Not open for further replies.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
upload_2021-7-23_8-51-39.png

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014
I think I would explore trading down a few spots. Seems there isn't much difference between say 4 and 7 or 8 or so. I think you could pick up an asset and still get a similar talent.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I think I would explore trading down a few spots. Seems there isn't much difference between say 4 and 7 or 8 or so. I think you could pick up an asset and still get a similar talent.

I believe Fitz said he tried to trade down last year and there weren't any takers. It's worth a shot though. I'd absolutely trade down 3-4 slots if there was a decent return.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Finally!

I'd be happy with a number of options. Hopefully Clarke or Hughes, but Eklund is also great if those two are gone. And I've even opened up to Edvinsson, not my first choice but I wouldn't mind the pick.

Reactions: My3Sons

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Hughes then Eklund then Guenther then Clarke.

Hoping to see some fireworks as far as trades, but not holding my breath. Every year insiders hint that they expect the draft to have blockbuster trades but it almost never happens.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Interesting comment by Ducks GM Bob Murray:

“We just did a presentation for ownership,” Murray said, referring to Henry and Susan Samueli. “If you look at any of the top teams this season, and back when we were good, the core of their players, 80 percent of them, come from the draft, if not more. This is a big draft for us. Whoever we get (in the first round) has to be capable of playing in our core, in our top-six forwards.”

Draft serves as foundation for Ducks GM Bob Murray’s rebuilding project

Sounds like they're eyeing a forward at #3.

TF1970

May 9, 2021
Pronman's final mock draft from this morning: NHL Mock Draft 3.0: What I'm hearing about how the first round will play out

Has it going:

1. Power
2. Bernier
3. Eklund
4. Hughes
5. Edvinsson
6. McTavish
7. Guenther
8. Clarke
9. Johnson
10. Cossa

4. New Jersey: Luke Hughes, LHD, U.S. NTDP-USHL

The boring, predictable pick is what I think will ultimately transpire in New Jersey. Not every team I talk to thinks the Devils will pick Hughes, some think it could be Simon Edvinsson. But most think it will be Hughes.

29. New Jersey: Francesco Pinelli, C, Kitchener-OHL

Pinelli has mixed opinions with some scouts really believing in him as worth a top-25 pick and some hesitant to take him even in the second round. Adding him or Olausson would make a lot of sense for the Devils as they continue to round out a very strong farm system.

Yeah, I would assume if there was a betting line it would be heavily skewed towards one of those two being the pick. I'd be good with that - although I do love the idea of Clarke. Any of those three D would IMO be the best choice, bc it doesn't necessarily mean you are drafting for "current need" given how tight rankings are - but it does fit that as well theoretically. Eklund would prolly be the forward in that spot to take.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Interesting comment by Ducks GM Bob Murray:

“We just did a presentation for ownership,” Murray said, referring to Henry and Susan Samueli. “If you look at any of the top teams this season, and back when we were good, the core of their players, 80 percent of them, come from the draft, if not more. This is a big draft for us. Whoever we get (in the first round) has to be capable of playing in our core, in our top-six forwards.”

Draft serves as foundation for Ducks GM Bob Murray’s rebuilding project

Sounds like they're eyeing a forward at #3.

I think they're going Guenther or Eklund. There's been smoke with Guenther with them for a while. I'm not big on Guenther, and don't think Fitz/Castron's teams are either.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
ANA fans seem convinced they're going D but I think a forward makes more sense for them. Eklund, Guenther, or even McTavish are possibilities.

My final guess is that the top-5 goes something like:

1. Power
2. Beniers
3. Guenther
4. Hughes
5. Eklund

I don't think Clarke goes top-5. I get the feeling that teams are more bullish on the forwards in this class than the defensemen.

Last edited:

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
ANA fans seem convinced they're going D but I think a forward makes more sense for them. Eklund, Guenther, or even McTavish are possibilities.

1. Power
2. Beniers
3. Guenther
4. Hughes
5. Eklund

I don't think Clarke goes top-5. I get the feeling that teams are bore bullish on the forwards in this class than the defensemen.

Likewise. I think he's dropping into back of the top 10.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I like the curveball by Pronman about Seattle considering Eklund. It'd be interesting to see things shift if that were the case. You'd think Anaheim would run up to the podium to get Beniers if that happened.

Seems more and more likely Luke will be there barring a last minute surprise. I see no scenario where you can't take him if he's there. If he is taken before our selection, I'm on board with any of the other defensemen remaining.

This should be a fun night!

Reactions: My3Sons

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey

1. Power
2. Beniers
3. Guenther
4. Hughes
5. Eklund

I don't think Clarke goes top-5. I get the feeling that teams are bore bullish on the forwards in this class than the defensemen.
Just peeking at their draft thread they seem to have warmed greatly to Eklund actually, what's interesting is when that poll was posted last month about who they wanted to select it as Luke Hughes by a mile, now his name rarely pops up in their thread.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Just peeking at their draft thread they seem to have warmed greatly to Eklund actually, what's interesting is when that poll was posted last month about who they wanted to select it as Luke Hughes by a mile, now his name rarely pops up in their thread.

Their forward corps are in sore need of young talent up and down pipeline. They need top 6 talent now and don't have much in the minors or depth-wise.

Reactions: Lou is God

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
I like Morrow. If I’m going forward at 4 then it’s Eklund or Beniers
Both excellent picks as well. I personally think Guenther is the best forward in the draft. I honestly think he's going to be the best player from this draft class when all is said and done. Hes going to be an elite goal scorer and he's a hell of a playmaker too. His 2 way game is promising as well. If I was Buffalo, I'd be taking him at 1.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
If we take Luke do you think Jack will announce the pick?
That’s what I was thinking . Too bad the draft wasn’t in person . If it was would they bring Jack to the draft to announce the pick ? It would be kinda odd if Luke was still available and Jack goes up to announce “ with the 4th overall pick the NJ Devils are proud to select ….” opens an envelope “ wtf ?! From the Edmonton Oilkings … Ahh frack it you tell them “ mic drop

Reactions: JK3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad