Speculation: 2021 Offseason Thread - Back To Back Champs Edition

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm for rows until we retire more numbers. It's a petty argument but flexing appearances and putting on airs for the sake of looking successful is an important visual for visiting fans who would pull the "Tampa doesn't deserve a team" nonsense. Other people simply need to feel like they're walking on hallowed ground and there's an argument to be made that there exists an onus to give it to them. When Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov, Vasilevskiy and maybe Point have their numbers raised you can put all division titles on one banner and no one notices

If I'm making any change it's that our Cup banners don't look so stupidly similar to all the other ones. You won the Cup 3 times. Flex damn it. That's not a small deal that makes for a small banner

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I'm for rows until we retire more numbers. It's a petty argument but flexing appearances and putting on airs for the sake of looking successful is an important visual for visiting fans who would pull the "Tampa doesn't deserve a team" nonsense. Other people simply need to feel like they're walking on hallowed ground and there's an argument to be made that there exists an onus to give it to them. When Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov, Vasilevskiy and maybe Point have their numbers raised you can put all division titles on one banner and no one notices

If I'm making any change it's that our Cup banners don't look so stupidly similar to all the other ones. You won the Cup 3 times. Flex damn it. That's not a small deal that makes for a small banner
They are bigger and a different color though. I think it's fine. The other extreme was that gaudy huge banner we used to have for the 2004 cup, lol.

I don't mind the divisional banners but having them another row is a nice compromise. Don't need them interspersed with the ones celebrating actual trophies.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I don't know why we're rushing to put the division banners we've got into the wood chipper. Chicago displays their division banners for both the Bulls and Blackhawks.

Montreal only does championships and retirements, but hangs them down the length of the arena.

MSG hangs their banners circling around the perimeter.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Lol i love how your stance on that hasnt changed. I do like the old look as well..

It never will haha. I know the two things that have endeared me to the Bolts fans on here has been me still liking the Islanders better, me beating a long deceased horse about how much I hate the new look, and my occasional call-out of the nature of Bolts fans and Tampa fans in general.

I've found I'm very nostalgic. I used to hate teams using throwbacks for alternates/thirds or going back to them because it seemed lazy. Now I'm hoping the Bolts join the Senators and Coyotes and make a return to the 90's look. That game 7 against the Flames is still the single best sports moment of my life. Getting to see that banner raised was such a cool moment. When King Jeff decided to change it I was annoyed because it was some some rich clown who has no connection to the past and just wants his stamp on it. And that's still my feeling, he wanted to do things his way. Now that has brought 2 more cups, so it's hard to complain, but damnit you know I will.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I really think the "TB doesn't deserve a team" nonsense is dead, or just carried on by bitter fans who wish Jeff Vinik had bought their team. We have FIVE guys on this team who are either clearly HOF bound, or have a legit shot. That will legitimize anything.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I really think the "TB doesn't deserve a team" nonsense is dead, or just carried on by bitter fans who wish Jeff Vinik had bought their team. We have FIVE guys on this team who are either clearly HOF bound, or have a legit shot. That will legitimize anything.

Man I would like to hope so. The mental gymnastics people to through to say 3 championships don't count or why we don't deserve a team may as well be an Olympic sport

Reactions: Hoek

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It never will haha. I know the two things that have endeared me to the Bolts fans on here has been me still liking the Islanders better, me beating a long deceased horse about how much I hate the new look, and my occasional call-out of the nature of Bolts fans and Tampa fans in general.

I've found I'm very nostalgic. I used to hate teams using throwbacks for alternates/thirds or going back to them because it seemed lazy. Now I'm hoping the Bolts join the Senators and Coyotes and make a return to the 90's look. That game 7 against the Flames is still the single best sports moment of my life. Getting to see that banner raised was such a cool moment. When King Jeff decided to change it I was annoyed because it was some some rich clown who has no connection to the past and just wants his stamp on it. And that's still my feeling, he wanted to do things his way. Now that has brought 2 more cups, so it's hard to complain, but damnit you know I will.

You're good bro. We are all Lightning fans! Even the guys who still root for some other team too. We also dont have to agree with everything our owner does even though i think if you buy a team you are well within your rights to put your stamp on it. Hes also been an awesome owner than we could ask for. Weve seen some bad owners in sports hes far from it!

Reactions: PhysicalGraffiti

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
You're good bro. We are all Lightning fans! Even the guys who still root for some other team too. We also dont have to agree with everything our owner does even though i think if you buy a team you are well within your rights to put your stamp on it. Hes also been an awesome owner than we could ask for. Weve seen some bad owners in sports hes far from it!

Appreciate it! And that's right, when it comes down to it while we're cheering and high fiving watching or at the games, we're all rooting for the same thing.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Anyone know what time the banner ceremony will start tomorrow? And will I be able to watch it on nhl tv in Canada

I could probably find these answers myself but I’m still in preseason form

Reactions: Peacefool

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Anyone know what time the banner ceremony will start tomorrow? And will I be able to watch it on nhl tv in Canada

I could probably find these answers myself but I’m still in preseason form
They're telling folks to be in their seats by 7:30 PM so I assume nothing happens before then.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Thread title suggestion for the regular season thread: "Workin' too hard can give you a back-to-back-to-back, you oughta know by now"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad