2021 Off Season Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
I think there is an agreement between Bozak and the Blues, but they can’t sign/fit him until Tarasenko is moved. So, that tells me Armstrong is close enough to a deal he can hold his nose and complete that he can make contingency moves. That’s the theory.
I can somewhat buy it from a leverage standpoint. Technically though Blues can sign Bozak now.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I think there is an agreement between Bozak and the Blues, but they can’t sign/fit him until Tarasenko is moved. So, that tells me Armstrong is close enough to a deal he can hold his nose and complete that he can make contingency moves. That’s the theory.
Perhaps, but I think it possible that they told Bozo they need to deal Tank first bc it depends on return as to whether we have space for Bozo.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Kase to the Leafs for 1.5m seems like a bargain. I was hoping the Blues would take a flyer on him

It's 1.25m, the exact amount that a team can bury in their minors without salary cap implications in the NHL...

That said you're talking about a guy who has played ~42% of the available regular season games in the past 3 seasons and 56% of the regular season games over the past 5 years (details here 2021 Offseason Discussion Part II )... Everyone rants about how injury prone Schwartz was for us and he missed 53 games over the past 5 seasons (playing 320/373 games for 86%).

I'm content passing on a player that is likely to dress for ~41 games next season.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
If the Blues do move Tarasenko and open up some cap space, I wouldn't mind offering Ryan Murray a short/cheap "prove you can stay healthy" contract. He's a good dman when healthy...

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
If the Blues do move Tarasenko and open up some cap space, I wouldn't mind offering Ryan Murray a short/cheap "prove you can stay healthy" contract. He's a good dman when healthy...
He’s my top choice on remaining D. Add him and Bozo, deal Tank, and we are ready.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.

I wouldn’t mind this one bit. Would be nice to grab him and/or Chara on cheap deals, especially if we end up moving Scandella.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
It's 1.25m, the exact amount that a team can bury in their minors without salary cap implications in the NHL...

That said you're talking about a guy who has played ~42% of the available regular season games in the past 3 seasons and 56% of the regular season games over the past 5 years (details here 2021 Offseason Discussion Part II )... Everyone rants about how injury prone Schwartz was for us and he missed 53 games over the past 5 seasons (playing 320/373 games for 86%).

I'm content passing on a player that is likely to dress for ~41 games next season.

I get it but there’s a big difference between paying a player like Schwartz 5+ million vs Kase @1.5. The expectations are not the same

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
He’s my top choice on remaining D. Add him and Bozo, deal Tank, and we are ready.

We need to dump the Scandella contract first; which I am all for.

Scandella is probably one of Army's worst mistakes. Such a warm body and does nothing for the lineup.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Saad-ROR-Perron
Kostin-Schenn-Tarasenko
Kyrou-Thomas-Buchnevich
Sunny-Barbie-Sanford

Faulk-Walman
Scandella-Parayko
Krug-Bortuzzo

Binner

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
We need to dump the Scandella contract first; which I am all for.

Scandella is probably one of Army's worst mistakes. Such a warm body and does nothing for the lineup.
You know, I hear this argument a lot and for a while I was kind of in the same mindset that Scandella doesn’t do a whole lot. But if you look at his advanced stats, I think it paints a much different picture. His defensive starts are super crazy, like 63% are starting in the d-zone. So obviously we should expect probably 1 of 2 things: he’s either a) blocking a bunch of shots (spoiler he is) or b) he is great at moving the puck out, or in other words a high corsi guy (he isn’t at all). So if we take just those into account, you have a defensive defenseman who is blocking shots like he should, but he isn’t necessarily the one helping the rush or the one taking the puck out of the zone. You can contextualize this in a few ways, but the easiest seems to be that he starts in the d-zone, blocks shots, and leaves once the puck is out of the zone.

The thing that throws me off though is that, he gives up the puck way more that he takes it away, and I don’t know if that was because of the awful transition game we had this past season or he’s just not good and moving the puck (his career stats are pretty lopsided for the latter). The one final thing that really speaks to his play is his plus/minus. How can someone who starts in the d-zone 63% of the time, have below 40% corsi, AND gives up the puck almost double the amount he takes away have the 2nd best plus/minus? Generally you don’t have those types of numbers by chance, especially on the team we had last year. Idk I find it hard to believe that a guy who is consistently a + player is just a warm body. We can generalize and say plus/minus is a stupid stat, but it is valuable for things like these. Scandella is a good defenseman when he’s the 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman, which is what he is here.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Saad-ROR-Perron
Kostin-Schenn-Tarasenko
Kyrou-Thomas-Buchnevich
Sunny-Barbie-Sanford

Faulk-Walman
Scandella-Parayko
Krug-Bortuzzo

Binner

From what I remember Faulk was terrible playing his offside. A big part of his improvement came after he slotted onto the right hand side...

Why would you put him back on his offside and throw him with a partner that couldn't force his way into everyday NHL usage and run them as your top pairing?

I get Walkman impressed in short stints. But impressing in short stints doesn't equate top pair dman and displacing your best all-around dman into a suboptimal deployment...

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Because I believe this team is a top-4 LHD from serious contention, and Colton Parayko needs a raise next year.

Haven't looked at Capfriendly yet, but isn't there a good top-4 lefthanded defender to be found who is either underperforming, payed a little bit too much or is just in need of a change of scenery we can swap for Tarasenko (/and possibly Scandella)?

I agree that that position is probably our biggest necessity at the moment.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Haven't looked at Capfriendly yet, but isn't there a good top-4 lefthanded defender to be found who is either underperforming, payed a little bit too much or is just in need of a change of scenery we can swap for Tarasenko (/and possibly Scandella)?

I agree that that position is probably our biggest necessity at the moment.
His name was Nate Schmidt

Reactions: MissouriMook
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad