2021 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Quick summary of two of the top ranked goaltenders:

G Jesper Wallstedt,6'3"212lbs (Lulea,SHL): 22gp/ 2.23GAA/ .908. Played 2 games at the World Juniors, putting up a 2.40GAA, and .923%. In 2019-20, he was the youngest goalie to ever play in the SHL, and aquitted himself very well. Calm, cool, collected, excellent positionally, with superb timing. Smooth, effortless lateral movement, and relies on solid technique and supreme poise under pressure. Play awareness is elite-he's always scanning the ice, preparing to change position to make the next save. Plays the puck well, rarely making mistakes. Excellent angles, great rebound control, solid glove. Only nitpick is that he can sometimes play too deep in his net, and get beaten high. Elite prospect, perhaps a notch below Askarov. He'll go top-10.

G Sebastian Cossa,6'6"212lbs (Edmonton, WHL): 19gp/ 1.57GAA/ .941%. I read that he's closer to 6'8". Highly consistent, his poise and approach is always the same. Athletic, and always in position-he never has to scramble, or make a reactionary save-his movements always seem pre-planned. Quick feet, fantastic lateral movement, and fast in going up and down in the butterfly. Great glove, and huge wingspan. Like Wallstedt, his vision and tracking are elite, and he gobbles up rebounds. Needs some work on his five-hole, which on a player his size with such long legs, is huge-not a big concern though, he's still better in that area than most. He'll go between picks 15-20, as he won't get past Edmonton.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Quick summary of two of the top ranked goaltenders:

G Jesper Wallstedt,6'3"212lbs (Lulea,SHL): 22gp/ 2.23GAA/ .908. Played 2 games at the World Juniors, putting up a 2.40GAA, and .923%. In 2019-20, he was the youngest goalie to ever play in the SHL, and aquitted himself very well. Calm, cool, collected, excellent positionally, with superb timing. Smooth, effortless lateral movement, and relies on solid technique and supreme poise under pressure. Play awareness is elite-he's always scanning the ice, preparing to change position to make the next save. Plays the puck well, rarely making mistakes. Excellent angles, great rebound control, solid glove. Only nitpick is that he can sometimes play too deep in his net, and get beaten high. Elite prospect, perhaps a notch below Askarov. He'll go top-10.

G Sebastian Cossa,6'6"212lbs (Edmonton, WHL): 19gp/ 1.57GAA/ .941%. I read that he's closer to 6'8". Highly consistent, his poise and approach is always the same. Athletic, and always in position-he never has to scramble, or make a reactionary save-his movements always seem pre-planned. Quick feet, fantastic lateral movement, and fast in going up and down in the butterfly. Great glove, and huge wingspan. Like Wallstedt, his vision and tracking are elite, and he gobbles up rebounds. Needs some work on his five-hole, which on a player his size with such long legs, is huge-not a big concern though, he's still better in that area than most. He'll go between picks 15-20, as he won't get past Edmonton.
I kinda want Cossa if we can grab him in the second round.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Clark wasn't around when the Canucks traded for Markstrom (and, by all accounts, Clark and Markstrom had a pretty touchy relationship).

He was on Halford and Brough a few weeks ago and explicitly said Ben Bishop's height worked against him.
Tend to agree.....Clark likes his goalies in the 6'3" or 6'4" range with long limbs and maximum flexibility.

It's interesting that Clark and Markstrom had to completely remake his game after he arrived from the Panthers via Utica. He completely changed his style, basically because he had to, to stay in the NHL He was considered a bust with Florida, and people tend to forget that Markstrom was actually on waivers one year, when the Canucks sent him to the AHL early in training camp. Any team in the league could have claimed him.

So good on Markstrom for being willing to totally remake his game and earn himself a $6m a season over six year contract with the Flames.

But losing Clark as his goalie coach, it perfectly logical to question whether he'll ever be as good in Calgary as he was in VanCity.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
I mean Zegras would have be great but we need Podz typer player more then we need a Zegras type player. Its interesting that a lot of scouts are not big on Clarke skating ability, this seems like a red flag to me.

I know people dont like Evidsson for various reasons but we need him more then a Johnson type player. If all things were equal I would trade down into the high teens and try and get a couple more picks.
This is ridiculous. We don't need a certain type of player. We need a GOOD player. Zegras is looking like he's going to become an all-star tier player.

This reminds me of reading countless posts here saying we need a player like Virtanen as opposed to Nylander. It's absurd.

Last edited:

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
I am actually OK if Nucks draft either Wallstedt or Cossa at 9th. (Come on, if Cossa falls to the 41st pick it's more a "Why isn't anyone draft Kole Lind?" territory, something must be wrong.)

Of course, one question is which of the so-called top 9 would you not take if he slips. Personally I don't want Johnson at all (Nucks aren't the kind of developer that Johnson needs), neutral on McTavish, would take Luke Hughes in a heart beat (fat chance). Clarke is interesting case to me, I am quite worried of his skating (and I could see him slipping because of that) but Nucks is known to be able to fix this aspect before.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
I am actually OK if Nucks draft either Wallstedt or Cossa at 9th. (Come on, if Cossa falls to the 41st pick it's more a "Why isn't anyone draft Kole Lind?" territory, something must be wrong.)

Of course, one question is which of the so-called top 9 would you not take if he slips. Personally I don't want Johnson at all (Nucks aren't the kind of developer that Johnson needs), neutral on McTavish, would take Luke Hughes in a heart beat (fat chance). Clarke is interesting case to me, I am quite worried of his skating (and I could see him slipping because of that) but Nucks is known to be able to fix this aspect before.

I wouldn't take either Wallstedt or Cossa at 9th not because of a hard rule against drafting goalies but there's enough good players in the top 10 that A LITTLE bit of draft by position slips in.

Reactions: F A N

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
No to a goalie at 9.

Just wait for the faller. There’s bound to be one especially if Wally goes before 9 and/or a riser is taken I.e Macintosh Apple

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011

One of the two goalies at 9 isn’t what I would like to see but it’s not like we aren’t getting a total stud blue chip prospect if we went that route....,there certainly is merit to going for a goalie at 9, in fact an arguement can be made that Wally is BPA with a faller or two still there, but the organization despite its best efforts is strong enough at goal to not warrant this

I honestly can’t wait for the draft

Reactions: HockeyNightInAsia

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
One of the two goalies at 9 isn’t what I would like to see but it’s not like we aren’t getting a total stud blue chip prospect if we went that route....,there certainly is merit to going for a goalie at 9, in fact an arguement can be made that Wally is BPA with a faller or two still there, but the organization despite its best efforts is strong enough at goal to not warrant this

I honestly can’t wait for the draft

I don't disagree. I just don't quite adhere to this consensus top 9 idea -- why must everyone go along with the same consensus, especially when Nucks are known to have strength and weaknesses in their player development? For non-goalies I prefer McTavish Svechkov or even Ceulemans over Johnson, that's just me.

But I think the "drafting too many goalies" point is over-emphasized. I mean, did drafting Askarov prevent Saros from becoming better?

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Had not run a Sim in some time and I kind of love this group of picks:

upload_2021-6-29_4-48-36.png

Top 20 in the sim:

1. Power
2. Clarke
3. Hughes
4. Beniers
5. Eklund
6. Johnson
7. Guenther
8. Lucius
9. Edvinsson**
10. Lysell
11. McTavish
12. Svechkov
13. Stankoven
14. L'Heureux
15. Bolduc
16. Wallstedt
17. Raty
18. Ceulemans
19. Coronato
20. Sillinger

Edvinsson and Morrow provide a good pair of offensive d-men with some size...

Koivunen is a smart winger... Tschigerl is a gritty, two-way leader.

Martin is a defense first Right-handed d-man who played this year mainly on the left side (but can play right side).

Orr is a net-front center who scores a lot in dirty areas and is good at tipping pucks.

Guryev and Geci I like the idea of as they both have size and skill but didn't play in 2021 due to shut-downs and covid.

Reactions: DFAC

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008

View attachment 450279

Top 20 in the sim:

1. Power
2. Clarke
3. Hughes
4. Beniers
5. Eklund
6. Johnson
7. Guenther
8. Lucius
9. Edvinsson**
10. Lysell
11. McTavish
12. Svechkov
13. Stankoven
14. L'Heureux
15. Bolduc
16. Wallstedt
17. Raty
18. Ceulemans
19. Coronato
20. Sillinger

Martin is a defense first Right-handed d-man who played this year mainly on the left side (but can play right side).

Orr is a net-front center who scores a lot in dirty areas and is good at tipping pucks.

Guryev and Geci I like the idea of as they both have size and skill but didn't play in 2021 due to shut-downs and covid.

Cool, I gave it a try and got this:

Untitled.png

Top 10 went as follows:

Clarke
Power
Hughes
Johnson
Beniers
Guenther
Lysell
Chibikrov
Eklund
Svechkov

For those who want to have a play the site is draftsim

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
If we leave the draft with Cuelmans and Morrow then I think Canucks defence prospect depth woes are solved.

Reactions: Fatass

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
The Canucks are a dozen or so better players away from being a contender: for real.

Let us see what a "dozen" players looks like.

1st line - 3 players
2nd line - 3 players
3rd line - 3 players
4th line - 3 players

total= 12 players.

I think you're cheering for the wrong team man. With that kinda faith, it might be time for you to move on.

Reactions: F A N

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If we leave the draft with Cuelmans and Morrow then I think Canucks defence prospect depth woes are solved.
Definitely possible. Which is the best way to get both? Cuelemans at nine and hope for Morrow at 41? Or trade down a couple spots from nine to move up pick 41 to a spot where Morris will hopefully still be there? Could we get Ceulemans at 15ish and Morrow at 30ish?

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York

View attachment 450279

Top 20 in the sim:

1. Power
2. Clarke
3. Hughes
4. Beniers
5. Eklund
6. Johnson
7. Guenther
8. Lucius
9. Edvinsson**
10. Lysell
11. McTavish
12. Svechkov
13. Stankoven
14. L'Heureux
15. Bolduc
16. Wallstedt
17. Raty
18. Ceulemans
19. Coronato
20. Sillinger

What site are you using to run that sim? I haven’t seen that before

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad