Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henrique Iglesias

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Power is a great pick at 3 or 4 to me. I just don’t see him as a 1 overall
Honestly I don’t know a lot about the top prospects for this draft yet, so I can’t give an informed opinion on that. What I do know is Power being 6’6” wouldn’t deter me....

Ideally we’d get a top forward but it doesn’t sound like this is the draft class for that.

Luke Hughes intrigues me....how does he compare to Quinn?

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Honestly I don’t know a lot about the top prospects for this draft yet, so I can’t give an informed opinion on that. What I do know is Power being 6’6” wouldn’t deter me....

Ideally we’d get a top forward but it doesn’t sound like this is the draft class for that.

Luke Hughes intrigues me....how does he compare to Quinn?

Also a great skater with good offensive instinct.
He is 5 inches taller but also skinny.

Jack and Quin both say that Luke is the best of all 3 of them.

Reactions: Henrique Iglesias

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Also a great skater with good offensive instinct.
He is 5 inches taller but also skinny.

Jack and Quin both say that Luke is the best of all 3 of them.

How is he defensively? I haven't watched Quinn play much, but one of my friends keeps complaining how he's a defensive liability out there.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
I really hope we pick up at least one more first from a playoff team at deadline, Olausson looks good and a lot of mock drafts show that Lambos and Lucius could drop

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
How is he defensively? I haven't watched Quinn play much, but one of my friends keeps complaining how he's a defensive liability out there.
A little bit, but man can he play with the puck. he's so dangerous in the offensive zone and on the rush that you almost put up with a little of that. He has to be one of the smartest players in the game right now.

Reactions: lwvs84

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

From what little I’ve seen he’s better just because of his size alone.

I would say they’re right about Quinn. He is dynamic with the puck but is not what I would call a complete defenseman at this point - this year he’s been an absolute train wreck behind his own blueline. His upside to me defensively is what Lubo was - good positionally with a good stick but will never be among the games best in his own end because of his size.

Reactions: lwvs84

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
How is it decided where Seattle picks? Are they guaranteed a top 3 pick?

I assume that they get the Vegas treatment, I think they had the 3rd best odds. Amazingly, all 3 at the top were leapfrogged and they ended up with the 6th pick, which was Cody Glass (who I still think is going to be a very good NHL player when it’s said and done)

Reactions: mightyquack

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
From what little I’ve seen he’s better just because of his size alone.

I would say they’re right about Quinn. He is dynamic with the puck but is not what I would call a complete defenseman at this point - this year he’s been an absolute train wreck behind his own blueline. His upside to me defensively is what Lubo was - good positionally with a good stick but will never be among the games best in his own end because of his size.

He is 5 inches taller then Lubo was so you would hope that there is a lot more room for a physical defensive game.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Smaht scouting have interesting insight on Matt Beniers and his linemate Kent Johnson. So from what I gather:

BeniersJohnson
CenterWinger (center?)
Play driverPlay supporter
Not flashy/creativeExtremely flashy/creative
Great skaterGood skater
Great transition gameGreat transition game
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
FWIW, their ranking with full player descriptions can be seen here.

Interestingly, they seem to think that William Eklund is the best forward in this draft. Strong two-way play, pro ready game, ultra high hockey IQ named as his main positives. Main criticism is straight line speed.

Eklund is the highest IQ player in this draft. He already understands coverages better than most NHL top six forwards. The Stockholm native seems to know what defensemen are going to do before they themselves make a decision. As a result he manages to get completely free around the slot, near the crease, behind the net, and in the circles more often than seems plausible.

Last edited:

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

Interestingly, they seem to think that William Eklund is the best forward in this draft. Strong two-way play, pro ready game, ultra high hockey IQ named as his main positives. Main criticism is straight line speed.

He is putting up the same numbers as Holtz and Raymond are this year in the SHL even though he is a year behind. Very impressive.

Interesting how we hear how bad this draft is but I really think it is just missing that top tier like the top 2-3 guys last year. I think the top 7 guys this year are on the same level as the second tier guys last season.

Edit: Note, he is one of the oldest players in the draft this year.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
He is putting up the same numbers as Holtz and Raymond are this year in the SHL even though he is a year behind. Very impressive.

Interesting how we hear how bad this draft is but I really think it is just missing that top tier like the top 2-3 guys last year. I think the top 7 guys this year are on the same level as the second tier guys last season.

Edit: Note, he is one of the oldest players in the draft this year.

Exactly. I'd say 1 thru 8 in this year's draft is on par with 2 to 6 in last year's draft. No real #1 but all 8 are great prospects. Hughes, Clarke, Edvinsson, Powers, Beniers, Eklund hockey buzz, Johnson, Guenther (or wallstedt).

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary

Always on board with drafting players that think the game at a high level. With the Ducks affinity for Swedes and need for forwards I’m sure he’s high on their list

Reactions: Opak
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad