Speculation: 2021 Offseason Thread - Back To Back Champs Edition

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

I wonder how much he signed for or if we even offered him a contract. His minor league salary here was 165k, which is pretty good and a roster spot opens up next year with Rutta's contract expiring.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I wonder how much he signed for or if we even offered him a contract. His minor league salary here was 165k, which is pretty good and a roster spot opens up next year with Rutta's contract expiring.
The SHL goes for 60-250k Euro tax-free.

We taught him everything he needs to know.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi everyone, hope this Thread is the right one as I couldn’t find a more relevant Title.

For those who don’t subscribe to THG. He’s not an insider or anything, just a fan of the Game who does a nice job of keeping up with the NHL and puts out a fair amount of content, which is nice during the off-season.

I thought some of you might enjoy his Season preview for the Team during these slow news days of August, or perhaps share this with someone just learning about the Team.

I find that although THG isn’t the most exciting personality, he breaks things down nicely for those newer to the Game or looking for regular content of the non-biased variety.

Hope you’re all doing well and enjoying the summer with your families.

Cheers,
9E5763F1-E9C4-4A73-B28D-A144A378F039.jpeg

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

Perry joins Sandy McCarthy, Mike Johnson, Jussi Jokinen, Gary Roberts, Sean Bergenheim, Brenden Morrow, Mike Angelidis and JT Miller among other former Lightning #10s.

PEB’s #41 has only been worn by three previous Lightning players, the only notable one is goaltender Mike Smith.

Bogo goes back to “his” #24, most notably worn by Ryan Callahan before - and several journeymen.

#1 is connected with a lot of bad memories surrounding our club’s history and especially its goaltenders: Wendell Young, Jeff Reese, Zac Bierk, Evgeny Konstantinov and Sean Burke have worn it before for the Lightning.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Anybody post this? Pretty cool...7 different calls...

One thing about the French call (except for the Avs-esque somber tone which is hilarious) - stop talking right after the goal is scored and it let us feel the crowd. More broadcast teams need to do that.

Reactions: BoltsFanSinceDay1

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
Yeah was hoping somebody is subscribed.
Here's a few.
BriseBois is entering the final year of his contract. Have talks started on that? How optimistic are you in a long-term extension?
Julien has done a tremendous job. I believe he’s done a tremendous job. He’s a tremendous person. And there’s tremendous odds we’ll extend his contract.

Will you guys require fans to be vaccinated to enter the building, like your AHL team Syracuse did?
It’s a day-by-day thing, we have not made a final decision on that. The hockey season is still only a month out, so we’ll have to decide on that soon, based on what we think is the right thing to do. We don’t have to make a decision before we have to. Like last year, we initially planned on having fans in the building and then changed our mind, then waited until the right moment. This year we have to be flexible, but we are leaning towards opening at full capacity.

Amalie Arena will be 25 years old in October, believe it or not, and I know you put in more than $100 million into renovating it over the years. But how do you feel about your arena situation? Would you like to explore a new one in the future or continue to work on this one?
As you said, we put a lot of money in, and the county is right there with us over the last 10-12 years. I’m thankful for people in the county, they’ve been tremendous partners. It’s something we’ll continue to look at how to create the best fan experience in Amalie Arena, and quite frankly, how to drive revenue, which helps us with payroll. We are encouraged with how well the building has held up and it’s in great shape and, to use the expression of the bones in the building are excellent. So we’re optimistic we’ll be hosting hockey games and shows and the circus for many, many years.

You’ve finally got an outdoor game, at least on the road in Nashville in February. I know you’ve been in commissioner Gary Bettman’s ear every time you see him about the Lightning being in one or hosting. What’s next on your wish list?
We’re not giving up on a game in Tampa, but the humidity is challenging. We’ve discussed that for two years straight before we decided not to go with it at this time. It’s something on our radar, and we’re thrilled to go to Nashville and be playing the Predators. I know guys are really happy to be playing and I want them to experience that.
I’ll probably say nothing until the day after the Nashville game and then my next words to Gary will be, “When are we doing an outdoor game in Tampa?”

So when we talk next summer, will we be discussing a threepeat?
I hope so. There will never be a year where we don’t start the year where that’s not the goal. The No. 1 goal is to make the playoffs, and if we get in, there’s no guarantees we’ll win the Stanley Cup. But we hope we can win three in a row. I can tell you our guys are all pumped up. It was a tough offseason to lose a lot of good guys, but we brought in some really solid players. We like our chances.

Reactions: Peacefool

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012

How has COVID impacted your business?
It’s hard on the people. Everyone individually reacts to the stress of being home differently. For some people like me, it’s almost easier — I’m an introvert, I love working during the day and having a few conversations and a couple Zoom calls. I love the low-key lifestyle. Other people need to get out. It’s been really tough on them. With that light, we’ve tried to be supportive of people as we can, both financially, but more emotionally providing services and a shoulder to lean on. People are worn out now by the 18 months of difficult circumstances. For the Lightning to win two Cups, we’ve got it better off than basically any other sports team. But I look forward to being on the other side of it where people can live normal lives.

You’ve said before that your goal is for the team to be financially at around break even, plus or minus a little, and you’ve been in the black until the pandemic. How is the health of the franchise right now?
It’s going fine business-wise. The last year is not plus-or-minus, it was red. The playoffs helped, to be perfectly honest, but it was definitely in the red. We’re hoping this year to get back to pretty normal and we’re very lucky we’re strongly supported by the fans and companies in the area. We’re looking forward to being back to a really strong financial situation in the coming year. But it’s been challenging for most teams. It’s hard when you have most of your expenses, but very few revenue streams.

You’re an owner but also a hockey fan. Did it take some getting used to when it came to accepting ads on players’ jerseys like they will be starting in the 2022 season?
Like a lot of us, I had mixed feelings on that. Our jerseys and our sweaters are pure, they’re so distinctive in the world of sports. But on the other hand, the economics of a three by five inches of real estate on the jersey is very valuable and has value to teams who lost a lot of money over the last couple years. I think it’s just kind of bittersweet, but in the end, I was in favor of it. Our job as owners and as a league, we’ll try to find ways to showcase our wonderful jerseys.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Have we traded for eichel at 50% retained yet? we can throw him on LTIR till playoffs and make our 6 headed dragon of a top 6 just run through teams on route to a 3peat

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
If Hertl and the Sharks can't come to an extension, do you think JBB makes a play for him at the tdl? I think it would only make sense if an extension for him in Tampa was very likely, as I'm sure San Jose would target Cirelli and a 1st at minimum(although with a large ntc list it may slightly lower the trade cost). This would also mean that one of Palat/Killorn is gone for sure after this season, but that seems more and more likely anyway based on cap space. I doubt it happens as Cirelli is 4 years younger and has plenty of room to get even better, but Hertl would most likely be an upgrade for the short term and mid term years of a hypothetical contract extension.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad