2021 Roster Thread XIII (Off-season edition): Not for triskaidekaphobia but we have arrived

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Would love to swing a Myers + for Parayko or Klingberg deal this summer.
Klingberg is a good target. He is Ghost level salary wise next year, and his UFA status the following year could cause Dallas to to move him for a package.

Of course the Flyers would then have to sign him, which may be a problem if he doesn't want to be here.

Also, Dallas may feel they are still in the window and want to keep him if they feel he will help them get to the finals so he wont be easy. But he is a good partner for Provorov on the top pair and can replace Ghost on PP1, especially if Ghost goes in expansion, or to make cap space for a player like Klingberg.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
i agree, they would want more but if they don't I'm all over that. gimme larkin. I would actually love bertuzzi on this team. He brings something that our roster can use but we are stacked on wings.
Give them Konecny and Myers for Larkin and a pick. Yzerman traded for Coburn. He likes big mobile defensemen.

Then trade for a veteran D who a team plans to leave exposed, like Giordano.

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
What would help Myers, and any young dman is having a system that doesn’t teach them to immediately look for Hail Mary passes or right away looking to play it up along the boards avoiding any area of open ice.

Myers is a good skater and could actually do something to help these guys in transition. They aren’t helping him running this kind of scheme.

It’s dogshit hockey.
After watching some playoff teams so far, this really gets hammered home. I'm seeing five skaters all moving out and up ice together like a super quick amoeba. They hold on to the puck, they create and find space, passing lanes, etc.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Tbf, with his size Myers should be good at defending zone entries. I still would like him to use his size more. It's his biggest advantage. Why not use it?

Reactions: IronMarshal

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
With Myers, the NHL sample size is still quite small.

With team wide regression, especially with the youngsters and reports of player displeasure with the coaches - I’d still hang on.

Trading him is fine, if it’s for Eichel or a true upgrade but I’d disagree moving Myers for more overpaid mediocre slop.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Hmmm. Sperm certainly move with drive and purpose, so there's merit to his example.

Flyers' system:

iu

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
After watching some playoff teams so far, this really gets hammered home. I'm seeing five skaters all moving out and up ice together like a super quick amoeba. They hold on to the puck, they create and find space, passing lanes, etc.

That doesn't sound like winning hockey. Do these guy even know how to hockey? You have to get pucks deep. Crash and bang and all. Any former try-hard 4th liner or 7/8 defenseman turned assistant coach could tell you that.

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
That doesn't sound like winning hockey. Do these guy even know how to hockey? You have to get pucks deep. Crash and bang and all. Any former try-hard 4th liner or 7/8 defenseman turned assistant coach could tell you that.
Jim Jackson will tell you the same. He watches LOTS of hockey

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
What would help Myers, and any young dman is having a system that doesn’t teach them to immediately look for Hail Mary passes or right away looking to play it up along the boards avoiding any area of open ice.

Myers is a good skater and could actually do something to help these guys in transition. They aren’t helping him running this kind of scheme.

It’s dogshit hockey.

I am scared for York.

Myers will be fine. It was obvious he had a lingering injury.

Reactions: IronMarshal

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The “Myers isn’t physical” narrative is so weird to me. It’s not something that was ever brought up before our wise leader, Vigneault, mentioned it at some point this season AFTER Phil’s rib injury. He was a physical force last season and showed no lack of aggression eating up puck carriers or patrolling the net front. He was definitely a little hesitant for a chunk of the season, likely do to injury and general confidence, but this is a narrative with pretty much no backstory before it was written in the Gospel of Alain and then regurgitated here. I’ve never even heard it said before.

Plenty in Myers’ puck game, shot selection, hockey sense to criticize. But the physicality part is f***ing goofy.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I never heard AV say it. It was just obvious. He wasn’t physical. He didn’t engage with players in the crease. He didn’t hit anyone on the boards.

I’m seeing once again fans’ over-attachment & overrating of this team’s young players. How many calls have fans made for Fletcher to make changes? Tons. Yet suggest they trade Myers, & suddenly the excuses start rolling out & fans balk at the idea. Do you want substantial changes or not? Because trading Hagg or Braun or 4th liners isn’t going to do a damn thing to change the makeup of this team that was massively disappointing.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I never heard AV say it. It was just obvious. He wasn’t physical. He didn’t engage with players in the crease. He didn’t hit anyone on the boards.

I’m seeing once again fans’ over-attachment & overrating of this team’s young players. How many calls have fans made for Fletcher to make changes? Tons. Yet suggest they trade Myers, & suddenly the excuses start rolling out & fans balk at the idea. Do you want substantial changes or not? Because trading Hagg or Braun or 4th liners isn’t going to do a damn thing to change the makeup of this team that was massively disappointing.

So let's ignore 2019-2020 when he was physical? That's the point of the post.

Also, the person you're responding to has already said they'd be open to trading Myers if the deal made sense.

Reactions: BernieParent

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
To be fair, this year Phil was a shadow of his old physical self. In the past, he did hit and get involved. This year hardly at all. I suggested a month or so ago that he must be protecting an injury, and that I wouldn't be surprised if he was one of those post season surgery candidates. thought he had a shoulder issue based on the game where he was dumped on it and left the game for a period or so.
Hopefully, next year he gets physically involved and gets his head straight too. So much potential, so much to love about the player.

Reactions: BernieParent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad