GDT: 2021 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1 - 8:00 P.M. ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Final prediction: we take McTavish at 4, Hughes falls to 9th overall.

giphy.gif

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
I just finished up my top 55 for the draft. I would have done more but I got a little lazy recently. I have definitely not seen every prospect so there are definitely like 3 guys out there that would've made the cut into this list but alas. Anyhow, I have had so much fun with this draft. Hope you guys enjoy!

1. Brandt Clarke: He has it all: the IQ, the physicality, the work ethic, the vision, the passing, the hands, the transition play. Clarke is a lock for my #1 player this draft. The only concern I have is with his backwards skating, but assuming he keeps developing as planned, that’s something that should be able to be fixed.
2. Matthew Beniers: What a great player this kid is. Hard-working two way center with elite skating and offensive IQ. This kid will make whatever team drafts him happy. He’s the kind of player you win with as captain. Natural born leader on the ice.
3. Dylan Guenther: Highest IQ for a forward in the draft. Elite offensive skills with great positional sense and shooting ability. Always finds open lanes and gaps in defenses and can read them like a book. He sees plays three passes ahead and always knows where to be on the ice. Kind of guy to put up a quiet 70 points each season.
4. Carson Lambos: What is there not to love? Physically imposing two way defender who shows extreme smarts in the offensive zone and in transition. Never seems to break his natural calm using his patience to dance around a guy at the blue line and create scoring opportunities in the offensive zone with a great shot to boot.
5. Fabian Lysell: Extremely high paced winger who plays a style akin to Jack Hughes. Absolutely gorgeous skater, evasive on the boards, dynamic hands, the ability to completely dominate shifts and generate seemingly absurd amounts of scoring chances because the puck always ends up on his stick, the elite back checking ability. Love this kid, and he might have the highest potential in the draft. Just needs to put on weight and develop some more consistency in his play.
6. Luke Hughes: Best skater in the draft with elite vision and hands. I am concerned about his IQ and questionable decision making, though, in both zones, and he needs to relax with the 4th forward style of play. If he can utilize his already elite skills and become more of an NHL-style defenseman, he will be unreal.
7. William Eklund: All around great player. Dominant in the SHL alongside Holtz. Extremely hard working kid for his size and uses extreme smarts and top notch hands to make things happen on both ends of the ice. I hope he improves his skating, as for his size, I would like to see him move a little bit better around the ice, but I think he can become a real smart 60 point winger at the next level.
8. Owen Power: Great size, good transitional play, all around solid at everything, but not great at anything. I think he will be a nice #3 in the NHL if he can improve his just okay defense and defensive IQ and become more of a consistent threat in the offensive zone who can make dangerous plays happen at a higher rate.
9. Brennan Othmann: Marchand-styled power forward. Absolute pest all over the ice with some serious offensive skill to go along with this. He is a player you love to have on your team, hate to play against. Throws his body around well and plays bigger than his size. He plays with extreme confidence and possesses a high IQ and elite shot. If he develops his skating and hands, Othmann can become a poor-man’s Marchand putting up 65 points a year and becoming hated league wide for his physical presence.
10. Mason McTavish: Really shot up my board with the U18s. Impressed me a lot with his combination of size, hands, physicality, and shot. Definitely has some areas to improve (playmaking and skating), but I think he’s a solid bet to become a 2nd line center who can go 30-25-55 a year and dominate physically.
11. Fyodor Svechkov: The best defensive center in the draft (Yes, even better than Beniers). Plays elite hockey on both ends of the ice, as he loves using his silky hands and great IQ entering the zone in transition to make plays happen. Would like to see more consistency in driving plays in the offensive zone and in transition, his skating, shot, and really just rounding out his offensive side. Potential Selke winner if he ups his offensive numbers, but either way, he will be a great 2C that will lock up opposing top lines.
12. Isak Rosen: Absolute play driver with outstanding offensive skills. His skating, passing, and puckhandling skills are all near the top of the draft. Definitely needs to bulk up a little bit and add to his smaller frame to not get bullied at the next level. Has sky-high potential that I hope will be fulfilled.
13. Kent Johnson: Game is based around how dynamic he is with the puck. His hands are top 3 in the draft, he has an uncanny highlight-reel goal scoring ability, and seems like a puck magnet at times with how much the puck ends up on his stick. Concerned with his skating ability, though, as it is not amazing and he struggles with using his hands and feet in coordination to make plays happen at high speeds, and his overall offensive consistency. Another kid with sky high potential though.
14. Prokhor Poltapov: One of my favorite players in the draft. Only 5’11”, but plays a ridiculously fast paced power forward-styled game that has him moving at 110% all over the ice. His offensive skills are outstanding, as he makes ridiculous plays at high speeds seemingly multiple times per possession and does a great job at creating and driving offense for himself and his line. He has no problem dangling in and out of defenders with the puck somehow on a string. His shot is great as well and rips off at fast speeds, and he throws his body all over the ice leaving guys flattened from hard hits. My only concern is that he tries to do too much a lot of the time and doesn’t utilize his teammates as well as he could. If he hits, imagine Blake Coleman with elite stickhandling and a slightly better shot.
15. Francisco Pinelli: A tough guy to get a read on this year, I greatly enjoyed watching him at the U18s and was utterly dominant during his best game. Great two way forward that throws the body around with ease all over the ice. Pinelli has a great shot and does a good job of generating offense both in transition and in the offensive zone utilizing a strong IQ to put himself in the right spots to rip shots off and send a pass for a scoring chance. I would like to see improvements in his hands and in his skating to become a truly impactful player at the next level, but I like what I have seen, and I think he can become a physical 2C at the next level with the potential for even more.
16. Simon Edvinsson: The Pavel Zacha of defensemen. His combination of size and skating is enough to make him a first round pick alone (see Wallinder last year). Unlike Wallinder, Edvinsson is great defensively, but shows questionable decision making on the offensive side of things. All the tools, questionable toolbox at this point in time. If he puts it all together, he’s an absolute monster on the ice. If not, you’ve probably got a solid enough middle pairing defenseman on your hands.
17. Matthew Coronato: Offensive machine. Some players just know how to put the puck in the net, and Coronato is one of those guys. He has a great shot, great skating ability, elite work ethic, and just a fantastic IQ that allows him to score so many goals and create so much offense without necessarily having the most amazing puck skills or even the best skating. I have questions on how well his offense will translate to the NHL, but he has the potential to be a great 25-25-50 top 6 winger with penalty killing ability.
18. Stanislav Svozil: This guy has bounced all over my rankings, but this is where he is to stay. Just a smooth skating defenseman with possibly the best breakout pass in the league creating offense from the defensive zone for his team. He has real solid defensive abilities that make him a pretty good bet to become at least a middle pairing defenseman in the NHL. I would like to see refinement to his offensive zone game to become a more dangerous threat from the blueline and generate more offense in the offensive zone.
19. Corson Ceuleamans: Great offensive defenseman with great size and outstanding skating ability. Proved that his play in the AJHL wasn’t a fluke at the U18s. His defense is questionable at this point, but his offensive skills are too good to pass up on.
20. Zach L’Hereaux: Throwback physical player with the ability to dominate games with his overlooked offensive ability. Another little snippet, L’Hereaux actually had the best overall analytics out of anyone Scouch tracked in the 2021 according to his most recent video where he finalized his draft list (this was not taken into consideration for his position on my rankings). His image is scarred by his suspension and poor attitude on the ice at times, but if he can clean up and learn how to play physically the right way, he is a nightmare to go against at both ends of the ice.
21. Jack Peart: This draft is filled with a bunch of great two-way defensemen in the late first to early 3rd rounds, and Peart is probably my favorite. Stealing this, but he looks like a smaller Slavin out there with probably the best defensive ability of any defenseman in the draft. He displays solid transitional abilities and puck skills that should make him at the least a good complimentary top 4 defenseman.
22. Mackie Samoskevich: Pure boom or bust player right here, Samoskevich has the ability to dominate in the offensive zone with some of the best puck skills in the draft. Pleasure to watch this kid play, but I would like to see more consistency and more willingness to attack scoring areas to generate more offense.
23. Samu Tuomaala: Arguably the best shot in the draft, Tuomaala has flashed great offensive skills, but never consistently put them together. He knows how to put the puck in the net and he knows how to get the puck to the net from anywhere on the ice. If he develops his offensive game to do a better job at getting a higher percentage shots from high danger areas, he can be a big time scorer at the next level.
24. Nikita Chibrikov: Solid playmaking winger who can be physical at times and dictates the pace of play with his leadership on the ice and willingness to go to the dirty areas.
25. Scott Morrow: Love that he is going to UMass, they did a great job at developing Zac Jones. Pure boom-bust given his situation with playing prep-hockey, but his offensive skill is off the charts. He needs to improve his defense a lot and develop a truly pro-styled game to be a dangerous defenseman at the next level, but he is worth the risk.
26. Cole Sillinger: Power-winger who relies on other players to generate offense for him. He has a great shot, soft hands, and a body he can (and occasionally will) throw at anyone on the ice. His severely inconsistent play away from the puck and seemingly lack of ability to use his teammates is dropping him a bit down my list, but I think he’s at least a decent bet to become a 20-20-40 kind of winger.
27. Aleksi Heimosalmi: Has flashed his elite offensive potential with his shiftiness, passing, and silky hands. Really needs to improve usage of body and his size to become a defensive presence.
28. Jack Bar: Another great two way defenseman, Bar has great size, good defensive ability, and has flashed some offensive ability along the way. Would like to see continued improvement in the offense department.
29. Colton Dach: Potential beast of a modern day power forward. Silky smooth hands, a wicked shot, and solid skating for the 6’4” Dach who shows flashes of his brother’s vision with some of the ridiculous plays he tries to make. Very raw, though, and needs to work a lot on consistency of his passing, his acceleration, and playing at a higher pace. You see what his brother has become and you just wonder…
30. William Stromgren: Consistency issues are big, but when he is at his best, he is probably a top 15 player in the draft with his combination of size, shot, and hands. I am betting on his potential, especially for a player of his caliber.
31. Jake Martin: So good defensively, but I would like to see better puck skills. At least a bottom pair defensive defenseman with the potential to be an elite puck moving defensive defenseman that any team would love to have.
32. Alex Kisakov: Love watching this kid. A flashy offensive player, Kisakov knows how to use his teammates extremely well to open up scoring lanes for himself and utilize his solid shot, something I think will help his offense translate to the NHL.
33. Logan Stankoven: Another case of “If he was 6’0”, he would be one of the best players in the draft. Extremely hard working all over the ice, Stankoven displays an impressive offensive and physical package for someone his stature. This kid could be a big time player in the NHL if he continues to utilize his size correctly and not let it become a hindrance.
34. Zach Dean: Some of the best hands in the draft, I’ve bumped Dean up a little bit recently despite always coming away wanting a little bit more. I am not a huge fan of the QMJHL guys this year at all outside of L’Hereaux.
35. Chaz Lucius: On paper, he looks good. When I watch, I am extremely unimpressed. Unsustainable shooting fuels his positive offensive numbers. Doesn’t consistently generate offense in his own zone, and he is not a center at the next level. His skating is a cause for concern and hinders his transitional play. He does have a great shot, nice hands, and shows energy on the forecheck, but there are just some guys you just don’t like, and he is one of them.
36. Logan Mailloux: The best shot for a defenseman in the draft. Mailloux won’t be drafted this year because of his off-iceissues, but I liked everything I saw out of him on the ice for the most part.
37. Krill Kirsanov: Plain and simple, a smooth two way defenseman that plays good, safe hockey on both ends of the ice
38. Oliver Kapanen: There’s just something about him. I just watch and see a natural born center, has to improve skating no doubt, but I swear, I just see something with him. Has all of the offensive skill + IQ + shot, just needs to continue improving. Dominated Finnish U20, showed flashes in Mestis while still putting up really good numbers. If consistency improves this next season, he could be a PPG in Mestis or even playing up with the big boys in Liga and producing well. Looks like a future middle 6 center with the potential to be even better if he continues improving consistency, size, and skating.
39. Aidan Hreschuk: Another of the good two way defenseman I mentioned, Hreschukl is great both ends of the ice, great shot that gets to the net well, defense is good overall, skating is good, kid just needs to keep getting better.
40. Ethan del Mastro: Loved him at the U18s, looked like the Kulikov of this year with the potential to be even better.
41. Tyler Boucher: I’m not fully sold that Boucher is anything more than a real physical bottom 6 winger, but I am willing to take that bet.
42. Sean Tschigerl: Winger that has great speed and is really good at maintaining possession in transition. He is a fierce competitor that battles hard physically and in the corners and uses his stick well to free pucks and come out with possession way more than you’d think. Definitely could see a middle 6 winger come out of him.
43. Tristan Broz: Flashes good skill + energy, hustle all over the ice, uses silky hands + playmaking ability couples with good size to make plays happen
44. Dylan Duke: Complimentary winger that loves getting to the net and banging home loose pucks, also has a great shot that he can rip from anywhere on the ice, kind of guy you can probably slot anywhere in the top 9 and he can make the most of it.
45. Artyon Martino: Martino is a breakaway machine and has great speed that allows him to generate gaps between himself and the defense. He shows smarts and passing ability that allow him to generate a ton of offense and might allow him to become a Carl Hagelin-esque winger in the NHL.
46. Simon Robertsson: He has a great shot. The rest of his game has never really impressed me, but with a shot like his, the potential is always high.
47. Sasha Pastujov: Super smart with high end vision and passing ability. You don’t need great skating to make it in the NHL, but it does make it easier. Pastujov’s style allows him to not need good skating to be effective, but in today’s NHL, his skating might be a major limiting factor on how good he can be.
48. Ville Koivunen: See Pastujov, except he has slightly better skating and slightly worse all-around offense.
49. Oskar Olausson: The guy I always forget exists in this draft. Good shot, but I would like to see much better smarts and passing in the offensive zone if he is going to be effective at the next level.
50. Evan Nause: Another of the solid two way defenseman, Nause has a great offensive game with consistent passing and shooting and the smarts to make good reads on pinching in in the offensive zone, sending great breakout passes up the ice, and joining the rush into the offensive zone. Could definitely stand to improve skating to be a real impact player.
51. Nolan Allan: There is always a need for bruising, rock solid defensive defensemen, and Allan is one of those guys. His puck skills are very underrated at their very best, but highly inconsistent. He does a good job at making simple plays and would be a great compliment to a more offensive-minded creative defenseman.
52. Daniil Chayka: Real good defensively, needs to improve all around on offense though to make it to the NHL in a big role.
53. Sean Behrens: Undersized defensemen don’t have the easiest path to the NHL, but Behrens might be an exception with how truly dominant he can look on offense. He is no slouch defensively either, and is willing to battle with the bigger boys. He will have to continue developing his strength if he wants to be effective as a smaller defenseman.
54. Shai Buium: Good all-around game, albeit inconsistent and doesn’t have amazing skating. Has good size and I could see him becoming a real nice top 4 defenseman if he hits.
55. Danila Klimovich: Extremely impressive goal scoring winger with lots of flash to his game and an extremely high compete level. Question marks surround his overall game and the utilization of his teammates. If he has the puck, his mindset is seemingly always “How do I get an open look to score”.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
If they take L.Hughes I hope the video feed/camera at his house is high quality. Don't see any reason to involve Jack in a predraft video in case L.Hughes is gone also because you want to avoid leaks.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Holy wall of text . I can’t type that much as the website refreshes and I lose all I type . I rage against the machine if I typed almost all that out and lost it before I was done

Reactions: JimEIV

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Holy wall of text . I can’t type that much as the website refreshes and I lose all I type . I rage against the machine if I typed almost all that out and lost it before I was done

I found this site unusable on mobile chrome due to this issue. I use mobile safari and it's worked much better.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
I did it in a word document and pasted it over, I was not going to risk that happening :laugh:

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
could just argue that management was like "hey jack, record this in case he's available at 4"

Then the moment becomes an odd uncanny valley experience. Would rather just have a video of Jack's genuine reaction sitting next to Luke, instead of Jack reacting to himself acting out a pre taped pick before hand.

Reactions: Guttersniped
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad