Celtics/NBA 2021 Playoffs - Celtics season is over

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
We can keep saying it's one fan, or small portion, or that was in our past and the city changed, but these situations continue to happen. I think its the wrong approach and makes us look bad when people say it's only one person or a small group. Obviously no one thinks it's the entire city, but this incident HURTS. Kyrie wrote a narrative before games 3 and 4 to shield himself from criticism. All it takes is for one idiot to prove another idiot right and someone took the bait hard last night and chuked a bottle at him. Now Kyrie gets to walk around and basically say "told ya so"

he gets to say I told you so egging on the crowd like hes in the WWE

Reactions: Maine Fan and CDJ

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
We can keep saying it's one fan, or small portion, or that was in our past and the city changed, but these situations continue to happen. I think its the wrong approach and makes us look bad when people say it's only one person or a small group. Obviously no one thinks it's the entire city, but this incident HURTS. Kyrie wrote a narrative before games 3 and 4 to shield himself from criticism. All it takes is for one idiot to prove another idiot right and someone took the bait hard last night and chuked a bottle at him. Now Kyrie gets to walk around and basically say "told ya so"

Grow up.

Yeah, Kyrie made a bet that one f***ing moron out of 17,000 would make him a winner. Kudos to him for his big wager. He can say or do whatever he wants. I'm mad at that fan too. But this "HURTS?" Again, kindly grow up.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Grow up.

Yeah, Kyrie made a bet that one f***ing moron out of 17,000 would make him a winner. Kudos to him for his big wager. He can say or do whatever he wants. I'm mad at that fan too. But this "HURTS?" Again, kindly grow up.

where did the Boston is racist narrative come from? I never understood it or believed it knowing people that are Bruins fans. I mean the dope that threw the bottle had a Kevin Garnett jersey on. Kyrie was looking for this, someone fell for it now I have to read every white person is a racist again for two weeks

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
where did the Boston is racist narrative come from? I never understood it or believed it knowing people that are Bruins fans. I mean the dope that threw the bottle had a Kevin Garnett jersey on. Kyrie was looking for this, someone fell for it now I have to read every white person is a racist again for two weeks
Boston has a very long history of racist behavior towards black players going back to when Bill Russell played here. It has come to light again after Torii Hunter came out and said he was called slurs at Fenway park and other players have corroborated this most recently Marcus Smart and Tristan Thompson.

The difference with the other players is that they never generalized an entire fan base or city.

Bottom line is that we need to acknowledge the past and continue to grow and have zero tolerance for that kind of behavior. If people hear this crap they need to report it instead of recording it and laughing about it.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

Boston does have a racist past, as do many major cities. Bussing in the 70s and 80s and fallout from that is what strengthened the narrative.

Black Athletes also had a tough time here for a long period of time but I don’t know how different that was from most major cities in that time.

the city and population has evolved since then but with gentrification socioeconomic disparity has certainly grown

Boston desegregation busing crisis - Wikipedia

Reactions: Alicat

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

I believe when it comes to the city and the Celtics it's three main things:

1) Bill Russell was victimized by some extremely racist harassment while playing for the Celtics. Truly reprehensible stuff.

2) Busing, when racist whites attacked Black Bostonians after courts ordered schools to be integrated. As ugly a chapter in the city as you'll find in the last 40 to 50 years, and a mark Boston still wears.

3) The idea that Red Auerbach wanted white players when putting together the Celtics in the '80s, as though he did something wrong in having Larry Bird and Kevin McHale on the same team, or drafting Danny Ainge when no one else would. The same Red Auerbach who made Bill Russell the league's first Black coach, and the same Red Auerbach was also the first coach to start five Black players at the same time in the NBA.

JJ Adande covered this years ago with a great column.

Adande: The truth isn't always black and white for Celtics

Boston has an ugly past. It still has many racists and racist systematic elements. It's exactly like every single city in America, including major urban centers. I do not think Boston is one of the most racist cities, but who cares where we "rank." We can't ignore these very real problems. And we shouldn't. It's why I never questioned what Kyrie said, just when and why he said it. Exactly the same as Jaylen Brown did.

Reactions: Kate08 and Alicat

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I mean, it didn't help the city for the last 20 years that Dennis & Callahan hosted a top-rated sports talk radio show every morning. You couldn't see their white robes through the airwaves, but you could definitely tell they had them on.

Reactions: Alicat and CDJ

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Bottle tosser looks like a young clown who just turned 21 and had his first beer. He now represents the City of Boston??

I’m not a fan of Kyrie & I hope Brooklyn crashes hard in the next round. What Kyrie did this past week is wrong.

Reactions: Maine Fan

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
CBC was showing old footage of the Bruins-Oilers Cup the other day and as the Oil were skating around with the Cup an Oiler takes a shoe from the crowd right to the face.

They barely batted an eyelash in those days

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Espn turned into a sportier equivalent of cnn or fox during the pandemic, them taking something like that out of context isn't surprising. As for the guy who threw the water bottle, he deserves to be banned from the Garden but if he gets any jail time it's just another example of how happy the justice system is to ruin peoples lives for even minor offenses. Some will say play stupid games, win stupid prizes but im sure even if he wasn't arrested the guy would regret throwing the bottle the next day.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I believe when it comes to the city and the Celtics it's three main things:

1) Bill Russell was victimized by some extremely racist harassment while playing for the Celtics. Truly reprehensible stuff.

2) Busing, when racist whites attacked Black Bostonians after courts ordered schools to be integrated. As ugly a chapter in the city as you'll find in the last 40 to 50 years, and a mark Boston still wears.

3) The idea that Red Auerbach wanted white players when putting together the Celtics in the '80s, as though he did something wrong in having Larry Bird and Kevin McHale on the same team, or drafting Danny Ainge when no one else would. The same Red Auerbach who made Bill Russell the league's first Black coach, and the same Red Auerbach was also the first coach to start five Black players at the same time in the NBA.

JJ Adande covered this years ago with a great column.

Adande: The truth isn't always black and white for Celtics

Boston has an ugly past. It still has many racists and racist systematic elements. It's exactly like every single city in America, including major urban centers. I do not think Boston is one of the most racist cities, but who cares where we "rank." We can't ignore these very real problems. And we shouldn't. It's why I never questioned what Kyrie said, just when and why he said it. Exactly the same as Jaylen Brown did.

To think for one second busing had no effect on the white kids (not saying you are) in the city that were bussed into black communities is equally racist.

I was in one of those busses and it wasn't just "white racist" attacking them. It was BOTH sides BOTH white people AND black people.

So easy for people to generalize and talk about things they know nothing of (again not say you are). Busing destroyed many academic dreams of white kids like me that went from thinking about grades to learning how to protect myself in school.

Sad chapter in life for many but I'm proud of my city and for how far we have come in dealing with racism on BOTH sides.

Reactions: EverettMike

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
To think for one second busing had no effect on the white kids (not saying you are) in the city that were bussed into black communities is equally racist.

I was in one of those busses and it wasn't just "white racist" attacking them. It was BOTH sides BOTH white people AND black people.

So easy for people to generalize and talk about things they know nothing of (again not say you are). Busing destroyed many academic dreams of white kids like me that went from thinking about grades to learning how to protect myself in school.

Sad chapter in life for many but I'm proud of my city and for how far we have come in dealing with racism on BOTH sides.

Thanks for sharing this. (I hope that didn't sound sarcastic, because it 100% is not. Mean that sincerely.)

Reactions: Alicat

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I’m dying.

Kyrie speaking in front of a full arena of fans and unprovoked says he’s resigning here. Kyrie makes a commercial playing 1 on 1 with his dad in the Garden on the parquet. Kyrie Irving not even showing up to a Game 7 vs LeBron to get a cosmetic surgery to feed his narcissism. Kyrie not playing in Boston with mysterious injuries after leaving and the one time he is at the Garden walks around spraying sage. But don’t boo him or you’re racist.

2021 everyone :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad