2021 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Honestly, I am torn between Beniers and Clarke at the moment. Clarke has really separated himself from Power/Hughes to me recently.

Beniers is what I have dreamed of to have as a 2C...the perfect guy to have behind an Eichel type. He can become that two-way 1C that wins you cups, but not totally comfortable projecting him there if/when Eichel moves.

If Eichel and Reinhart are indeed moved on the other hand, we will be a bottom team in the next two very forward/center top heavy drafts. A Wright/Bedard/Savoie/Etc. -Cozens center spine with Dahlin and Clarke controlling their own pairs in the top-4 sounds like another way to build a contender.

Can see the argument for either depending on what happens before draft day with both being pretty equal in my mind, but I definitely hope we draft 2/3 and take one of those 2 instead of the others.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Honestly, I am torn between Beniers and Clarke at the moment. Clarke has really separated himself from Power/Hughes to me recently.

Beniers is what I have dreamed of to have as a 2C...the perfect guy to have behind an Eichel type. He can become that two-way 1C that wins you cups, but not totally comfortable projecting him there if/when Eichel moves.

If Eichel and Reinhart are indeed moved on the other hand, we will be a bottom team in the next two very forward/center top heavy drafts. A Wright/Bedard/Savoie/Etc. -Cozens center spine with Dahlin and Clarke controlling their own pairs in the top-4 sounds like another way to build a contender.

Can see the argument for either depending on what happens before draft day with both being pretty equal in my mind, but I definitely hope we draft 2/3 and take one of those 2 instead of the others.

Dude, don't over-think it or place too much into future drafts. The Sabres have Mittelstadt and Cozens going forward. Add in Beniers, and probably another impact center from the Eichel trade (Turcotte?), and the center rebuild is over and complete.

Between those 3 (4?), the Sabres don't have the McDavid, Matthews, Crosby star power at center. But they'd have a construct a lot like Boston, Carolina, and St. Louis, with a bunch of centers who could be top ten in the league at some point but won't ever be that superstar performer.

I'll easily take ROR, Schenn, Thomas, Barbashev, ....or Aho, Staal, Trocheck.... or Bergeron, Krecji, Kuraly.... or Schiefle, PLD, Lowry.

That's what Turcotte - Mittelstadt - Beniers - Cozens could be.

Reactions: Eich Jackel

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I'm on the Eklund Express. I think he's the most NHL ready of any prospect and he could step in as soon as next season and have an impact.
Alternatively trade the pick for a proven NHL player.

Orange Fanta

Jun 22, 2016
The lottery count does not start until next season.

Also, the last place team winning the lottery does not count as a win for purposes of the new “two lottery wins in a five year span” rule.
Thanks for clearing that up for me, only thing that would make this nightmare worth would be if we could land wright, bedard and michkov probably not gonna happen but this franchise is a nightmare so I'd rather be in dreamland.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Dude, don't over-think it or place too much into future drafts. The Sabres have Mittelstadt and Cozens going forward. Add in Beniers, and probably another impact center from the Eichel trade (Turcotte?), and the center rebuild is over and complete.

Between those 3 (4?), the Sabres don't have the McDavid, Matthews, Crosby star power at center. But they'd have a construct a lot like Boston, Carolina, and St. Louis, with a bunch of centers who could be top ten in the league at some point but won't ever be that superstar performer.

I'll easily take ROR, Schenn, Thomas, Barbashev, ....or Aho, Staal, Trocheck.... or Bergeron, Krecji, Kuraly.... or Schiefle, PLD, Lowry.

Some fair points...but don’t we need defensemen too? They take longer to develop so you could argue that it’s smarter to take one now, at the beginning of our new rebuild

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Some fair points...but don’t we need defensemen too? They take longer to develop so you could argue that it’s smarter to take one now, at the beginning of our new rebuild

True. But I also think acquiring defensemen is easier than centers. The Sabres already have at least two top 4 defenders in Dahlin and Jokiharju, with Dahlin as a franchise centerpiece. I think Samuelsson will also be a top 4 defender.

Getting high end centers takes high draft picks, good organizational luck and ability in drafting later in the draft and developing, or a team to trade one, which is never cheap.

While Buffalo's got the top 3 pick, take the center, and go after defenders another route.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020

Probably right with me going to deep into it. But point is, in terms of value, Beniers and Clarke is a toss up for me right now and I think either one would be great. But also very different in how this team may be constructed.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'm trying to conceive a scenario where Beniers is on the board for our selection and I'm OK with not picking him.

The only thing I can come up with is something catastrophic (injury or personal details being the big 2 here)

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I'm trying to conceive a scenario where Beniers is on the board for our selection and I'm OK with not picking him.

The only thing I can come up with is something catastrophic (injury or personal details being the big 2 here)
Do we need to get a photo of him in his pyjamas?

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
Do we need to get a photo of him in his pyjamas?
I assume that’s a reference to this?
upload_2021-5-12_20-13-50.jpeg

Reactions: HaNotsri

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
If it's a weak draft I say just trade the pick for an elite/top 5 OA quality, more proven prospect/player who'll make the team better now. (20ish-23ish yrs. old on ELC ideally)

The perceived value of the pick might be more than the actual value of the pick. Throw in Risto/Miller for a RH d prospect along with it (ED exempt) or just to balance things out for a more favorable return.

Due to term- Risto would have to be exposed. Should not be at expense of younger players with more term. He should be traded for assets ASAP so he's not lost for nothing, even if not for full value. Better than getting nothing. And I'm Risto's biggest proponent.

If not a RH D, I want a young playmaking forward prospect on an ELC for Risto who isn't projected to be as good of a forward as Risto is as good of a D to make things fair. But snag the one with the highest ceiling and make it work.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If it's a weak draft I say just trade the pick for an elite/top 5 OA quality, more proven prospect/player who'll make the team better now. (20ish-23ish yrs. old on ELC ideally)

The Sabres don't know some secret about the quality of this year's draft.

I doubt that kind of player gets offered up by a team for the Sabres' pick.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
The Sabres don't know some secret about the quality of this year's draft.

I doubt that kind of player gets offered up by a team for the Sabres' pick.
Why not? Top 3 picks get traded for NHL ready elite prospects with historical precedent. I'm not saying to force a deal but if one makes sense- go for it.

Most analysts say it's a weak draft, not just me saying that. I'd rather wait couple years/close to for a contributing player if he has term than wait 5 years for the player to even make a dent.

And if this deal does occur, let's see if they want Risto. If we add Risto with a top 1-3 overall pick, and maybe even say a prospect like Bryson, we'll get a lot more sweeteners and an actual haul.

Bryson + Miller/Risto + 3 OA + 2nd round pick = gets you something good and not that huge of a hit to the team--- as one of Miller, Jokiharju, Borgen can play minutes Risto won't play and McCabe, Dahlin, Samuelsson and Bryson on the left. I like Bryson but we have Johnson who is similar but will do it better likely. Bryson isn't a core player.

I love Risto and his physicality but I'd rather have a D who's better defensively with actual term. I wouldn't want to move Risto if not for his expiring status. Then I'd want to trade Miller instead. Risto is probably more valuable.

It actually makes more sense to trade him for a LD prospect in that case.

Bryson + Risto + Buffalo 2nd + top 3 pick gets you something elite. It'd be worth it and basically spare parts if it's a weak draft.

It's a risk because someone has to replace Risto's minutes- but I say a worth risk taking. We can get some seriously elite talent with that package IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad