Speculation: 2021 Offseason Thread - Back To Back Champs Edition

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
If Hertl and the Sharks can't come to an extension, do you think JBB makes a play for him at the tdl? I think it would only make sense if an extension for him in Tampa was very likely, as I'm sure San Jose would target Cirelli and a 1st at minimum(although with a large ntc list it may slightly lower the trade cost). This would also mean that one of Palat/Killorn is gone for sure after this season, but that seems more and more likely anyway based on cap space. I doubt it happens as Cirelli is 4 years younger and has plenty of room to get even better, but Hertl would most likely be an upgrade for the short term and mid term years of a hypothetical contract extension.
I'm not quite ready to give uo on Cirelli yet. Cirelli wasn't used right last year, I think his best role is a shutdown center/line. That Palat-Cirelli-Killorn line was fantastic.

This year's TDL will be interesting because we don't have the LTIR cap to play with this time. I could see us staying pat, but we'll see what happens.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I'm not quite ready to give uo on Cirelli yet. Cirelli wasn't used right last year, I think his best role is a shutdown center/line. That Palat-Cirelli-Killorn line was fantastic.

This year's TDL will be interesting because we don't have the LTIR cap to play with this time. I could see us staying pat, but we'll see what happens.
Unfortunately injuries will most likely happen which might give room / necessity to bring somebody in at the TDL.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.

I agree on Cirelli 100%. I figured that if Hertl wanted out and SJ wanted to trade him, that Cirelli would probably need to be the main piece going back to make the cap work, and because SJ would want either a high quality C or RD prospect/young player coming back, if not both. Since Hertl brings many of the same qualities that Cirelli does but with, currently anyway, more offensive upside, it could be a move worth looking into. If Tampa could get him without moving Cirelli, all the better, but it’s pretty much impossible to re-sign Hertl in the 7 range and pay for Point’s raise while keeping Cirelli as well. I figured Hertl would come with max retention for sure in any trade(maybe more if a 3rd team was involved like with Savard. In any case, I’d rather keep Cirelli and Palat, but not sure how feasible that is with how much of a discount Palat would likely have to take to remain in Tampa.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.

While going big game hunting for a Hertl or Forsberg etc. would be interesting, since I agree that Cirelli is the future at 2C(unless Colton supplants him), I doubt Tampa goes in that direction barring a major injury. I could definitely see JBB looking for a middle 6 depth addition among expiring contracts, with names like Jarnkrok, Greenway, Fabbri and Rakell being of possible interest. The team could also look at keeping one of them longer term as a possibly less expensive replacement for whomever between Palat/Killorn is likely gone after the upcoming season. If he feels an RD is once again needed, Manson seems like the guy they would target as a pure rental this time.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Was reading some old articles about trade rumors and remembered the old Bishop to Calgary rumor before we sent him to LA but there wasnt any potential return revealed. I found an article saying the deal was close to what the kings gave up and would have been Chad Johnson, a conditional pick, and one of Rasmus Andersson or Adam Fox. looking back now other than the obvious Stamkos to NYR, Vinny to Montreal, and Paul Ranger for Claude Giroux, What are some of the more memorable almost trades/rumors we have had over the years?

Point21

Oct 23, 2018

Kuch looking like a future meme.

E-m5trgX0AMcrF6.jpg

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Was reading some old articles about trade rumors and remembered the old Bishop to Calgary rumor before we sent him to LA but there wasnt any potential return revealed. I found an article saying the deal was close to what the kings gave up and would have been Chad Johnson, a conditional pick, and one of Rasmus Andersson or Adam Fox. looking back now other than the obvious Stamkos to NYR, Vinny to Montreal, and Paul Ranger for Claude Giroux, What are some of the more memorable almost trades/rumors we have had over the years?
Going back to the 2016 trade deadline while Drouin was waiting for a trade, the info out there was that if Ottawa wanted him, it would cost 2015 1st rounder Thomas Chabot. 1 year later Yzerman got a prospect of similar value and position in 2016 9th overall pick Mikhail Sergachev. So probably one of the more accurate rumors I remember.

Probably the scariest was the one you listed - the Stamkos rumor to New York back in 2008 of his rookie season. For others who don’t know, this was before he turned it on in the 2nd half of that season when he was put together with Ryan Malone and Marty St. Louis.

From old TBT Lightning writer Damian Cristodero:

Rangers GM Glen Sather told the New York Post he had a handshake deal last season with then-Lightning co-owner Len Barrie to trade for Steven Stamkos but the deal was killed by co-owner Oren Koules.

When told of the story, Barrie wrote in a text message: "Not a chance. Sather asked, and I laughed."
By Thanksgiving 2008, Sather told the Post, Barrie wanted two or three players from a wish list that included defensemen Michael Del Zotto and Dan Girardi, RW Ryan Callahan, C Brandon Dubinsky and Evgeny Grachev, a center currently in the AHL.

Sather said he and Barrie "shook hands on it."
Sather told the Post the deal was killed by Koules and GM Brian Lawton also voted no.

Koules declined comment. Lawton, without referencing the story, wrote in a text message: "I have always believed in Steven, even when he had a slow start. I have never, ever, even remotely considered trading Steven."

It sounds absolutely ******* crazy, but if you were a fan through the cowboy years, that kind of rash and irresponsible thinking was not that crazy at all. They couldn't go a week in that season without somebody being sent through through a revolving door. It was pretty much this same power struggle between Len Barrie, Lawton, and Koules throughout Stammer's rookie season that lead to the Vinny rumors and eventually Garry Bettman stepping in and taking away the 2 owners power so that only the GM (Lawton) could make GM decisions.

Last edited:

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Going back to the 2016 trade deadline while Drouin was waiting for a trade, the info out there was that if Ottawa wanted him, it would cost 2015 1st rounder Thomas Chabot. 1 year later Yzerman got a prospect of similar value and position in 2016 9th overall pick Mikhail Sergachev. So probably one of the more accurate rumors I remember.

Probably the scariest was the one you listed - the Stamkos rumor to New York back in 2008 of his rookie season. For others who don’t know, this was before he turned it on in the 2nd half of that season when he was put together with Ryan Malone and Marty St. Louis.

From old TBT Lightning writer Damian Cristodero:

It sounds absolutely ******* crazy, but if you were a fan through the cowboy years, that kind of rash and irresponsible thinking was not that crazy at all. They couldn't go a week in that season without somebody being sent through through a revolving door. It was pretty much this same power struggle between Len Barrie, Lawton, and Koules throughout Stammer's rookie season that lead to the Vinny rumors and eventually Garry Bettman stepping in and taking away the 2 owners power so that only the GM (Lawton) could make GM decisions.
Picking between Chabot and Sergy now would be a tough call. i think Chabot is a little more well rounded than Sergy (at least defensively). But Sergy has definitely taken bigger strides in his physical and defensive game the last 2 years.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

The pick we traded in 1999 that the Isles used on Torres, the return was Kudroc and Weekes. However the rumored return that it was said we balked at included Luongo and Chara

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Looking at the start times on the schedule...I believe this happened this past season as well but thought it might've been one of those "COVID-ization" things, but I'm noticing that weekday home games have 7:00 start times instead of 7:30. Not complaining at all in writing this post, but I guess 7:00 is the new norm. I wonder if this is the case with other teams who tended to have their weekday start times as 7:30 local time instead of 7:00 or if it's a Lightning-specific change.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Went back to JBB's first trade with us to now to see who has come and gone through trades only and we really havent lost anyone significant other than JT Miller, Barclay Goodrow, and Tyler Johnson in the 23 trades JBB has made since the start of the 2018 season. Each In and Out match with their number. Added who traded the pick and who the original owner was if needed, as well as the player taken at the pick.

In:
1. Future Considerations
2. 2022 6th (DET)
3. Brent Seabrook
4. 2021 4th (VGK-MTL) (Dylan Duke)
5. 2022 7th (NYR)
6. Fredrik Claesson
7. David Savard + Brian Lashoff
8. Antoine Morand + 2023 7th
9. Marion Gaborik + Ander Nilsson
10. 2020 4th (PHI) (Eamon Powell) + 2020 5th (PHI) (Jaydon Dureau)
11. 2020 2nd (MTL-STL) (Jack Finley)
12. Barclay Goodrow
13. Anthony Greco
14. Blake Coleman
15. Patrick Sieloff
16. Devante Stephens
17. 2021 7th (NJ) (Daniil Pylenkov)
18. 2020 4th (DET) (TRADED PICK)
19. Mike Condon + 2020 6th (OTT) (Nick Capone)
20. Marek Mazanec (Rights), 2019 3rd (VAN) (Hugo Alnefelt), 2020 1st (VAN) (TRADED PICK)
21. 2021 7th (NSH) (Robert Flinton)
22. Jan Rutta + 2019 7th (Mikhail Shalagin)
23. Mitch Hults

Out:
1. Spencer Martin
2. Mitchell Stephens
3. Tyler Johnson + 2023 2nd (TB)
4. 2022 4th (TB)
5. Barclay Goodrow
6. Magnus Chrona
7. 2021 4th (TB) (Jakub Demek, DET), 2022 3rd (TB), 2021 1st (TB) (Nolan Allan, CBJ)
8. Alexander Volkov
9. 2022 2nd, Braydon Coburn, Cedric Paquette
10. 2020 4th (DET) (Zayde Wisdom, PHI)
11. 2021 2nd (TB) (Oliver Kapanen, MTL) + 2020 4th (TB) (Sean Farrell, MTL)
12. Anthony Greco + 2020 1st (TB) (Ozzy Weisblatt, SJ)
13. Danick Martel
14. Nolan Foote + 2020 1st (VAN) (Sahkir Mukhamadullin ,NJ)
15. Chris Mueller
16. Matthew Sencer
17. Louis Domingue
18. Adam Erne
19. Ryan Callahan + 2020 5th (TB) (Eric Engstrand,OTT)
20. J.T. Miller
21. Connor Ingram
22. Slater Koekkoek + 2019 5th (TB) (Aku Raty, AZ-CHI)
23. Future Considerations

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Pretty calm given that the reg is about to start in about a month on October 12th. How are y’all doing?

Football returning will keep me busy till we get closer to the season.

I'm a little worried about cup hang over finally catching up to the team. They looked tired at the end of last season. 82 games this year so we'll see fatigue.

They also know regular season is pointless so we might see some lack of motivation or effort on some nights. I don't think they run away with the division, could see a 3rd seed again.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Football returning will keep me busy till we get closer to the season.

I'm a little worried about cup hang over finally catching up to the team. They looked tired at the end of last season. 82 games this year so we'll see fatigue.

They also know regular season is pointless so we might see some lack of motivation or effort on some nights. I don't think they run away with the division, could see a 3rd seed again.

And my broader concern within that is that there's enough good teams in the East that, if stay in autopilot too long, then the playoffs themselves could get dicier than we'd like. It seems like about half the people in the main board thread think we'll win the division, and most of the other half think we'll finish 2nd, but I tend to agree with you on this. They've played 47 playoff games since last August going into this upcoming season. They won the Cup both times. Early season motivation...where are they going to find it? And you can't really blame them either. They've earned the right to pace themselves. Hopefully they're in decent enough shape come 2022, and are able to find the next gear somewhere around that time in order to safely secure playoff positioning. No, I don't think they'll miss the playoffs, but nobody thought the 2014-'15 LA Kings (winners of two of the previous three Cups and 10 playoff rounds in the previous three years overall) would miss the playoffs either. Very good chance the Metro wins both wild cards, and we know Florida and Toronto are going to be good regular season teams. Boston still being good would be no surprise either.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I wonder how much he signed for or if we even offered him a contract. His minor league salary here was 165k, which is pretty good and a roster spot opens up next year with Rutta's contract expiring.

I think it's more to do with getting a bigger chance. With the depth we added he was most likely not going to get the call up this year like he did last. And if he was called up he would be in and out the lineup, he only played 21 games last year. So if he's bouncing back and forth he isn't going to get the games to show what he can do. A big season in Europe could get him a one way deal somewhere next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad