2021 Off Season Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

AHL signings!

People are going to think I am complaining just to complain, but oh well. This is slightly troubling with these signings. One of the things that I have always liked about Armstrong is that he goes out and spends money on quality AHL/NHL tweeners to shove in the AHL, so we can have good NHL call ups. These guys aint that. I don't think they compare well to Santini, Beau Bennett, Chris Butler, Gilles etc? I wonder if we are skimping on money in the AHL due to lower revenue. Maybe we like these guys as potential call-ups. I don't know much about them beyond a brief google search.

Maybe we have a few more of the signing like what I am looking for coming. Who knows, I probably am just complaining to complain, but I'd like a few more good call-ups stashed in the AHL then we have. We lost some depth losing Reinke, DLR, and having to move guys up to replace guys like Dunn, Schwartz, Hoffman, etc. Perunovich, Santini and Tucker are the entirity of our AHL defense. Peca is probably the second forward call up after Walker.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Saad-ROR-Perron
X-Schenn-Buchnevich
X-Thomas-Kyrou

Could probably move pieces around, but we can likely put all the guys that prefer the right on the right. Prefer to start Saad with ROR and Perron, but he should be able to fit on any line.
We definitely have a lot of options. I don’t mind Schenn on the wing either.

Saad-ROR-Perron
Schenn-Thomas-Buchnevich

If Thomas improves defensively, those are two very well rounded lines that can match up against anyone.

Means we likely need Bozak back to center Kyrou and Kostin, but I’d be fine with that.

Sanford-Barbashev-Sundqvist as the 4th line is good.

This really helps us be in “no panic” mode anymore. Even if we lose Tarasenko for nothing, we can roll 4 lines.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
We definitely have a lot of options. I don’t mind Schenn on the wing either.

Saad-ROR-Perron
Schenn-Thomas-Buchnevich

If Thomas improves defensively, those are two very well rounded lines that can match up against anyone.

Means we likely need Bozak back to center Kyrou and Kostin, but I’d be fine with that.

Sanford-Barbashev-Sundqvist as the 4th line is good.

This really helps us be in “no panic” mode anymore. Even if we lose Tarasenko for nothing, we can roll 4 lines.
Yeah, this really helps gives us flexibility in the top 9, where we can either load up, or go with that pair system.

If Tarasenko returns, we likely have just enough cap space for the RFAs and no other moves. If we move Tarasenko, then we either are bringing someone in through trade or have room to make another move. I know Army doesn't want to retain, but this helps give us clarity that we can still field a competitive team while not spending to the cap.

Would've been nice if stuff got wrapped up at a point where we could bring in a quality backup on a short deal, that move would probably result in a handful of wins.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I like the Saad signing. I think the last year might hurt, but I'd rather have Saad at 4.5x5 then Schwartz at 5.5x5.

Now use the extra 1M to resign Bozak, get our RFAs signed, and I think we can tie a bow on this until the season starts unless someone blows us away on an offer for Tarasenko.

Plan for the 2021-2022 season - feed Tarasenko minutes and good linemates. Get him going. Flip him for a top line LW or hope that he gets the red off his ass and realizes that playing for this team is still pretty fun. See how the D holds up with a healthy Parayko and hopefully an improved/more comfortable Krug. If we look like we're a solid contender and he hasn't fallen off a cliff, go after Giordano for the stretch run/playoffs. Hopefully win Stanley Cup.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
I like the Saad signing. I think the last year might hurt, but I'd rather have Saad at 4.5x5 then Schwartz at 5.5x5.

Now use the extra 1M to resign Bozak, get our RFAs signed, and I think we can tie a bow on this until the season starts unless someone blows us away on an offer for Tarasenko.

Plan for the 2021-2022 season - feed Tarasenko minutes and good linemates. Get him going. Flip him for a top line LW or hope that he gets the red off his ass and realizes that playing for this team is still pretty fun. See how the D holds up with a healthy Parayko and hopefully an improved/more comfortable Krug. If we look like we're a solid contender and he hasn't fallen off a cliff, go after Giordano for the stretch run/playoffs. Hopefully win Stanley Cup.
I'd much rather read posts like this than a lot of the doom and gloom from the past few weeks. Cheers

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
Don't mind this signing I suppose but when I still look at lines I feel like something is still missing. Not sure what is it.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
3rd Line wingers, Top 4 defensive LHD
I'm hopeful that we see the pre-bubble version of Scandella that was partnered with Parayko for 11 games following the Bouwmeester incident. Blues were 9-2 in that stretch. Then the shutdown occurred on 3/11/20 and alot of the Blues players haven't looked the same since, Scandella included.

Reactions: Blueston

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Army loves the vets. Are there other UFA's on his radar?

Tatar
Bozak
Ritchie
Thornton
Zajac
Brassard
Chiasson

Palmieri would be nice but probably signing back with the Islanders

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I put together a quick roster on capgeek to see how the cap was looking. I gave $2.5M to each of Kyrou, Thomas and Sanford for the sake of simplicity and then chose the most expensive 6th and 7th D men.

Perron-ROR-Buch
Saad-Schenn-Kyrou
Sanford-Thomas-Tarasenko
Mac-Sunny-Kostin
Clifford

Krug-Faulk
Scandella-Parayko
Mikkola-Bort
Perunovich (because he is most expensive)

Binner
Husso

We've got $768k left with that lineup. Barby is not included in that and I hope we can get Thomas/Kyrou/Sanford done for less than $7.5M. I also think that Perunovich starts in the AHL and our 7th D will be about $200k cheaper. But tweaks aside, it is pretty clear that we can get a decent roster under the cap without moving Tarasenko. I'm not saying we should be done looking for upgrades and shouldn't look to swap Tarasenko/Scandella for better uses of that $10.75M. Step one should be finding a way to get Bozak here on a 1 year bonus-laden deal with a $1M salary/starting cap hit.

My point is simply that Army has done enough to look at GMs and say "if that's your best offer I'm just going to start the year with what I have and keep looking."

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I would love to see Ritchie and/or Kase to be signed for the 3rd line.

Perron-RoR-Buch
Saad-Schenn-Kyrou
Kostin/Richie-Thomas-Kostin/Kase
Sanford-Sunny-Barbie

Reactions: BlueDream

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Kase would be a great bottom-6 add, but this lineup most desperately needs a top-4 LHD now. We have everything else we need to be contenders. Upgrading one of Sanford or Tarasenko is our “greatest” forward need. It’s really all down to the defense now.

Adding Bozak sets the forward group outside of whatever happens with Tarasenko. Sanford should just be stapled to the bottom-6. I don’t think we address the defense this off-season, unfortunately, but that’s what we really need to challenge for a cup.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
We all hate Thornton..... but you never know
Can you imagine Jumbo Joe finally winning a cup, and it's with the Blues? I've never hated the guy, but I hate the media ass kissing he gets every time he gets past the first round. Would love that fawning to come the Blues' way, and I would really love Sharks fans having to see their franchise's icon lifting a cup in a Blue note.

Reactions: Spektre
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad