2021 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Only if we can get like a next years first in the process. Maybe even next years first and a prospect. Giving up a huge load of Options moving that far down.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Just a little tid bit. This Rachel Doerrie person who works for Eliteprospect is the second person know who has said Hughes had some major attitude to go along with his injury

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Not sure how to reply now that other thread is closed but in response to docbenton who seems high on johnson

The point is that few players even play in the NCAA in their draft year. It's a higher level than most draft-eligibles are expected to play at, and the relative pace of play he's being compared against is higher. It's like being upset that a 16 yo is "getting away with" things in major junior, when you should be recognizing that this is player is actually ahead of the curve in terms of how much success they are having.

Another guy who I think will garner top 10 consideration who isn't being talked about much yet is Coronato. I think he has some serious fans out there.

A 2nd-mid round target to look at would be Logan Mailloux, huge RHD who really took a big step forward this year and seems to be really good already in all the key areas despite being somewhat raw."

I do agree I heard people say that about guys like zegras, he will never pull this off against better competition, I get what you are saying because i argued if he can do that against his peers, its still equally impressive. But you also have to look at the tools, and what is he elite at and what is he deficient at, to me scouting is not so easy, you mention similar production to zegras, but you have to look at so much more or drafting in general would be easier. I just dont like johnsons pace of play, and I think he takes to long to make decisions with the puck, yes fantastic production playing games when i seen him with the excellent 2 way matt berniers who I would take in the top 2, but you have to look at the tools as well, and i think he is deficient in those areas and it will be hard to correct. If he can correct all those issues you have a very skilled player, but I just dont like enough of his game.

He could prove me wrong, he certainly has the stick handling ability and shot, but i also haven't seen him keep moving his feet and being able to stick handle at high speeds like someone such as zegras, who I had in my top 3 during that draft. With zegras he moved well, he played good defensively, he could skate well, he was a wizard with the puck, he blew me away in my viewings (as did pettersson), i just dont see that with johnson. With that said given our options if someone like eklund is long gone (and i assume he will be but the draft always surprises me especially in a covid season) if our options are not great, maybe you take a flyer on him? Id feel more confident if brackett was still around making that pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanuckCity

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Not sure how to reply now that other thread is closed but in response to docbenton who seems high on johnson

I do agree I heard people say that about guys like zegras, he will never pull this off against better competition, I get what you are saying because i argued if he can do that against his peers, its still equally impressive. But you also have to look at the tools, and what is he elite at and what is he deficient at, to me scouting is not so easy, you mention similar production to zegras, but you have to look at so much more or drafting in general would be easier. I just dont like johnsons pace of play, and I think he takes to long to make decisions with the puck, yes fantastic production playing games when i seen him with the excellent 2 way matt berniers who I would take in the top 2, but you have to look at the tools as well, and i think he is deficient in those areas and it will be hard to correct. If he can correct all those issues you have a very skilled player, but I just dont like enough of his game.

He could prove me wrong, he certainly has the stick handling ability and shot, but i also haven't seen him keep moving his feet and being able to stick handle at high speeds like someone such as zegras, who I had in my top 3 during that draft. With zegras he moved well, he played good defensively, he could skate well, he was a wizard with the puck, he blew me away in my viewings (as did pettersson), i just dont see that with johnson. With that said given our options if someone like eklund is long gone (and i assume he will be but the draft always surprises me especially in a covid season) if our options are not great, maybe you take a flyer on him? Id feel more confident if brackett was still around making that pick.

Thank You for your insights, I like when a poster can back up what they believe and don’t get all cranky about a difference of an opinion, my question is I’ve heard really good things about his motor and compete level, a guy who doesn’t anything to win, I was getting Lockwood vibes but with high end skill, you are reporting he doesn’t move the feet enough, are the two reports contradictory to each other or does he play a bit like Stankos in the sense that he looks like a lazy player without the puck but is picking his spots
Cheers

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I would consider landing Brandt Clarke at any draft position "winning the lottery".
Doesn't the skating concern you? To me, he doesn't seem that fast but his agility/edges seem okay. I think every other D-man in the 1st round is a better skater than him

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Doesn't the skating concern you? To me, he doesn't seem that fast but his agility/edges seem okay. I think every other D-man in the 1st round is a better skater than him
I don’t watch prospects ever.

Skating forward vs being able to pivot in tight situations/skate backwards are different things and I really only care about the latter.

Moving forward means absolutely f*** all to me.

Is clarke’s skating bad when trying to pivot to keep up with the play or when trying to gain speed and move forward fast?

If it’s the latter, I really don’t care

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I read Clarke is knock kneed and that's why he has trouble at times with his outside edges and skating.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
This pick or the 2022 pick will be traded, book it
Benning has 2 years to make the playoffs since his job is on the line he will go full 2011 and sell everything just to get a sniff of playoffs to save his own ass.

Bennings trades away the 2022 1st like he did with Miller but this time he didn't luck out the player he trades for gives a Loui level effort. Canucks to miss the playoffs and go full SJS dive with our 1st would end up winning the lottery which gets used to draft Shane Wright

thus, finally ending Jim Benning era

the end.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
If the Canucks retain their spot or drop 2 places I suggest they will take, Drum roll please:

Corson Ceulemans
Ht/Wt:6' 2"/198 lbs
Position:RHD
Team: Brooks (AJHL)

He fills a void and has top 2 upside.

Last edited:
Reactions: GetFocht

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
If the Canucks retina their spot or drop 2 places I suggest they will take, Drum roll please:

Corson Ceulemans

plays for same team as Makar

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
If the Canucks retina their spot or drop 2 places I suggest they will take, Drum roll please:

Corson Ceulemans

yes please. This kid has big time potential

nergish

Jun 1, 2019

His stride is choppy, but he still seems to cover a lot of ice when he's out there.
I just think he's got the best hockey IQ of the class, and I love the way he controls the play from the backend.

I'd be okay with taking Power at 1st just because of the size and frame - I think a good team could build him into a monster defender.
But I tend to go for the more dynamic player 9 times outta 10, and Clarke is my guy.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Thank You for your insights, I like when a poster can back up what they believe and don’t get all cranky about a difference of an opinion, my question is I’ve heard really good things about his motor and compete level, a guy who doesn’t anything to win, I was getting Lockwood vibes but with high end skill, you are reporting he doesn’t move the feet enough, are the two reports contradictory to each other or does he play a bit like Stankos in the sense that he looks like a lazy player without the puck but is picking his spots
Cheers

Just to be clear it was with the puck only, not that he didnt have a motor or compete, i just want to clarify that. With the puck at times he does not keep up his pace and takes an extended time to make decisions with the puck. As docbenton said maybe you look at that as a plus, and how good he is, I just see it as something that concerns me. He can skate and stick handle when the puck is on his stick very well, but in my viewings at times the speed at which he did it, i just wanted to see him be more direct and do it at higher speed, and make quicker decisions when the puck is on his stick, he would often slow down, or glide while stickhandling, or hold onto the puck for an extended period in key spots which just wont happen for him at higher levels.

One complaint i had about casey mittlestadt at world jr's when he stood out as the mvp, was just how much the teams in that torunament backed in giving up the line, allowing mittlestadt to glide in and stick handle. I was interested to see him at higher levels where that wouldnt happen. Some players overcome that, some might not.

Like i said if he puts it all together and depending who is gone i would maybe take a flyer on him. But eklund on some lists is only two spots ahead and everything i said about johnson is a non issue or a strength with eklund. I see him as a much more complete player.

Last edited:

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014

I understand your concerns about tools and pace, I just wonder if you're giving enough credit to the challenges of NCAA competition for a draft eligible player. If you want to talk about pace, I don't understand people who have Chaz Lucius near the top 10; there's a guy I want to like but every time I watch his involvement in the play is low and his pace is sometimes a step behind against USHL competition. I don't care how often he can score when the opportunity arises, I'm not drafting that player.

And to clarify, I'd take Ceulemans over Johnson in the top 10, but I do like Johnson. I want credit for first starting the Ceulemans train :D

Last edited:

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I understand your concerns about tools and pace, I just wonder if you're giving enough credit to the challenges of NCAA competition for a draft eligible player. If you want to talk about pace, I don't understand people who have Chaz Lucius near the top 10; there's a guy I want to like but every time I watch his involvement in the play is low and his pace is sometimes a step behind against USHL competition. I don't care how often he can score when the opportunity arises, I'm not drafting that player.

And to clarify, I'd take Ceulemans over Johnson in the top 10, but I do like Johnson. I want credit for first starting the Ceulemans train :D

Nope not discrediting the production at the ncaa in his draft year, more-so the tools and the eye test when i view him, like some tools but have some concerns.

Infact when people are not overly impressed with berniers the fact he was a point per game in the ncaa in his draft year is incredibly impressive as well. But I also like berniers overall game alot more.

VIPettersson

Apr 9, 2018
Just a little tid bit. This Rachel Doerrie person who works for Eliteprospect is the second person know who has said Hughes had some major attitude to go along with his injury
To be fair I remember Quinn being quite confident/cocky pre-draft too and he turned out fine. I wasn't the biggest supporter of picking Quinn either but sometimes confidence/cockiness might just be based on personal perception?

Reactions: CanuckCity
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad