2021 NHL Entry Draft Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Still pissed we should have been on the clock at 9th overall with Perfetti on the board. Thanks NHL and a completely unmotivated Pens team!

I don't see myself getting into the 2021 class all that much... it's hard to with the hockey world turned upside down and most of these kids not even playing yet. It should be an even bigger crapshoot so having all the extra picks might be a bigger benefit than normal - if they actually use them that is.
Yeah, it's definitely unfortunate we have Kaiden Guhle instead of Marco Rossi.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Is there going to be a Subway Series - Russia vs Canada this year? Or anything similar, pre u20?

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Is there going to be a Subway Series - Russia vs Canada this year? Or anything similar, pre u20?
Seems very complicated to put together at the moment , I'm kinda surprised they still plan on having a WJC around Christmas time TBH. It'll be weird for sure with a lot of kids not having played any hockey at all yet.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Seems very complicated to put together at the moment , I'm kinda surprised they still plan on having a WJC around Christmas time TBH. It'll be weird for sure with a lot of kids not having played any hockey at all yet.

WJC easier because you can bubble.

No way they will do the super series.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't want to pick a blueliner but just watched Stanislav Svozil who was impressive against the U-20 Russians today. I know the Pats drafted him 15th OA in the CHL Import Draft.

Plekatorz

Jun 6, 2019
As I said earlier, we talked to Martin Pouliot (a scout of the Washington Capitals) last week and asked him a lot of questions for our latest episode of the TSLH Podcast. I tried to translate all the information. I’m francophone so sorry for my english but I think it is understandable.

You can listen to the french episode on our youtube channel, spotify, speaker, apple podcast, etc.

The coaches has their word to say in the trades. When there is a player that does not fit in the line up, he can ask the GM to find another player. After that, the GM asked his pro scout for a list of name that fits the coach’s needs and he uses that to contact other GM.

Usually, the GM, scout, coach, etc. do not speak (to source, journalist, etc.) about the trade market and the names that are in it. When there are rumours, most of the time, they are false or a way for the teams to manipulate other GM. There is a code that is respected by everyone. It is to protect you (scout) or other players, gm and coaches from embarrassment.

Skating is the easiest thing to upgrade for a prospect but after 24 yo it is more difficult. Hockey IQ, hands and scoring abilities are inner and cannot be teach. However, sometime it is the only thing that prevents a player to succeed in the NHL, so it is not easy to ignore skating problem at junior level.

Usually, for the early round in the draft, there is a consensus for the picks. After that, the GM and head scout make the decision. During the season, regional scout can invite the head scout to see X player and try to convince him to select him in the later round. So when you have a team that takes a lot of player from the same junior league, you can understand that the scout from that league has the confidence of the head scout. For Martin Pouliot, the more you draft from different league, the better you are. In addition, the more you have a homogenous philosophy between the scouts, the better you are too.

The NCAA should revised the 4 years rules before loosing an unsigned player. The CHL is clearly disadvantage.

The pandemic changed the way scouting is done. There is more video right now. For some team, when everything will be normal, they will use more video. For other, it will be : back to the rink. It depends a lot team by team. We can think that there will be some gems that were not draft in 2020 because of the pandemic and the lacks of exposure. We’ll see.

For the last decade or so, the Capitals always had a chance at the Stanley Cup. It happens because of a full reconstruction. They develop their young players well and they were lucky at the draft. A lot of player fell to their pick (like Kuznetsov). Because of Ovechkin, they could select them and they came over. It happened for key players in their system. Maybe that a new reconstruction of their team will happen in a near future but he did not really said that clearly.

BPA at the draft is always the best thing to do. It gives you assets that you can use to trade if you need it. The second part of a season is important for the scouts because the hockey is more difficult. The pandemic had an effect on that this season and it s***.
Hendrix Lapierre was high on the head scout list. He contacted his team on many occasions during the year to know how he felt. They really wanted him and are happy that he is a part of the team.

World junior will be difficult for Canada. All Europeans are playing right now and will be more than ready for the tournament.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
As I said earlier, we talked to Martin Pouliot (a scout of the Washington Capitals) last week and asked him a lot of questions for our latest episode of the TSLH Podcast. I tried to translate all the information. I’m francophone so sorry for my english but I think it is understandable.

You can listen to the french episode on our youtube channel, spotify, speaker, apple podcast, etc.

The coaches has their word to say in the trades. When there is a player that does not fit in the line up, he can ask the GM to find another player. After that, the GM asked his pro scout for a list of name that fits the coach’s needs and he uses that to contact other GM.

Usually, the GM, scout, coach, etc. do not speak (to source, journalist, etc.) about the trade market and the names that are in it. When there are rumours, most of the time, they are false or a way for the teams to manipulate other GM. There is a code that is respected by everyone. It is to protect you (scout) or other players, gm and coaches from embarrassment.

Skating is the easiest thing to upgrade for a prospect but after 24 yo it is more difficult. Hockey IQ, hands and scoring abilities are inner and cannot be teach. However, sometime it is the only thing that prevents a player to succeed in the NHL, so it is not easy to ignore skating problem at junior level.

Usually, for the early round in the draft, there is a consensus for the picks. After that, the GM and head scout make the decision. During the season, regional scout can invite the head scout to see X player and try to convince him to select him in the later round. So when you have a team that takes a lot of player from the same junior league, you can understand that the scout from that league has the confidence of the head scout. For Martin Pouliot, the more you draft from different league, the better you are. In addition, the more you have a homogenous philosophy between the scouts, the better you are too.

The NCAA should revised the 4 years rules before loosing an unsigned player. The CHL is clearly disadvantage.

The pandemic changed the way scouting is done. There is more video right now. For some team, when everything will be normal, they will use more video. For other, it will be : back to the rink. It depends a lot team by team. We can think that there will be some gems that were not draft in 2020 because of the pandemic and the lacks of exposure. We’ll see.

For the last decade or so, the Capitals always had a chance at the Stanley Cup. It happens because of a full reconstruction. They develop their young players well and they were lucky at the draft. A lot of player fell to their pick (like Kuznetsov). Because of Ovechkin, they could select them and they came over. It happened for key players in their system. Maybe that a new reconstruction of their team will happen in a near future but he did not really said that clearly.

BPA at the draft is always the best thing to do. It gives you assets that you can use to trade if you need it. The second part of a season is important for the scouts because the hockey is more difficult. The pandemic had an effect on that this season and it s***.
Hendrix Lapierre was high on the head scout list. He contacted his team on many occasions during the year to know how he felt. They really wanted him and are happy that he is a part of the team.

World junior will be difficult for Canada. All Europeans are playing right now and will be more than ready for the tournament.

Thank you very much for this, and thanks for the translation. Your English is better than my French can ever hope to be so I appreciate your effort.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
watching Omaha Lancers and Zakary Karpa had a good game, big center that's a great skater. He was passed over this past draft as he didn't have a big role with the USNDTP but if it's a weak draft next summer or whenever it ends up being, he might be someone to keep an eye on. He'll be at Princeton next year, not a very good program but we'll see how the year goes for him.

For the '22 draft I thought Aiden Dubinsky played well, he's former NHLer Steve Dubinsky's kid

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
depending on where the Habs end up in the draft, and I don't know where he's rated but I just got done watching a game from last year of Matthew Samoskevich, looked good and @Whitesnake will be happy if we pick him since he's slated to join Michigan.
Seems like consensus is mid-late first. Sort of a guy who's not there yet in the rankings, but his rise is inevitable.

Jesker

May 8, 2010
Montreal
Does anyone know what were the lines for Michigan in their first two games ? So many good offensive players.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Haven't watched the games but in their first 2 NCAA games, Kent Johnson (1-4) and Matt Beniers (2-1) have 5 and 3 pts respectively.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Haven't watched the games but in their first 2 NCAA games, Kent Johnson (1-4) and Matt Beniers (2-1) have 5 and 3 pts respectively.

It's worthwhile viewing, Michigan is loaded with top prospects. Wouldn't be surprised if those two plus Power end up in the top 5 or so picks. They're playing Caufield today/tomorrow.

Reactions: Acadien86

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Beniers and Johnson both with assists on Michigan's third goal.

Credit to Johnson for a good forecheck, but Beniers pass was quick, crisp and basically made the goal.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Beniers has looked good, Johnson I didn't notice until he made a sick spin o round play in the 2nd. Power I haven't noticed much.
Beniers stands out a lot more as a more energetic, puck thief with a strong forecheck. His first few steps are way better than Johnson's too.

Beniers does a lot more on the rush but with the puck on their stick and a defensive formation already established, I have a lot more faith in Johnson to pick it apart.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
We released our November rankings this past week, a very interesting year ahead of us.

Top-5
1-Owen Power D Michigan
2-Kent Johnson LW Michigan
3-Luke Hughes LD USNTDP U18
4-Simon Edvinsson LD Frolunda U20
5-Oskar Olausson LW HV71 U20

wildD

Jul 25, 2015
One of the players i hope they draft is James Malatesta
Scouting Report on him
Strong North-South skater who is difficult to detail in mid-flight. Not shy of contact and will dish it back if the occasion fits. Though not the largest famed player, he willingly goes to battle along the boards and in the corners.

Reactions: David Suzuki

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I wouldn't be surprised if Power doesn't go 1st OA.

I don't follow the drafts much at all anymore but I'm starting to wonder if '21 isn't as weak as was talked about it. Perhaps at the top it's weaker then most years but if we could trade up we might be able to get our hands on a very interesting forward cause after Caufield we got nothing for 1st line forward upside. We must get a high end forward, it's extremely bleak and now a massive issue.

Granted it's so early into the new season, so a lot can happen over the coming months of course but there have been some impressive forwards so I'm hoping it ends up not being as weak since we have 14 picks again (not that we will use all 14 this time either)

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I wouldn't be surprised if Power doesn't go 1st OA.

I don't follow the drafts much at all anymore but I'm starting to wonder if '21 isn't as weak as was talked about it. Perhaps at the top it's weaker then most years but if we could trade up we might be able to get our hands on a very interesting forward cause after Caufield we got nothing for 1st line forward upside. We must get a high end forward, it's extremely bleak and now a massive issue.

Granted it's so early into the new season, so a lot can happen over the coming months of course but there have been some impressive forwards so I'm hoping it ends up not being as weak since we have 14 picks again (not that we will use all 14 this time either)
Power has some notable flaws that other players don't have.

I don't know who the first overall ought to be just yet, but I'm not convinced at all that it's Power. Both Beniers and Johnson have been more impressive so far with UMich.

Reactions: montreal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad