2021 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Here are three random draft thoughts:

1. Obviously I think Beniers is just what we need and if here’s there, take him.

2. I think Brandt Clarke is going to be Dougie Hamilton 2.0. We can’t go wrong with him either.

3. Whatever we do, stay the hell away from Simon Edvinsson. I don’t get why he’s rated so high. I get Ristolainen-vibes when it comes to his Hockey IQ.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Helenius will be there with pick 32.

Pick 32 is way too early to draft him. I’d look at the later of the Habs (or whatever team’s pick they traded us for Staal) and Florida’s pick to draft him. He’s projected in the late 3rd.

So to me, it’s Beniers or Svechkov or Clarke with our 1st (depending on the Sabres pick and who gets picked before that happens) and Svechkov, Pastujov or Svozil with the Sabres 2nd (all can go in the 1st or fall to the 2nd) (all listed in order of my personal preference).

I'm not as sure about Helenius having much or at least enough offensive capabilities.

He has offensive skill. But whether he really uses that at the NHL level is another story. However if you get a 3C or 4C in the late 3rd or early 4th round, you can’t complain. This board bitches about losing Larsson, and he was a high 2nd rounder. Plus Helenius is 6’6 and over 200 pounds and he’s still a kid.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Pick 32 is way too early to draft him. I’d look at the later of the Habs (or whatever team’s pick they traded us for Staal) and Florida’s pick to draft him. He’s projected in the late 3rd.

So to me, it’s Beniers or Svechkov or Clarke with our 1st (depending on the Sabres pick and who gets picked before that happens) and Svechkov, Pastujov or Svozil with the Sabres 2nd (all can go in the 1st or fall to the 2nd) (all listed in order of my personal preference).

He has offensive skill. But whether he really uses that at the NHL level is another story. However if you get a 3C or 4C in the late 3rd or early 4th round, you can’t complain. This board bitches about losing Larsson, and he was a high 2nd rounder. Plus Helenius is 6’6 and over 200 pounds and he’s still a kid.

Larsson had more offensive upside imo. He produced well in lower leagues. It wasn't until the NHL that his offense fizzled out. I kinda expect even the NHL 3C types to be able to score in lower leagues at least.

But to be fair, Larsson broke out more in the U20s and his D+1 year in the SHL. Helenius is young but would have to take a big step offensively.

In the 3rd or 4th round yes to him, though.

Reactions: jc17

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020

I think you are being a little too hopeful with Helenius falling there.

McKenzie's recent list had him as a top-45 pick and is usually a fairly good indicator of where a player goes. GMs love centers with size who have proven well at the pro level. I bet he doesn't even make it to the Boston 2nd (and agreed on not touching him at 32 as much as I like him).

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Larsson had more offensive upside imo. He produced well in lower leagues. It wasn't until the NHL that his offense fizzled out. I kinda expect even the NHL 3C types to be able to score in lower leagues at least.

But to be fair, Larsson broke out more in the U20s and his D+1 year in the SHL. Helenius is young but would have to take a big step offensively.

In the 3rd or 4th round yes to him, though.

I know about Larsson’s offensive upside. I saw it as a steal from the Wild when we got him along with Hackett. But even that wasn’t seen as acquiring a 4C and (in best circumstances, topping out as a..) backup goalie. I was hoping we got a 2C and a starter. I mean, thankfully it was Moulson that was traded away to get them (who we promptly resigned and I promptly hated, but that was more the contract length than the price), but you don’t want a 4C with your 2nd rounder.

I think you are being a little too hopeful with Helenius falling there.

McKenzie's recent list had him as a top-45 pick and is usually a fairly good indicator of where a player goes. GMs love centers with size who have proven well at the pro level. I bet he doesn't even make it to the Boston 2nd (and agreed on not touching him at 32 as much as I like him).

I’m a Sabres fan. All I have is hope!! But yea, I can see him going around 45-50. Hopefully the Pens take out Boston so their 2nd is in the middle part of the 2nd, instead of later.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Where do you live? Togliatta or St. Petersburg?

The VHL is the second highest league in Russia (to my understanding), and they have grown men there. Obviously the best ones are in the KHL. But to me, the VHL is the Russian equivalent of our AHL.

And I assume the MHL is our equivalent to the ECHL.
St. Petersburg

From this perspective, yes, but the AHL is simply stronger than the VHL. I'm not sure that Svechkov will get a lot of time in SKA in the KHL, then they will probably send him to play in the VHL, although he might well be ready to play in the KHL.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
St. Petersburg

From this perspective, yes, but the AHL is simply stronger than the VHL. I'm not sure that Svechkov will get a lot of time in SKA in the KHL, then they will probably send him to play in the VHL, although he might well be ready to play in the KHL.
I think he'll fall into No Man's Land, not good enough for our 1st but gone before our 2nd

Reactions: JesterCheese

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think he'll fall into No Man's Land, not good enough for our 1st but gone before our 2nd
I think yes, but in theory Adams can get one more choice in the first round or even more than one in some trade, and Adams can do the same as in the case with Peterka, so I try to closely study all the players, even those who are predicted to leave in the middle of the first round.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018

So just to be sure iam reading correctly or was a spell check you would potentially take Svechkov as our first pick and you think potentially he can still be there with our 2nd pick,2nd round? That's a huge jump don't you think? I admit I know nothing about Svechkov

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
So just to be sure iam reading correctly or was a spell check you would potentially take Svechkov as our first pick and you think potentially he can still be there with our 2nd pick,2nd round? That's a huge jump don't you think? I admit I know nothing about Svechkov
He is an interesting player, but the top 5 is too much for him. Another thing is that he can easily gone in the range #10 - #40, he has certain skills and in the future he could become one of the best 3C in the league or even play on the wing in the top 6, possibly 2C.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Here are three random draft thoughts:

1. Obviously I think Beniers is just what we need and if here’s there, take him.

2. I think Brandt Clarke is going to be Dougie Hamilton 2.0. We can’t go wrong with him either.

3. Whatever we do, stay the hell away from Simon Edvinsson. I don’t get why he’s rated so high. I get Ristolainen-vibes when it comes to his Hockey IQ.
Stop stealing my material. I wrote all this in an earlier post.:D:laugh:

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
He is an interesting player, but the top 5 is too much for him. Another thing is that he can easily gone in the range #10 - #40, he has certain skills and in the future he could become one of the best 3C in the league or even play on the wing in the top 6, possibly 2C.
Damn it sounds like we should do everything to get back in first round to get him like Peterka last year

Reactions: JesterCheese

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'm good with you both, just as long as we all recognize that I was the lead engine on the Beniers train. Like months ago. :sarcasm::laugh:

If you were the lead engine, I was the 2nd car on the train. I was right behind you in seeing what the kid can be.

EDIT: And I'm not one to get on a bandwagon so soon, especially for draft picks. The last bandwagon I was firmly on was Chychrun.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

You read wrong. I think Helenius will be there with our 2nd pick in the 2nd round.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
After going through and watching as much Michigan as I can, I will confidently say, Kent Johnson will have the better career than Beniers. You need to be dynamic in today's NHL. Johnson has a lot of what you want to see in a top prospect.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
After going through and watching as much Michigan as I can, I will confidently say, Kent Johnson will have the better career than Beniers. You need to be dynamic in today's NHL. Johnson has a lot of what you want to see in a top prospect.

A lot of young dynamic players aren't able to carry that dynamism into the NHL since it's extremely difficult. To state the obvious. That's the big question with him.

What makes you so sure those skills will translate as a pro? Not disagreeing, just curious.

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo

Coming from a person that watches college games live Johnson is Invincible and has consistency issues
And is not annoying like Beniers
Johnson will end up in the ennis Category

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Where did you watch?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Johnson reminds me of Tim Connolly to a degree - puck wizard, great skater, exceptional skill level. But I don't see him factoring in defensively, nor being as effective along the boards or in tough ice areas.

Beniers reminds me of a faster version of ROR - competes in all areas of the ice, willing to go into all areas, non-stop motor. He'll likely be a "master-of-none" type of player, but his overall game translates to the NHL well.

Beniers strikes me as the player who will make the NHL and have a big impact, but it may not be the flashy, jump off the TV screen type of impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad