2021 NHL Entry Draft Part 3 (Draft is 7/23 and 7/24, Sabres have #1 pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Alrighty draft gurus. Take a gander: Team Board Mock Draft pick #32

Who do you take at 32, assuming Dean goes 31 (he's currently running away with it)?

Olen Zellweger.

The Little Engine That Could: Why Olen Zellweger Should Be a First-Round Pick

Lots of info, breakdowns, and gifs.

Per pick224.com, Zellweger’s even-strength primary points-per-game rate sits 3rd among all draft-year defencemen in the site’s system, ahead of notable names like Luke Hughes, Owen Power, Jack Peart and Simon Edvinsson

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
The correct answer is Mackie Samoskevich.

Boucher is cool and all if he falls to the Boston pick, but find the physcality elsewhere if not.

Samoskevich legitimately has best in draft upside imo. There is risk, but you take that and run at 32.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
1) I think he’d get more than 12 minutes.

2) You ice the 12 best forwards in your system, period. Don’t waste ELC years.

If cap was a concern and playoffs a thing, sure to #2.

We have zero prospect center depth and Jack Quinn playing center is the next big thing. Ruotsalainen can improve the defensive side of his game. Is he a legit 2C/3C option in 22/23? Seems to me we could better know that if he spent more time playing prime minutes in Rochester.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
If cap was a concern and playoffs a thing, sure to #2.

We have zero prospect center depth and Jack Quinn playing center is the next big thing. Ruotsalainen can improve the defensive side of his game. Is he a legit 2C/3C option in 22/23? Seems to me we could better know that if he spent more time playing prime minutes in Rochester.
All our propect centre's are on the big club..Mitts,Cozens,R2,Asplund

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Alrighty draft gurus. Take a gander: Team Board Mock Draft pick #32

Who do you take at 32, assuming Dean goes 31 (he's currently running away with it)?

My assumption is pick #32 is the pick Columbus got from Tampa for Savard, and where Arizona falls, it’ll just be “no selection” in the record books.

Because there’s now 32 teams.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Just got my Black Book from Hockey Prospect.

They ranked their top 4 Power, Eklund, Edvinsson, and Beniers, though Mark Edward’s admitted his top 4 was really tight.

Three pages of scouting reports on Beniers. It’s like I’m reading about Ryan O’Reilly, and that’s no exaggeration. 5 team scouts have him first overall.

Edvinsson? Well huh.

What does it say about Power and Eklund?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
A lot to process, but here’s the NHL scout’s summary on the top four players in Black Book. I’ll try to find some time to type out all the comments later this week.

Beniers: 5 NHL scouts have him #1. Mature NHL ready game. Needs some work on speed but edge work and anticipation is outstanding. Highest possible grade for hockey sense, decision making, playmaking, vision, processing speed, creativity. Second highest possible grade for competitiveness, work ethic, toughness, battling and winning pucks. Only above average skills.

Went from top 10 to top 2 pick for NHL scouts after WJCs. Safe, low bust potential. Floor is 3C. Became Michigan’s 1C as a freshman. Future captain.

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Power: 5 NHL scouts have him #1. Minute eater, reliable. Excellent in transition. Solid two way defender, ceiling just below Pietrangelo.

second highest possible rating for skating. Poised. Third highest ranking for hockey sense and competitiveness. Just above average skill rating.

4 NHL scouts do not think he ends up as the best player from the draft. Scouts thought he was a soft player without a physical side. Many scouts thought he wasn’t the best player but would go first anyway.

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Edvinsson: second highest possible rating for skating, third highest ranking for every other rating.

2 NHL scouts thought he was more raw than Power but had higher potential and upside. Two scouts compared his game to Power and thought Edvinsson was much more physical.

Biggest flaw noted by almost every scout was that he was raw and required a lot of development.

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Eklund: highest possible rating for hockey sense, decision making, anticipation, playmaking, vision, deception, processing, creativity, awareness, and tempo.

Second highest possible rating for shooting, passing, stickhandling, scoring. Just above average ratings for skating and competitiveness.

1 NHL scout had Eklund #1. 2 scouts rate him #2. 3 scouts think he could end up as the best player. 3 scouts thought he ends up as a star NHL winger.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Is it like Bob's where 10 scouts are surveyed across the board, so when "2 scouts think x" that means 2/10, or just 2 in general?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Is it like Bob's where 10 scouts are surveyed across the board, so when "2 scouts think x" that means 2/10, or just 2 in general?

Black Book publishes quotes from anonymous NHL scouts. So there’s no denominator for number of scouts. It’s just the quotes they published.

Reactions: jc17

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Based off my initial read from Black Book, I’m even more entrenched now for going with Beniers first, letting Francis take a D second, and acquiring the 3rd pick from Anaheim as part of an Eichel deal, and taking Eklund.

I get that you only posted snippetts, but from what you posted...........if Power is their #1 rated prospect with a ceiling just below Petro and Beniers is their #4......and their both "just above average" skill-wise.......how does that entrench you?

I'm not trying to be snide or anything, just maybe glean a bit more info.

Because based on what you've posted......it kind of entrenches the "Power #1", "Beniers #1" AND "Eklund #1" factions.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I get that you only posted snippetts, but from what you posted...........if Power is their #1 rated prospect with a ceiling just below Petro and Beniers is their #4......and their both "just above average" skill-wise.......how does that entrench you?

I'm not trying to be snide or anything, just maybe glean a bit more info.

Because based on what you've posted......it kind of entrenches the "Power #1", "Beniers #1" AND "Eklund #1" factions.

Black Book is a mix. Hockey Prospect employs their own scouts. Ratings are from their scouts.

The comments are from NHL scouts they encountered on the scouting trail.

So while HP has Power 1st, they include perspectives from the scouts, who may think differently.

Overall, the book reinforces my opinion from day 1, where this draft will be tightly rated with no clear cut #1.

For me, however, I value Beniers over every player in the draft, and Eklund second, and what I read reinforced my personal rankings.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
The black book stuff doesn't seem to paint power as the must pick #1. I wonder if more fans will be open to a non power pick now that things look more split among league scouts

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad