2021 Offseason Thread | 2022 Roster Speculation Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I think you missed my point.
Football players in a lot of american schools are held to different standards that the average non athletic student.
Especially in the high school setting, most are just given passing grades without actually doing anything.
I can't speak for all colleges obviously but it was largely the same way, at least when i went. Especially from the high talent players, the degrees most power 5 college football players take are exploratory/general studies, sports management, communication and liberal arts.

They have a "college" education but it's largely useless filer that allows them to stay within qualifying standards to still be eligible to play and not actually require them to do anything.
That's not to say this is the case for all players, and maybe it has gotten better since I graduated, as it was a long time ago. But when i was going through high school, half the football team could barely read.
And I'm sure it's even worse in a place like Texas where Highschool football reigns king

Hell back when i was at Mich State, they offered basket weaving classes that virtually all football and basketball players took. Probably still do.

In my personal experience the average junior hockey player has a better education than most college graduate football players( at least from big schools anyway) let alone players that leave early for pros.

Yeah, I've also heard those stories. I don't have any personal experience with how either type of player is treated, it's why I added my last line in the first post, maybe hockey players (at least in Canada and Minnesota) are also not doing much either. In all fairness, when it comes to American education, half the populace can barely read in high school, and I went to a 'good' high school. Even in college, the bar was very, very low. Can't speak to Canadian education, though, haven't experienced it first hand. I understand the joke about NCAA athletes with communications and PE teacher degrees, I'm just saying that at least they're in the general proximity of a book and teachers for a bit longer than hockey players are. Certainly hockey players are more likely to have been raised in better conditions, because the sport is too expensive and inaccessibly to play for normal people, I'm just saying that most of them don't even get a post high school education, and that's not much of an education.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
I won't ask how u guys know what cars these men own... I'll just mind my own business

upload_2021-9-10_15-43-51.png

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I don't feel like making a new thread about this, but I just wanted to ask your opinion about Ranking the best under-23 NHL players: Does Cale Makar or Andrei Svechnikov top the list? list, where the main point is that Miro Heiskanen is _NOT_ a top-10 U23 player in NHL.

The top-10: Makar, Svechnikov, Petterson, Dahlin, Q. Hughes, Lafreniere, Stützle, Tkachuk, Power, J. Hughes

Personally I can discuss whether Heiskanen is in top-3, but if you put him outside of top-5, you have never seen him playing.

Last edited:

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I don't feel like making a new thread about this, but I just wanted to ask your opinion about Ranking the best under-23 NHL players: Does Cale Makar or Andrei Svechnikov top the list? list, where the main point is that Miro Heiskanen is _NOT_ a top-10 U23 player in NHL.

The top-10: Makar, Svechnikov, Petterson, Dahlin, Q. Hughes, Lafreniere, Stützle, Tkachuk, Power, J. Hughes

Heiskanen should definitely be ahead of most of those guys. I mean Powers hasn’t even played a game in the NHL lol

Q Hughes is great on the PP and all, but is a mess in his own zone

My top 5 would be in no order
Makar
Tkachuk
Heiskanen
Svechnikov
Petterson

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I would say 'who gives a s--t?' at this point. I think Pronmen is good at what he does, but I highly doubt he's watching NHL games as diligently as he watches all the junior stuff. That he has lukewarm/flat out wrong NHL opinions is expected in some cases. Beyond that, his obsession with Power (I really don't think he's all that), and Zegras not being higher, his top 10 is mostly on point.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Pronman has been inexplicably undervaluing Heiskanen since his draft year and is not willing to go back on that initial oddity. I bet he will take that opinion to the grave, despite what Miro does during his NHL career.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017

Personally I can discuss whether Heiskanen is in top-3, but if you put him outside of top-5, you have never seen him playing.
It’s not even something to take serious when lafrenier , stutzle and power are all there .

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
It’s not even something to take serious when lafrenier , stutzle and power are all there .

They have potential to be better what Heiskanen is now, but Heiskanen hasn't reached his potential yet either.

I'd also raise Rasmus Dahlin to these. What exactly has he got done? Heiskanen has a 26-point playoff-season, what does Dahlin have?

Reactions: Bfantz
Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Pronman has been inexplicably undervaluing Heiskanen since his draft year and is not willing to go back on that initial oddity. I bet he will take that opinion to the grave, despite what Miro does during his NHL career.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pronman still thinks Miro is playing in Liiga. :laugh:

Reactions: Johno

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX

Heiskanen is definitely in the top 5.

Just cause he’s not scoring like other youngsters isn’t the only thing to look at. Playing on a defensive run team, not getting top PP mins/more on the PK cause he’s capable, not playing on his strong side, averaging give or take 24 minutes or so a game and doing what he’s done has been amazing.

He also played his first season with Roman Polak as his partner and actually made that look good.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
How did Pronman rate JRob ? Just curious.

Idk Pronman seems to highly overrate "potential" even when a player hasn't actually done anything much .

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
How did Pronman rate JRob ? Just curious.

Idk Pronman seems to highly overrate "potential" even when a player hasn't actually done anything much .

upload_2021-9-14_10-39-44.png

That five is "tier"

Tier: Projected top of the lineup player
Skating: Poor
Puck Skills: Average
Hockey Sense: Above-average
Compete: Average
Shot: Above-average

Other Stars players on the list: Harley #55, Dellandrea #100, Johnston #108, Oettinger #121, Bourque #145, Stankoven #167. All-in-all 194 players on the list.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
I wonder how many other U23s have a 25+ point playoff-season. Let alone among d-men.
Wow, I just looked up the stats for the 2019-20 season and the Stars were crazy.

Regular Season
Stars were 29th in GF but solid defensively and 2nd in GA.

Postseason
Stars were 1st in GF but 24th in GA.

edit - not sure if stats on the postseason numbers are their average throughout or the overall.

Last edited:

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Wow, I just looked up the stats for the 2019-20 season and the Stars were crazy.

Regular Season

Postseason

Quite a turnover :o Add this past season and the results are all over the place. The question is will they finish now dead last or win the Cup in 2022 :D

Reactions: Dynamite Time

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Quite a turnover :o Add this past season and the results are all over the place. The question is will they finish now dead last or win the Cup in 2022 :D
Somewhere in between I’ll say haha.

I think even though we’re an older team if we can stay healthy compared to last season we look good. The only ??? is who’s our solid 1A/1B goaltending duo. If Bishop is done that’s a wildcard.

edit - I’m off tomorrow/today and just having time to be a nerd and the more I look at it we do have a solid group of defenseman.

Last edited:

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Somewhere in between I’ll say haha.

I think even though we’re an older team if we can stay healthy compared to last season we look good. The only ??? is who’s our solid 1A/1B goaltending duo. If Bishop is done that’s a wildcard.

edit - I’m off tomorrow/today and just having time to be a nerd and the more I look at it we do have a solid group of defenseman.

I'm pretty neutral about Stars and I feel like they have a pretty good shot at winning a playoff-round this season. Getting to top-8 is in my opinion a good baseline, anything less than that is underachieving and getting to Conference Finals would be overachieving.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017

Regular Season

Postseason

edit - not sure if stats on the postseason numbers are their average throughout or the overall.
That’s kinda easy to happen when you make it to the finals and play that many more games than everyone else .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad