2021 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
That'd be an unreal near impossible haul, and I dont even like kent johnson too much.

You should see this one I just pulled:

upload_2021-6-29_12-37-54.png

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Definitely possible. Which is the best way to get both? Cuelemans at nine and hope for Morrow at 41? Or trade down a couple spots from nine to move up pick 41 to a spot where Morris will hopefully still be there? Could we get Ceulemans at 15ish and Morrow at 30ish?

Much like how Sieder was drafted within the top 10, I can see the same thing happening to Ceulemans.

This year is a total crapshoot and all it takes one team to like a 6'2 RH offensive defenceman that did well at world juniors and committed to an excellent college program.

Reactions: HockeyNightInAsia

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I ran 50 simulations @ Draftprospecthockey (half on reg and half on Mackenzie) + my list of guys I'd prefer the Nucks went with and I had the following top 5 for each Canuck pick (I'll just show top 5 picks) along with number of times they were there:

Pick # 9:
1. LW, William Eklund = 22 times
2. C/RW, Kent Johnson = 11 times
3. C, Mason McTavish = 8 times
4. LD, Simon Edvinsson = 6 times
5. RD, Brandt Clarke = 3 times

Pick # 40:
1. RD, Scott Morrow = 14 times
2. RD, Logan Maulloux = 6 times
3. RW, Samu Tuomaala = 5 times
4. RW, Simon Robertson = 4 times
5. C, Logan Stankoven = 3 times

Pick # 70:
1. LD, Guillaume Richard = 6 times
2. RW, Prokhor Poltapov = 4 times
3. LD, Aleksi Malinen = 4 times
4. LD, Brent Johnson = 3 times
5. LD, Ethan Del Mastro = 3 times

Pick # 136:
1. RW, Connor Kurth = 5 times
2. RD, Victor Sjoholm = 4 times
3. LD, Valtteri Koskela = 3 times

Pick #139 (less guys from 136):
1. RD, Jonathan Myrenberg = 10 times
2. LD, Tyson Hinds = 5 times
3. RD, Jake Martin = 5 times

Top 5 picks of Eklund, Morrow, Richard, Kurth and Myrenberg would be a nice haul.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Reading around as much as I can and I think this 1st round will surprise quite a bit.

My current take from reading around:

Pick #1, Buffalo takes Owen Powers
- The Org seems too nervous to make any type of even perceived gamble

Pick #2, Seattle takes Matt Beniers
- It's Ron Francis... Beniers just seems to fit as a center, first prospect ever and the best true center in the draft

Pick #3, Anahiem takes Mason McTavish
- This one will be where people are shocked I think but NHL Central Scouting now has McTavish rated higher than Beniers and the combo of size and position ... I feel like Anahiem will believe they are getting a future Getzlaf replacement

Pick #4, New Jersey takes Luke Hughes
- This one seems like a no brainer to me, from marketing to positional need.

Pick #5, Columbus takes Brandt Clarke
- I waffled with this one but since it appears Seth Jones wants out of CBJ and their Forward pool is quite young I think CBJ goes with the top RH D-man in the draft.

Pick #6, Detroit takes Simon Edvinsson
- Another that I think will come as a surprise but I think Detroit has taken quite a lot of scoring wingers and has a load of talent. What they need is some strong D and Seider was a step in that direction. Edvinsson can help them round out a d-core.

Pick #7, San Jose takes Jesper Wallstedt, G
- A club that has never taken a goalie before the 3rd round... but they have also struggled mightily with goaltending consistency for many years. Their fans are the first I read who welcomed the idea and it seems to be being talked about as a real possibility for either San Jose or LA.

After Wallstedt that would leave Eklund, Guether, Johnson, Lysell still around for LA, Van, Otw, Chi who I think will take those 4 in some order.

Reactions: Catamarca Livin

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Reading around as much as I can and I think this 1st round will surprise quite a bit.

My current take from reading around:

Pick #1, Buffalo takes Owen Powers
- The Org seems too nervous to make any type of even perceived gamble

Pick #2, Seattle takes Matt Beniers
- It's Ron Francis... Beniers just seems to fit as a center, first prospect ever and the best true center in the draft

Pick #3, Anahiem takes Mason McTavish
- This one will be where people are shocked I think but NHL Central Scouting now has McTavish rated higher than Beniers and the combo of size and position ... I feel like Anahiem will believe they are getting a future Getzlaf replacement

Pick #4, New Jersey takes Luke Hughes
- This one seems like a no brainer to me, from marketing to positional need.

Pick #5, Columbus takes Brandt Clarke
- I waffled with this one but since it appears Seth Jones wants out of CBJ and their Forward pool is quite young I think CBJ goes with the top RH D-man in the draft.

Pick #6, Detroit takes Simon Edvinsson
- Another that I think will come as a surprise but I think Detroit has taken quite a lot of scoring wingers and has a load of talent. What they need is some strong D and Seider was a step in that direction. Edvinsson can help them round out a d-core.

Pick #7, San Jose takes Jesper Wallstedt, G
- A club that has never taken a goalie before the 3rd round... but they have also struggled mightily with goaltending consistency for many years. Their fans are the first I read who welcomed the idea and it seems to be being talked about as a real possibility for either San Jose or LA.

After Wallstedt that would leave Eklund, Guether, Johnson, Lysell still around for LA, Van, Otw, Chi who I think will take those 4 in some order.

That...actually makes a lot of sense. And if we had a shot at either Eklund or Guenther I'd be floating.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
That...actually makes a lot of sense. And if we had a shot at either Eklund or Guenther I'd be floating.

At the end of a few days of thinking about it I tried to play the "what if I was a GM?" I ran into the same problem where I kind of like all of the top 10-12 guys in one way or another but the separation this year is so small compared to most years.

When in doubt I figured GMs would return to the norm of taking Centers, Size and mobility/smart defense before the small skilled wingers. Wallstedt being the wildcard as he might be the most truly skilled (for his position) in the draft.

While I think the Nucks need D I think they will get a good winger at their spot no matter what in Eklund, Guenther, Lysell or Johnson.

Reactions: MarkMM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad