Speculation: 2021 Offseason Trade/Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
When you are as bad as we were offensively and have money to spend, yes you absolutely do NEED to spend money. Unless you want to pray all your prospects pan out for all of eternity and bank on that

And I’m sorry but if that is truly our bottom 6 next year, we are going to have the exact same problems we had the past 2 seasons. I mean it’s just terrible

The goal isn’t to have a collection of 4th liners in your bottom 6. It’s to have at least a couple guys that could realistically play top 9 somewhere playing there
spend money on who to help our offense? What, Matthias Janmark and his 1 goal in 15 games with Vegas? Would you give Granlund 5x5 for his 15ish goals a season? It's has nothing to do with expecting all our prospects to pan out, it's expecting our current young guys to actually develop offensively. Over paying someone reaching 30 years old looking for his last big pay day is absolutely the last thing we should be doing. Especially since we have to overpay to get FA to come here and being a retooling it's gonna be harder to convince someone to come here if they want a chance at the playoffs.
Overpaying guys to fill out the bottom 6 isn't a smart use of money when we're still retooling. I agree that bottom 6 isn't contention worthy, but last I checked we're not contending. Let's worry about getting production from the top 6 before focusing on getting depth scoring.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
No reason to avoid FA entirely (even though we know BM will as he always does) but I would avoid giving anyone a contract longer than 3 years, and I'd want to stick to 1 or 2 to anyone who isn't elite. Take an approach similar to Florida last year.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
spend money on who to help our offense? What, Matthias Janmark and his 1 goal in 15 games with Vegas? Would you give Granlund 5x5 for his 15ish goals a season? It's has nothing to do with expecting all our prospects to pan out, it's expecting our current young guys to actually develop offensively. Over paying someone reaching 30 years old looking for his last big pay day is absolutely the last thing we should be doing. Especially since we have to overpay to get FA to come here and being a retooling it's gonna be harder to convince someone to come here if they want a chance at the playoffs.
Overpaying guys to fill out the bottom 6 isn't a smart use of money when we're still retooling. I agree that bottom 6 isn't contention worthy, but last I checked we're not contending. Let's worry about getting production from the top 6 before focusing on getting depth scoring.
Completely disagree with your overall philosophy of getting better so let’s just leave it at that. Sure, getting top 6 pieces is always the number one priority but if you get a chance to improve depth wise you never pass it up just because. And Janmark out produced all the dudes you mentioned in our bottom 6 pretty handily over his last 3 seasons

Granlund getting 5X5 in this cap environment is lunacy, I absolutely don’t see that happening. I’m thinking 3X4 maybe

Reactions: DuckRogers10

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Completely disagree with your overall philosophy of getting better so let’s just leave it at that. Sure, getting top 6 pieces is always the number one priority but if you get a chance to improve depth wise you never pass it up just because. And Janmark out produced all the dudes you mentioned in our bottom 6 pretty handily over his last 3 seasons

Granlund getting 5X5 in this cap environment is lunacy, I absolutely don’t see that happening. I’m thinking 3X4 maybe
that's fine we can agree to disagree there. I'm not saying we absolutely shouldn't upgrade our bottom 6 right now, just that I don't see us upgrading it through FA without having to overpay both money and term for it.

Grandlund might get that from a contending team, I don't see him taking that contract if were to offer it.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't hate it if he can actually play center. He hasn't consistently his whole career with Buffalo who have had center depth issues. So that's a big question mark IMO.

From what was said above he excelled at C after Eichel went down and can drive a line it seems. But has also produced at wing.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I know faceoffs aren’t everything and that Reinhart had a nice spell of production in the middle but his FO% last year was 45% and over his career it’s not even 40%. I’m not convinced he’s a centre.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I know faceoffs aren’t everything and that Reinhart had a nice spell of production in the middle but his FO% last year was 45% and over his career it’s not even 40%. I’m not convinced he’s a centre.
I feel like faceoffs just steadily get better as guys get older (no data to back it up but that's what I see). If that is the case he is young so a low faceoff% should be expected and an improved should be projected. I wouldnt base much on fo% at this point.

Reactions: Getz2noone

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017

I tend to agree his skill set is more suited for wing, but Henrique’s faceoff win rate was around 48% for his career in New Jersey before he came up to 53% here. I don’t know how they teach it, but I think he could become a passable faceoff guy with us

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I tend to agree his skill set is more suited for wing, but Henrique’s faceoff win rate was around 48% for his career in New Jersey before he came up to 53% here. I don’t know how they teach it, but I think he could become a passable faceoff guy with us

Can whoever teach Lundy to improve to over 50% too, please?

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
No reason to avoid FA entirely (even though we know BM will as he always does) but I would avoid giving anyone a contract longer than 3 years, and I'd want to stick to 1 or 2 to anyone who isn't elite. Take an approach similar to Florida last year.

I want Comtois signed long term please. Numbers need to be worked out? But please don’t let Comtois walk. He’s the greatest thing since peanut butter to jelly. And Zegras is going to grow with him to stardom

Reactions: robbieboy3686
Oct 18, 2011
We should not be spending money on B and C players unless it's good value, save that money to chase true A players or use it to absorb cap dumps to build up the asset base. Maybe if we had done a better job at asset building we would be better positioned to trade for Eichel right now

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I want Comtois signed long term please. Numbers need to be worked out? But please don’t let Comtois walk. He’s the greatest thing since peanut butter to jelly. And Zegras is going to grow with him to stardom
He can't really walk. He's an RFA and I'm pretty sure Bob likes him a lot too. A player with size that likes to go to the front of the net and blast one-timers (shoot)? It checks 3 of the 4 main boxes for Bob, the last remaining being ''veteran leadership''.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We should not be spending money on B and C players unless it's good value, save that money to chase true A players or use it to absorb cap dumps to build up the asset base. Maybe if we had done a better job at asset building we would be better positioned to trade for Eichel right now

I was against the idea of a cap dump, but F it, they are not competing next season, would only take a one year, maybe two years left on the contract if there is a really good asset attached. Maybe get someone who can still be good, just needs a change of scenery, and can help the Top 6. We did great with the Backes trade, and if they can keep drafting well, and add to their prospect pool, will have the assets to make those big trades when they really need to. I would not look to sign a UFA till maybe the following summer.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
The good thing about a cap dump is that hopefully we get a first or another asset that can be part of another package for a star player. Right now the more trade assets we can acquire the better chance we have at landing a 1C in a trade.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
The good thing about a cap dump is that hopefully we get a first or another asset that can be part of another package for a star player. Right now the more trade assets we can acquire the better chance we have at landing a 1C in a trade.

I think this is a pipedream. #1 centers don't get traded very often and when they do it is either a huge return or a really really dumb move by the team trading them.
Here are #1/1b centers that have been traded that I can think of in the past 10+ years:

Mike Richards
Tyler Seguin
Ryan O’Reilly
Ryan Johansen

Richards required the top prospect in hockey.
Seguin was a unique situation in that Boston was really stupid.
O'Reilly was not a #1 center before getting to the Blues.
Ryan Johansen was traded for a a 21 year old top pairing defensemen.

So unless you plan to trade Drysdale or Zegras or get really really lucky it is a pipe dream.
And like I have said before, the Ducks are not a #1 center away from being a contender. Shit, they are not a McDavid away from being a contender. Going all in to get a #1 center just doesn't make sense.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun is saying that Calgary is listening on Sean Monahan. Don't know how reliable he is?

Wouldn't mind Monahan and Zegras as the top 2 centers for the Ducks. He's 26 with 2 years left after this season ends at 6.375.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun is saying that Calgary is listening on Sean Monahan. Don't know how reliable he is?

Wouldn't mind Monahan and Zegras as the top 2 centers for the Ducks. He's 26 with 2 years left after this season ends at 6.375.
Very reliable with the Sens but not really the rest of the league. But with that said I could see him being moved.

Reactions: Paul4587

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think this is a pipedream. #1 centers don't get traded very often and when they do it is either a huge return or a really really dumb move by the team trading them.
Here are #1/1b centers that have been traded that I can think of in the past 10+ years:

Mike Richards
Tyler Seguin
Ryan O’Reilly
Ryan Johansen

Richards required the top prospect in hockey.
Seguin was a unique situation in that Boston was really stupid.
O'Reilly was not a #1 center before getting to the Blues.
Ryan Johansen was traded for a a 21 year old top pairing defensemen.

So unless you plan to trade Drysdale or Zegras or get really really lucky it is a pipe dream.
And like I have said before, the Ducks are not a #1 center away from being a contender. Shit, they are not a McDavid away from being a contender. Going all in to get a #1 center just doesn't make sense.

Don't forget Pierre-Luc Dubois. Columbus sent PLD and a 3rd round pick to the Jets for LW/RW Laine and C Roslovic. Roslovic wound up being CLB's 2nd best scorer (tied) with 34 points and Laine was so-so with 21 points. CLB can still flip Laine and get a boatload back.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Don't forget Pierre-Luc Dubois. Columbus sent PLD and a 3rd round pick to the Jets for LW/RW Laine and C Roslovic. Roslovic wound up being CLB's 2nd best scorer (tied) with 34 points and Laine was so-so with 21 points. CLB can still flip Laine and get a boatload back.

PLD is not a #1 center. He has the potential because he is only 22 but he is not a #1 guy.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
I did not say we are a #1 center away, I am just saying the more trade assets you have the better chance you have at getting one. We are a whole top line away, 1C, 1LW, 1RW

Reactions: AngelDuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad