Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
@Mosby - who's this year's Zayde Wisdom from the OHL? Or Ryan O'Rourke? Any throwback style "culture-changers" available? I want one Kyle Clifford and one Wayne Simmonds on draft day. Are there any in the OHL crop?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Hard to say, both because the OHL hasn't played and it's not a great draft for the CHL in particular. I think more than ever you'd see wildly different draft lists. There are some OHL guys who went over to Europe and others who haven't played since last season. Maybe a guy like Wyatt Johnston in Windsor could intrigue. He has not played this year.

I don't like drafting goalies but this is actually a good year for CHL guys for a change. Cossa, Lennox, Gaudreau as examples. I think I heard at one point that Army likes to get a goalie in each draft, or at least try for it. It's such a weak draft too so maybe you just roll the dice and pick a goalie.

Besides, we're getting a little dry on goalie depth too. Let's say Raanta walks (and trips), Kuemper is traded, and we go with Hill and UFA Andersen.

Coyotes - Hill and Andersen
Roadrunners - Prosvetov and Tendeck?

We have nothing beyond that in the ECHL, Europe, college, or juniors. We've drafted 4 goalies in the past 7 drafts (Hill, Prosvetov, Tendeck, Kallgren) and seem to have relative success developing them. Might be time to pick another.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
FWIW I loved St. Louis' first pick last year, Jake Neighbours from the Oil Kings. Now there is a culture changer. And I assume they were going off of Army's list.

Reactions: rt

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I represented AZ in a mock draft recently and I picked two OHL guys in the 2nd round, both of them played in Europe this year and both of them will be on team Canada for the upcoming U18s. I'll have my eyes on them.

C Brett Harrison 6'1 Oshawa
RD Logan Mailloux 6'3 London

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
FWIW I loved St. Louis' first pick last year, Jake Neighbours from the Oil Kings. Now there is a culture changer. And I assume they were going off of Army's list.

St Louis has a bunch of cap dropping off and will probably lose Schwartz and Hoffman. Could always send Keller home for something based around Neighbours and Dunn.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
St Louis has a bunch of cap dropping off and will probably lose Schwartz and Hoffman. Could always send Keller home for something based around Neighbours and Dunn.
You are trying to get rid of the wrong player.

rt

May 13, 2004
As long as we also sign Schwartz and trade OEL (and sign Hamilton) LOL. This pairing trades with UFA prizes is fun. No wonder BA is intrigued. Too bad it seems impossible. Haha.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

I like both of those players quite a bit but I like Keller more.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Love Neighbours but he's more likely to be a really good bottom 6 player who can fill into middle 6 In my opinion.. Dunn is a bottom 4 D... Keller needs to bring back a prospect with a high chance of being a top line player or at least top 6 and a roster player like Dunn who's value is roughly a 2nd round pick.. and hopefully a 2nd or at least a 3rd round pick as well...... My target for a prospect would be someone along the lines of Tomasino, Krebs or Jarvis

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

rt

May 13, 2004
This Simon Robertsson seems very infringing. Scouting reports say Big, powerful winger, charges hard to the net, plays a tough, no-nonsense, direct inside game. Has one of the best shots in the draft. Deceptive release in a wide array of options. That sneaky, where the hell did it come from release that the youngster like Matthews are doing these day. His dad is a long time SHL coach so he’s got good guidance and bloodlines. Seems the downside is vision and playmaking. Tunnel vision. Sounds like a Swedish Chris Kreider to me.

rt

May 13, 2004
I found this post of mine from last July 7th:

Regardless of league, as I’m getting older and grumpier and more stubborn, I really just want to see a few things from forward (ideally center) prospects, these days:

1) do they work hard to generate turnovers, are they a hound? [Y/N]

2) do they look to dump at the blueline or drop pass back into the neutral zone or do they skate the puck into the offensive zone with possession? [Y/N]

3) do they stick to the perimeter when they gain the zone, or are they inside players that put their shoulder down, and take the puck directly to the net? [Y/N]

Basically I want to see guys who at the very least, just as a cost of entry, generate Takeaways, are top Controlled Zone Entry producers, and top generators of Shots and High Danger Chances.

If I can get 3 Yesses on the above, then you can talk to me about their skating, vision, IQ, size, strength, hands and shot. Rank them based on those qualities from there.

But I need at least one guy on every line in my system from the NHL to the ECHL that can do those three bare minimum things consistently and effectively. And that’s never going to change. In my eyes that’s a constant.

I'd add a 4th, now; "4) Does he assertively, and enthusiastically respond to physical challenges from the opposition?"

Basically I want to see guys who at the very least, just as a cost of entry, generate Takeaways, are top Controlled Zone Entry producers, and top generators of Shots and High Danger Chances, and play the game with BALLS.

That's the team I want to build. One with at least one of those guys on every line (with varying levels of skill). If I'm drafting a forward, I'm only drafting forwards that fit that criteria. Everything else is negotiable.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think your entire bottom six needs to be a yes to those 4 questions. I feel like cup contending teams always get good play out of their bottom six because they're basically looking for the highest motor for the cheapest price. Fischer and Crouse are not consistent and do not go to the net. Brassard is completely out of gas. Hunt and Bunting have come in and looked better than those guys because they check all those boxes.

Johan Larsson has been the best Coyote the last few games and one of the best forwards out there, but he costs less than $2m. It's pretty much all revolves around his ability to generate turnovers. Can he beat a goalie straight up from the faceoff circle? No, not really. But he'll keep the puck in the zone forever. This has created a surprising synergy with Kessel.

I have always wondered what a team of 12 takeaway artists would look like.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Yep, we need Puck Hounds, Puck Hounds and some brutality that goes along w/that

I think they were expecting Crouse to take a top 6 spot, but with his poor hands, I don't think he'll make it, but I still think he'd be a cheap 3rd line alternative with the right Center

Reactions: RemoAZ

rt

May 13, 2004
4th suspension of the year for L’Heureaux. Really hope this drops him to the CBJ pick:

^ there’s the play. Love it.

Give me him at the CBJ pick and Boucher with our 2nd. New Bash Brothers. Let’s undo the deep rooted p***yfication of this franchise at the hands of that bitch Chayka.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Zachary L’Heureaux gets his 4th suspension of this short season. Sure hope this drops him to the CBJ pick. Would love to pick up a be next Comtois because he’s just too much of a menace right now.

I think he’s a first rounder. Probably top 20. Reminds me of the Tkachuk bros.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
This whole draft will be unpredictable. It's not a great class to begin with plus so many guys have played so few games. And then how do you quantify a guy like L'Heureux who has played the same five teams over and over all year?

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Haven't started watching too many prospects games yet but I have seen Ryan st.louis play a few times now this year and I like the idea of him if he's available in the late 3rd or 4th round

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
4th suspension of the year for L’Heureaux. Really hope this drops him to the CBJ pick:

^ there’s the play. Love it.

Give me him at the CBJ pick and Boucher with our 2nd. New Bash Brothers. Let’s undo the deep rooted p***yfication of this franchise at the hands of that bitch Chayka.

I still don't understand the obsession with the idea that our former GM tried to turn our draft picks into a bunch of p***yes.

If anything, Garland is the least, uhhh, feminine (I couldn't think of a better term, lol) of draft picks, even with short stature.

I understand what is being implied - why not get a player in the far later rounds to try and get that done? But, I also think that if a player has that mix of both skill and grit, they are the unicorn that isn't available with every selection.

We can find free agents like Hayden or others to fit this situation. To me, taking a chance on a 6th round player because in 5 or 6 years, he may be the type to play 25 games and be the protector is poor asset management. We are counting on their development for one need only, which will take considerable time, and if the skill set is not there to be an NHL player, then how much did we help ourselves? For where we pick at, the risk is that we take that type of player early, and miss out on the player that can help. It almost seems like that was the thought process when we took Fischer over Aho at #32 in 2015. Fischer seemed like the power forward type, but Aho would mean more for the future and quality of the team.

To me, there are few players in a draft that it makes sense to push ahead on a draft board, simply because they can do that. Save that for FA, player try-outs, or look for an undrafted player to sign.

If we do go that route to find skill and grit, the two have to marry perfectly with our selection range. Right now, the players that would be available in the mid-2nd that seem to fit would be:

C Sam Helenius (appears to be in the 35-50 range, but players with size tend to move up draft boards, and not down)
D Roman Schmidt (25-40 range, but again, likely to move up and not down)
W Jayden Grubbe (appears to be closer to the 65-90 range, and based on the comments earlier, you would not be happy about taking someone 20-40 selections early)

Seems like a pick your poison type of scenario - we want players who have more grit, but they usually don't come with the skill set and we are better waiting until the late rounds to do so. If we do take that approach before the end of the 3rd round, a team is probably reaching for someone to do that, since the skill and grit combo don't equal up, and if they do, it is far more likely that this is a player who is 1st round material.

:dunno:

Hope this doesn't come off as some sort of troll with my avatar still as Chayka, but there is a downside to going in that direction as well, and not everything can be perfectly balanced to where we can get a "non-p***y" (call them a dick, haha) without the sacrifice of reaching or forgoing a greater talent.

rt

May 13, 2004
I still don't understand the obsession with the idea that our former GM tried to turn our draft picks into a bunch of p***yes.

If anything, Garland is the least, uhhh, feminine (I couldn't think of a better term, lol) of draft picks, even with short stature.

I understand what is being implied - why not get a player in the far later rounds to try and get that done? But, I also think that if a player has that mix of both skill and grit, they are the unicorn that isn't available with every selection.

We can find free agents like Hayden or others to fit this situation. To me, taking a chance on a 6th round player because in 5 or 6 years, he may be the type to play 25 games and be the protector is poor asset management. We are counting on their development for one need only, which will take considerable time, and if the skill set is not there to be an NHL player, then how much did we help ourselves? For where we pick at, the risk is that we take that type of player early, and miss out on the player that can help. It almost seems like that was the thought process when we took Fischer over Aho at #32 in 2015. Fischer seemed like the power forward type, but Aho would mean more for the future and quality of the team.

To me, there are few players in a draft that it makes sense to push ahead on a draft board, simply because they can do that. Save that for FA, player try-outs, or look for an undrafted player to sign.

If we do go that route to find skill and grit, the two have to marry perfectly with our selection range. Right now, the players that would be available in the mid-2nd that seem to fit would be:

C Sam Helenius (appears to be in the 35-50 range, but players with size tend to move up draft boards, and not down)
D Roman Schmidt (25-40 range, but again, likely to move up and not down)
W Jayden Grubbe (appears to be closer to the 65-90 range, and based on the comments earlier, you would not be happy about taking someone 20-40 selections early)

Seems like a pick your poison type of scenario - we want players who have more grit, but they usually don't come with the skill set and we are better waiting until the late rounds to do so. If we do take that approach before the end of the 3rd round, a team is probably reaching for someone to do that, since the skill and grit combo don't equal up, and if they do, it is far more likely that this is a player who is 1st round material.

:dunno:

Hope this doesn't come off as some sort of troll with my avatar still as Chayka, but there is a downside to going in that direction as well, and not everything can be perfectly balanced to where we can get a "non-p***y" (call them a dick, haha) without the sacrifice of reaching or forgoing a greater talent.
The GM builds the roster. Look at the last three rosters. It’s not a mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad