2021 NHL Entry Draft Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'd be surprised if it wasn't Powers.. he's a unique blend on the back-end, teams are going to be enamored with the idea of him.

I'm gonna watch more of him this year, but he's also at a pretty high level for a draft eligible d man, with guys of his profile who take longer to bloom.

Certainly ain't gonna be Raty at 1 OA.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'd be surprised if it wasn't Powers.. he's a unique blend on the back-end, teams are going to be enamored with the idea of him.

I'm gonna watch more of him this year, but he's also at a pretty high level for a draft eligible d man, with guys of his profile who take longer to bloom.

Scouts always LOVE a giant dman prospect who can move and do a bit of everything, even more so when there isn't that clearcut 1st OV on top. He's closer to Erik Johnson than he is to Hedman but it's still a tantalizing toolbox for a potential first pairing D, you can see the potential there.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB

I mean, I think scouting staffs are becoming increasingly methodical in their approach to the draft. And besides, Edvinsson provides a lot of the same intrigue as Power, just with far less exposure.

At this point, I see Power, Edvinsson, Clarke, Johnson, and maybe even Beniers or Wallstedt being in the running for that 1OA.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

The WJC could decide how Raty is seen for the rest of the year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The Chicago Steel are fun to watch for prospects too. I've been impressed with Matthew Coronato and of course future Michigan forward Mackie Samoskevich. Plus there's former NHLer Jason Blake's son Jackson who also has looked good so far this year.

For some reason I've been getting more into this draft then any drafts I have in many years.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
The Chicago Steel are fun to watch for prospects too. I've been impressed with Matthew Coronato and of course future Michigan forward Mackie Samoskevich. Plus there's former NHLer Jason Blake's son Jackson who also has looked good so far this year.

For some reason I've been getting more into this draft then any drafts I have in many years.
The Steel just have a monopoly on elite USHL prospects. It was the same thing last year with Colangelo, Farrell, Brisson, Fontaine, Reid, Power, De St. Phalle, Ma, Coronato, Samoskevich, Ufko on the team.

Now this year they've got Coronato, Farrell, Samoskevich, Blake, Ufko, Luca Fantilli, Adam Fantilli, Moore, Levandowski.

I'm convinced Ryan Hardy is either a genius, or there's some under-the-table transactions going on. Or maybe good players just wanna play with good players, who knows.

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The Steel just have a monopoly on elite USHL prospects. It was the same thing last year with Colangelo, Farrell, Brisson, Fontaine, Reid, Power, De St. Phalle, Ma, Coronato, Samoskevich, Ufko on the team.

Now this year they've got Coronato, Farrell, Samoskevich, Blake, Ufko, Luca Fantilli, Adam Fantilli, Moore, Levandowski.

I'm convinced Ryan Hardy is either a genius, or there's some under-the-table transactions going on. Or maybe good players just wanna play with good players, who knows.

i saw some of their games last year too, it's hard to get a read on players when the team is that stacked. they have scored 19 goals already in just 3 games, yikes.

I noticed they had a few former NHLer's sons, Shane Doan, Jimmy Dowd sons, and Jason Blake.

Reactions: Habs76

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
if '21 ends up weak or not deep at least, we should see a number of the undrafted '20 guys go in '21. I haven't seen him yet but noticed Tobias Handl is off to a decent start in the Czech league as the top U-19 scorer.

There's Michael Citara, a teammate of Jack Smith's in the USHL, he's off to a good start on a low scoring team, headed to Providence next season so he'll be facing Struble, Tuch and I think they have one of the better coaches in the NCAA (he's coaching USA at the WJC's this year)

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
if '21 ends up weak or not deep at least, we should see a number of the undrafted '20 guys go in '21. I haven't seen him yet but noticed Tobias Handl is off to a decent start in the Czech league as the top U-19 scorer.

There's Michael Citara, a teammate of Jack Smith's in the USHL, he's off to a good start on a low scoring team, headed to Providence next season so he'll be facing Struble, Tuch and I think they have one of the better coaches in the NCAA (he's coaching USA at the WJC's this year)
I mean there's surprising overagers every year, but I don't think 2021 is lacking in depth particularly relative to other years.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I mean there's surprising overagers every year, but I don't think 2021 is lacking in depth particularly relative to other years.

2021 suffers from a lack of a true #1 prospect a year out and without a large number of tantalizing offensive talents.

Raskolnikow

Jun 19, 2018
I'm starting to like the 2021 draft class. There are less surefire NHL stars than 2020 for sure, but the depth of the first round is intriguing. The USNTDP group is very interesting, and it seems to be a good year for Sweden again. I really like Oskar Olausson, a big winger with great speed and silky mitts.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

it seems early to say since we haven't had the OHL or WHL play yet, was just saying if it's a year where it really drops off then maybe they look at more of these 19 year olds. With covid messing things up as far as playing time and all it's hard to say what impact it will have on the draft prospects.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Maxim Korovyakov, a teammate of Gordins, with a 3 pt game from last week. He's interesting with his mix of size and some decent skill from what i've seen.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So does Daniyal Dzhaniyev get drafted? He's listed at just 5'4 but is off to a very good start in the USHL with 4 goals and 7 pts in 6 games on one of the worst offenses in the USHL.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
So does Daniyal Dzhaniyev get drafted? He's listed at just 5'4 but is off to a very good start in the USHL with 4 goals and 7 pts in 6 games on one of the worst offenses in the USHL.
I mean if Xavier Simoneau can't get drafted, I doubt he does. He's a second-year eligible (by a day, but still) and his NTDP career doesn't even come close to rivalling, say Sean Dhooghe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad