2021 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Why not? Top 3 picks get traded for NHL ready elite prospects with historical precedent. I'm not saying to force a deal but if one makes sense- go for it.

Most analysts say it's a weak draft, not just me saying that. I'd rather wait couple years/close to for a contributing player if he has term than wait 5 years for the player to even make a dent.

And if this deal does occur, let's see if they want Risto. If we add Risto with a top 1-3 overall pick, and maybe even say a prospect like Bryson, we'll get a lot more sweeteners and an actual haul.

Bryson + Miller/Risto + 3 OA + 2nd round pick = gets you something good and not that huge of a hit to the team--- as one of Miller, Jokiharju, Borgen can play minutes Risto won't play and McCabe, Dahlin, Samuelsson and Bryson on the left. I like Bryson but we have Johnson who is similar but will do it better likely. Bryson isn't a core player.

I love Risto and his physicality but I'd rather have a D who's better defensively with actual term. I wouldn't want to move Risto if not for his expiring status. Then I'd want to trade Miller instead. Risto is probably more valuable.

It actually makes more sense to trade him for a LD prospect in that case.

Bryson + Risto + Buffalo 2nd + top 3 pick gets you something elite. It'd be worth it and basically spare parts if it's a weak draft.

It's a risk because someone has to replace Risto's minutes- but I say a worth risk taking. We can get some seriously elite talent with that package IMO.
The top 10 players in this draft aren't weak.Its the depth of the draft that's supposedly weak but he'll they are 17 years old,who knows?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Why not? Top 3 picks get traded for NHL ready elite prospects with historical precedent. I'm not saying to force a deal but if one makes sense- go for it.

I'd love to see the historical precedent for a trade like that.

The Sharks did not knowingly give up the 3rd pick in 2020 in the Karlsson deal.

The Avs did not knowingly give up the 4th pick in 2019 in the Duchene deal.

Then you have to go all the way back to the 2010 draft and the 2OV pick going to Boston in the Kessel trade to find any deals involving a top 5 pick. These picks rarely get moved and they have not been moved for good young players in the last decade.

And none of those players were young players by any stretch.

Bryson + Risto + Buffalo 2nd + top 3 pick gets you something elite.

Only in NHL21.

Reactions: sabresEH

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
I'd love to see the historical precedent for a trade like that.

The Sharks did not knowingly give up the 3rd pick in 2020 in the Karlsson deal.

The Avs did not knowingly give up the 4th pick in 2019 in the Duchene deal.

Then you have to go all the way back to the 2010 draft and the 2OV pick going to Boston in the Kessel trade to find any deals involving a top 5 pick. These picks rarely get moved and they have not been moved for good young players in the last decade.

And none of those players were young players by any stretch.

Only in NHL21.
You're talking post-lockout. I'm not saying it's happened recently. Wouldn't you at least be open-minded to it if you're getting a U25 top 30-35 forward and not really losing too much if it's a weak draft? And the player you trade for is better than anyone who can be drafted?

I'm not saying it's likely, because it wouldn't be and it would be a unique circumstance, but if you're getting a major 1st liner under team control, I say go for it.

*And only in NHL21? Dude seriously what are you talking about? It's called a hockey trade. There's been way worse offers than that. What I suggested actually has decent value and most people would probably agree. Only in NHL21? What kind of response is that? Stick to videogames.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
You're talking post-lockout. I'm not saying it's happened recently. Wouldn't you at least be open-minded to it if you're getting a U25 top 30-35 forward and not really losing too much if it's a weak draft? And the player you trade for is better than anyone who can be drafted?

I'm not saying it's likely, because it wouldn't be and it would be a unique circumstance, but if you're getting a major 1st liner under team control, I say go for it.

I don't see why you would think that something that hasn't happened in the last decade would happen now.

And of course I would love for Adams to trade the pick for David Pastrnak. I just don't believe the Bruins have any interest whatsoever in a deal like that.

And I doubt too many Sabres fans are pounding the table for a top 3 pick for Laine deal.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Barzal + Horvat = Beniers

Speed, skating, IQ, playmaking, two-way game, competitiveness, perpetual motion motor. I don’t understand how some people don’t see this.

Safe choice. I remember how all those Buttons, Pronmanns and similar guys with their ratings put Lundell out of the top 10, which did not make sense.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Barzal + Horvat = Beniers

Speed, skating, IQ, playmaking, two-way game, competitiveness, perpetual motion motor. I don’t understand how some people don’t see this.

Safe choice. I remember how all those Buttons, Pronmanns and similar guys with their ratings put Lundell out of the top 10, which did not make sense.

He plays very small to me. Reminds me of Hughes in NJ. I just don't see elite skills. I see a lot of little things that are nice, but not 1st overall caliber.

Reactions: Fearnot

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I don't think he ever becomes a superstar. I think his absolute best case scenario is a bit south of Toews' peak. I also think his floor is super-high. With even a slight bit of development, I think he's easily a long-term two-way 2C in the NHL who has Selke potential.

How does he compare to Lundell is people’s eyes, as far as ceiling, knowing how Lundell has been progressing?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
How does he compare to Lundell is people’s eyes, as far as ceiling, knowing how Lundell has been progressing?

Beniers has a higher amount of natural talent than Lundell has. They do play a similar style of game, though I think Beniers is faster and skates better.

Ceiling? Lundell has always had Barkov-esque vibes while Beniers is Toews-esque. I don't think either one of them reaches their comparable though. Lundell probably maxes as a very good 2c while Beniers maxes at a low-end 1C.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
They are both similar and slightly different. Both are two good two-way centers with high IQ and hard work. But Beniers has a better skating and a perpetual motor, Lundell has a better shot. I think any of them can become 1C, though not an elite superstar.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

You know how I liked Lundell in his draft year?

He’s not even close to the prospect Beniers is.

Lundell is a lesser version of Barkov. 2C upside, two way player, high IQ.

Beniers has 1C upside because he’s a far superior skater and is more tenacious. Beniers could be a faster version of ROR.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
You know how I liked Lundell in his draft year?

He’s not even close to the prospect Beniers is.

Lundell is a lesser version of Barkov. 2C upside, two way player, high IQ.

Beniers has 1C upside because he’s a far superior skater and is more tenacious. Beniers could be a faster version of ROR.
How fleeting is his love of the game though?

Reactions: ClassicBusiness

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I know nothing about these prospects, but the way you all talk about Beniers makes him sound a lot like the way we talked about Reinhart his draft year. Especially the "faster ROR" comp.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Why does this forum develop a flat out unhealthy obsession with a particular prospect every single year? It's always a centre too...

You guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment...

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Why does this forum develop a flat out unhealthy obsession with a particular prospect every single year? It's always a centre too...

Agreed on the setting ourselves up for disappointment.

The consensus polls on these forums do a better job drafting than the Sabres do the past 4 or 5 years.

And it's not always a center. We fell in love with Cale Makar pre draft. We wanted Sergachev or Chychrun over Nylander.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

Most drafts have a bunch of good players but only a few guys that really excel. If you think you know who the few to really excel are, it makes sense to focus on them.

And I don't know that there's an obsession with 1 guy every year. Last year most people liked rossi, but lundell and raymond got a ton of hype too. The year before that, most liked turcotte, but there was definitely a divide among caufield, zegras, krebs.

I don't really see a consistent obsession

Reactions: JesterCheese
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad