. Similar salaries. Basically the same age.

Can't see Detroit entertaining that but IDK

Reactions: flyerslducks

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
What other defenseman consistently blindly flings the puck up the boards like Myers does? Not Provorov. Not Ghost. Not Sanhero. Not Braun, even. Hell, not even Hagg.

It’s not the system. It’s Myers. He has no vision, no puck poise, no finesse. So he panic flings under pressure.

Nothing personal, but I’d say we watched two different teams man. Flinging the puck up along the boards every damn time or Hail Mary passes is most of what I saw with this teams breakout strategy.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Nothing personal, but I’d say we watched two different teams man. Flinging the puck up along the boards every damn time or Hail Mary passes is most of what I saw with this teams breakout strategy.
Not saying the others never do it, but no one comes close to doing it as often as Myers.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Ghost was the best at that breakout. Sanheim was in second. As passing ability fades as you go through the rest of the roster you get into the guys who just randomly bombed the puck out of the zone to great failure. They were all trying to send pucks long, it's just that guys like Provorov, Myers, Hagg, and Braun aren't good at that with the latter three being the worst by far. So their way of doing it was far less controlled.

Reactions: Striiker

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Can't see Detroit entertaining that but IDK
i agree, they would want more but if they don't I'm all over that. gimme larkin. I would actually love bertuzzi on this team. He brings something that our roster can use but we are stacked on wings.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I'm assuming you're referring to me? If so, then no, there is 0 agenda. I would love for Myers to win the next 15 Norris and make me look stupid.

If Myers is able to be a Coburn level player (complimentary top 4 D) then that is a win. He did it last year and struggled mightily this year.

Nope, was responding to someone else's post i was unfortunate enough to see describing how Myers isn't anywhere close to what Coburn was, which completely ignored that one is still learning how to play the game at this level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad