2021 NHL Entry Draft Part 3 (Draft is 7/23 and 7/24, Sabres have #1 pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
The black book stuff doesn't seem to paint power as the must pick #1. I wonder if more fans will be open to a non power pick now that things look more split among league scouts
This is the front office that passed on Rossi and Perfetti. I have hope that they have the guts to pass on Power if they have doubts.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I went from Beniers no matter what to Powers no matter what. Now I’m fine with either. I’m just happy we have a shot at both. Love Eklund but can’t justify him over a possible 1C or 1D.

Beniers doesnt project to be a 1C. Hell - with Dahlin around neither does Power project to be for us.

I prefer Power but Eklund would be a reasonable pick.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Beniers doesnt project to be a 1C. Hell - with Dahlin around neither does Power project to be for us.

I prefer Power but Eklund would be a reasonable pick.

If we're building a balanced lineup, which is probably the case if we're trading Eichel away, we don't need Beniers to be a #1 C. Being a good to great top 6 player is the most we can expect with this pick.

Also, we don't need Power to be a #1 D man. Be a good to great top 4 D man and we'll be fine.

We need to stop looking for guys who will "carry" the team, and start focusing on guys who we can use to build a team with.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
If we're building a balanced lineup, which is probably the case if we're trading Eichel away, we don't need Beniers to be a #1 C. Being a good to great top 6 player is the most we can expect with this pick.

Also, we don't need Power to be a #1 D man. Be a good to great top 4 D man and we'll be fine.

We need to stop looking for guys who will "carry" the team, and start focusing on guys who we can use to build a team with.

I agree with this - i was responding to the OP suggesting Eklund would be a bad pick because he isn't projected to be a 1C or 1D.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
This is the front office that passed on Rossi and Perfetti. I have hope that they have the guts to pass on Power if they have doubts.
Perfetti is a small slow skating forward who will bust.Why wouldn't you want the best player in the draft?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Because that’s unknown but what is known is the only position we have filled out in the pipeline is the exact one he plays? Left shot defenseman?

you act like it’s this cut and dry there is only one possible outcome best player in this class…when…the entire story of this draft since day 1 is that there isn’t.

so when the question “why wouldn’t you want the best player in the draft” is asked…the answer is…they do

Reactions: jc17

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It’s not the same front office. I get not having faith in it because they haven’t done any thing yet. But Karmanos and Ventura weren’t here last draft and that’s a huge change.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I finally got around to watching the Scouching video on Power. I'm trying hard to not let confirmation bias cloud my evaluation but it's hard because it lined up with all of my concerns.

Take Beniers 1st, hopefully Seattle takes Power and if we get Anaheim's pick we can get Eklund there.

As stated earlier, that’s my exact hope.

Reactions: Eich Jackel

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Wallstedt >> Cossa. I think Wallstedt has a chance to be a generational goaltender.
Listening to prospect radio on the NHL network yesterday and the scout compared the two in great detail. Wallstedt is a blocker style goalie with incredible angles control but needs to clean up the top half of the net. Cossa is the more athletic goalie and in his words the next generation style of goalie. He preferred Cossa.

Reactions: Professor Chaos

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Because that’s unknown but what is known is the only position we have filled out in the pipeline is the exact one he plays? Left shot defenseman?

you act like it’s this cut and dry there is only one possible outcome best player in this class…when…the entire story of this draft since day 1 is that there isn’t.

so when the question “why wouldn’t you want the best player in the draft” is asked…the answer is…they do
Actually since I watcher Power and Beniers alot either one would suffice.Just because Dahlin plays the left side but says he likes the right side it doesn't mean you don't take him.A case could be made with Beniers depending on the Eichel and Reinhart situation. I however don't want a small non aggressive left winger as my first pick.We are easy to play against as it is.Lets start drafting players that are tougher to play against,we have enough of the soft players as it is

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I would hope a lot. Otherwise why bring them in and give them the titles and responsibilities they have.

I could see them having way more impact on the pro side of things than the draft, especially this year with so short a runway between being hired and the draft.

Karmanos was at the U18s. So he might have an impact on the draft. But, Venturs seems more focused on the pro game from everything I've read about him.

Penguins promote analytics guru Sam Ventura to Director of Hockey Research

In his new full-time role, Ventura will report directly to [Jason Karmanos], providing a quantitative perspective on hockey operations decisions, including player acquisition and on-ice strategy.

Reactions: joshjull

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
If you want to go forward instead of D, you go with Eklund. It's really not even close in terms of Beniers and Eklund. Eklund does everything better.

I'm not even convinced Beniers could handle the center role on a team. I couldn't stop laughing watching him try to take a faceoff. Completely clueless.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
If you want to go forward instead of D, you go with Eklund. It's really not even close in terms of Beniers and Eklund. Eklund does everything better.

I'm not even convinced Beniers could handle the center role on a team. I couldn't stop laughing watching him try to take a faceoff. Completely clueless.

hahhahahaha, you’re not sure if he can handle the role of a center, and the example you use is “faceoffs”?

wow.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
NHL Scouts Poll 2021: Is Owen Power the clear-cut No. 1? Who is most underrated?

This year’s draft seems to be more volatile at the top than in previous years. Who would you take with the No. 1 pick?

• I think Owen Power (D, Michigan, Big Ten) has earned the right to be selected No. 1 and should go first. He has proven himself at many levels.
  • Owen Power (D, Michigan, Big Ten) is No. 1 for me. His play at the world championships solidified that position for me.
  • Owen Power (D, Michigan, Big Ten). Dominant against NCAA competition as a true freshman. Size, skating, poise. Will play big minutes in NHL sooner than later.
  • Matthew Beniers (C, Michigan, Big Ten). He impacts the game in all zones and makes teammates better. Guys like him help you compete for Cups.
  • Matthew Beniers (C, Michigan, Big Ten).
  • William Eklund (LW, Djurgarden, SHL). He’s the most skilled player with the most upside.
  • It would be very tough for me to answer due to lack of viewings, and I think a lot of teams are in the same boat.

I wonder when the last time was that there was this amount of variety in opinions about the #1 pick?

Which goalie would you pick: Jesper Wallstedt or Sebastian Cossa?

• Jesper Wallstedt (G, Lulea, SHL), (he) played very well in the (Swedish) league against men.
  • Jesper Wallstedt (G, Lulea, SHL) has proven to be a legitimate prospect on the world stage and will likely go first.
  • Jesper Wallstedt (G, Lulea, SHL)
  • I probably would go with Jesper Wallstedt (G, Lulea, SHL), I think he is technically more developed than Sebastian Cossa (G, Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL). Cossa might have a higher ceiling and I know some of my colleagues like Cossa a bit more. Wallstedt is a big, unspectacular goalie who seldom overplays situations, he already looks very mature compared to his age. I’m not so sure how much further he can develop but he is already very good.
  • Sebastian Cossa (G, Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL), just more familiar with him.
  • Sebastian Cossa (G, Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL), but only because I haven’t seen Wallstedt as much.

Viewing as the reason for Cossa over Wallstedt is something.

Last edited:

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
hahhahahaha, you’re not sure if he can handle the role of a center, and the example you use is “faceoffs”?

wow.

It's one of the responsibilities of a center, but also, during the World Championships he played RW.

He plays really small, something that is tough to overcome as a center that needs control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad