2021 Roster Thread XIII (Off-season edition): Not for triskaidekaphobia but we have arrived

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Over attachment isn’t really the case here.

I advocate, believe I have even a while ago for nuking this thing to high heaven.

That still means maximizing on assets, whether through trade or retention if they are young enough. Especially the youngsters who very likely may improve under more competent coaching.

Youngsters who still might able to be around and contributing after this team eventually finds the gall to do what needs to be done.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
So let's ignore 2019-2020 when he was physical? That's the point of the post.

Also, the person you're responding to has already said they'd be open to trading Myers if the deal made sense.
The first point I was making was in response to a point that was made about the current season, which implied that fans were simply parroting an allegedly erroneous AV talking point.

The second point I made was to no one in particular. It was a general observation that a number of posts in this thread are making excuses for Myers and balking at the notion of trading him.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Over attachment isn’t really the case here.

I advocate, believe I have even a while ago for nuking this thing to high heaven.

That still means maximizing on assets, whether through trade or retention if they are young enough. Especially the youngsters who very likely may improve under more competent coaching.

Youngsters who still might able to be around and contributing after this team eventually finds the gall to do what needs to be done.
No one on this team should be untouchable. It’s not like we are talking about guys like Clarke, Mark Howe or Lindros.

While there are guys I’d prefer not to move, I’d still listen to any offer.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I'm going to laugh when there's an uproar this summer about a couple young players getting traded when for months there's been nothing but bitching about Fletcher not making any moves.

Reactions: tucson83

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm going to laugh when there's an uproar this summer about a couple young players getting traded when for months there's been nothing but bitching about Fletcher not making any moves.

Depends on the returns. Moves for the sake of moves aren't automatically good.

If he gets demolished in any trades, why shouldn't there be uproar?

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014

My position is that fans are attached to the Flyers’ young players; are biased against Chuck; and that any move he makes that involves trading any of these young players will automatically be interpreted negatively by many on this board.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
No one on this team should be untouchable. It’s not like we are talking about guys like Clarke, Mark Howe or Lindros.

While there are guys I’d prefer not to move, I’d still listen to any offer.

Couturier is the exception unless you're going to rebuild/retool. If you take him off of this team, forget contending -- I'm not sure you can make the playoffs no matter what realistic path you choose. Sure, if you can trade him for Auston Matthews, you do it. But you can't.

Now if you want to burn it down, then it almost becomes mandatory to move him this summer. I really don't see grey area with him. You cannot just let him walk.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
There’s been a lot of chatter about the Flyers needing to change “the core; need for a new attitude in the locker room; etc. That should mean that some veterans are moving on. They’re “the core” and the ones that set the tone in the locker room. Young guys don’t come into the room and start throwing their weight around. Trading out the younger players would not fit the equation unless the return is fantastic or they want out and have already burned bridges with the FO.
I doubt if Couturier gets moved, the same with Giroux unless he wants out or won’t re-sign at a reasonable rate. Everyone else over the age of 25 could be eligible for a trade except for NMC Hayes.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
There’s been a lot of chatter about the Flyers needing to change “the core; need for a new attitude in the locker room; etc. That should mean that some veterans are moving on. They’re “the core” and the ones that set the tone in the locker room. Young guys don’t come into the room and start throwing their weight around. Trading out the younger players would not fit the equation unless the return is fantastic or they want out and have already burned bridges with the FO.
I doubt if Couturier gets moved, the same with Giroux unless he wants out or won’t re-sign at a reasonable rate. Everyone else over the age of 25 could be eligible for a trade except for NMC Hayes.
IMO the problem isn't the old core. They're aging and with their contracts they aren't going to be able to trade them for any improvements, anyway.

The problem is that the young core that was supposed to take over was a huge disappointment and appears to have been vastly overrated. They need to change the young core by adding some players who are actually capable of taking over the mantle.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013

I don't think Fletcher necessarily has to win a trade. If the value is about even and he gets the right players, that's more than enough for me. And if he has to slightly overpay to get the right player, I'll be fine with that too.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
My position is that fans are attached to the Flyers’ young players; are biased against Chuck; and that any move he makes that involves trading any of these young players will automatically be interpreted negatively by many on this board.

There's not reason to believe any of that.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't think Fletcher necessarily has to win a trade. If the value is about even and he gets the right players, that's more than enough for me. And if he has to slightly overpay to get the right player, I'll be fine with that too.

Overpaying a bit is fine when you're finishing your roster for a Cup run, it's a really bad idea for a rebuild or even just a build.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Couturier is the exception unless you're going to rebuild/retool. If you take him off of this team, forget contending -- I'm not sure you can make the playoffs no matter what realistic path you choose. Sure, if you can trade him for Auston Matthews, you do it. But you can't.

Now if you want to burn it down, then it almost becomes mandatory to move him this summer. I really don't see grey area with him. You cannot just let him walk.
They only make the playoffs half the time with Couturier on the roster, anyway. :sarcasm:

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
We were pretty obviously far away.

Niskanen is overrated.

Ignoring the roster, AV/Yeo/MT on their own move the team back miles, so until that's corrected nothing matters.
If we're really thinking about a rebuild then there's no sense in keeping Giroux. By the time this team will be contending again after another rebuild, he'll be well past his prime. And we should be thinking about trading Couturier as well because he's 28 now and his value is at an all time high.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Wait......... we weren't far away in 2020?

The team that barely squeaked by the Habs, played horrific shell hockey, and got destroyed in nearly every playoff game?

You can blame most of that on the coaching, and you'd be absolutely right to do so, but those coaches are still here so we're definitely no closer now than we were then.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

It's based on nothing, though. We haven't dumped any new players so we don't know how we'll react when a trade happens. If it's a good deal, I'm sure it'll be fine here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->